NE1: Capital Relocation Amendment [Tabled] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:18:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Capital Relocation Amendment [Tabled] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Capital Relocation Amendment [Tabled]  (Read 3654 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: July 19, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

This is a fair amendment.

I would suggest New Haven, CT.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 08:33:33 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

Further to the remarks from Senator Scott, I do believe that compromise is the only answer to the issue of a new capital.

I would further propose that New Haven be named as the new capital, following discussions with the city, of course.

My suggestion of New Haven appears to be gaining support as the new capital location.  New Haven is a beautiful city and is conveniently loated for a capital.

We should find a suitable location in the vicinity of New Haven and build a new capital area from scratch, with all the builings and amenities necessary for a modern, efficient, and attractive capital area, befitting the Northeast Region.

We need a mechanism in place, however, to control cost overruns, so I would like to see The Winfield Doctrine become law before proceeding with any new capital construction.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

(Sent via email, as I am at this time in the air enroute to Liechtenstein.  I wish to express my thanks to Vice President/Secretary of External Affairs Kalwejt for making available to me one of the departments private jets for the trip to and from Liechtenstein.)

A neo-gothic designed capital area would be most impressive, Mr. Simfan.

I would fully support your recommendation for this design.  It would fit in beautifully with the architecture of New Haven.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »

Representative Simfan, you are the main proponent of a new capital.  Would you rather Buffalo than New Haven?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 02:33:00 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

(via email from Vaduz, Liechtenstein)

We should strike a commission to see if a suitable location exists for a new capitl area in the greater New Haven area before we run head over heels to Buffalo.

New Haven is ideally situated for a Northeast capital area, whereas Buffalo is too remote, take that as you will.

I am confident we can locate the suitable square mileage required for a new capital somewhere in the greater New Haven area.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »

I fail to be. As a compromise, let us select Walden, NY as our capital.

(Via email from Vaduz, Liechtenstein)

Simfan, Walden is certainly a picturesque village, and is well situated conveniently for the Northeast.  Besides this, can you explain your reasoning for Walden as a possible location please?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »

(Via email from Vaduz, Liechtenstein)

I do not agree that because Walden is a small center that it is not suitable to become a capital area.  The Governor is exaggerating that locating the capital in this area will disrupt everyone's lives who live in the area.  Locating the capital in the Walden area will put this part of the state on the map, and will bring business and jobs to the area.

The way we have plans to build the capital area, wherever it is, a considerable amount of infrastructure will have to be constructed anyway.  The capital is being constructed from the ground up.  We will not be using existing buildings.  The village will not be demolished, it will be expanded, and the people who now live in the area will appreciate the boost to the local economy. 

The capital will not be in Walden itself, rather in the Walden area.  The Walden area is suitably situated to be an ideal location for the entire Northeast.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:28:16 AM »

Demolishing Walden is not an issue right now. The capital need not be Walden per se, simply in that triangle of Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, and Middletown, NY. Putting it in a dense urban center like New Haven, as you said Governor, would have adverse effects... but it would in Buffalo, or any other city. Putting it an area near cities would minimize those while the enforcement of New Urbanist development principles will take care of the rest.

(Via email from Liechtenstein)

The Governor implied that I had said we are building a new city.  This is a false assumption.  Because we would be building in the Walden area, or whatever area, does not mean we will be building a new city.  It means we willl be building a capital area in the area of an existing community.  We will most definitely not be building a new city. 

The above statement from Representative Simfan summarizes my meaning very well. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »

That is absolute nonsense.  A capital area is the buildings and insrastructure for a modern, efficient capital.  It does not include the myriads of other buildings and infrastructure that an entire city has.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »

I assume he means that we'll only have to build government buildings and roads and stuff.

Pretty much this.  Thank you Representative Jones.

I still believe that Representative Simfan's suggestion for the Walden area is an excellent idea.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies