Which U.S. President is the preceding poster most like (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:44:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which U.S. President is the preceding poster most like (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which U.S. President is the preceding poster most like  (Read 16881 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 20, 2012, 07:30:35 AM »

James Buchanan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »

James Buchanan. Or Thomas Jefferson.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »

You gave me a pretty good one with Adams, so I'm gonna try to be creative in return. I'm going out on a limb here, but nothing ever got done without doing so, so I'll say Jackson? Anti-bank, pro-suffrage, etc. But that might be an insult.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »

I'm'a try again. Thomas Jefferson?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:50 PM »

James A. Garfield.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »

20RP12: Eh, there are a couple economic conservatives (or liberals, depending on your terminology) to cite. Cleveland and Coolidge of course, and thanks to our poster Rooney, Martin Van Buren also pops up on the screen. However, both Cleveland and Coolidge as I recall would've been viewed as socially conservative in their time.

Ultimately, it comes down to James Buchanan. The ultimate non-interventionist. He didn't do a thing in response to the Panic of 1857 and was so anti-war he didn't wage it even on his country's own soil. Plus, he was a true libertarian, possibly being gay in a time when it wasn't fashionable.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »

You're in luck. There are a number of Presidents that you could be compared with on a political level. Teddy Roosevelt (R-NY), 1901-1909, springs to mind. The New Deal Era gives you three presidents to choose from. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D-NY) 1933-1945, Harry S. Truman (D-MO) 1945-1953, and Lyndon Baines Johnson (D-TX) 1963-1969. All three of these have traits I'm guessing you admire. And of course you'd probably rather have any of them as President right now than the current NeoLiberal in office. However, out of all of them, Mr. Franklin D. Roosevelt was President the longest, had the most lasting impact, and the biggest list of accomplishments, so I choose him.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

Looks like this needs a bump.

For Mr. Republitarian, I've already said Jackson for him, something he confirmed in a later post. Let's see, pretty laissez faire (I guess) on economics, and what I guess might be a social liberal for his time (white male suffrage). As well, he was a veteran and General (?) in the War of 1812, so I'm guessing he would be at least reasonably hawkish. All those values seem to confer pretty much with what someone who uses Goldwater as their main ideological model.

However, I don't want to bore him with someone I've already suggested. So let's look at others. I see James Madison, James K. Polk, Franklin W. Pierce, Ulysses S. Grant, Chester Alan Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Calvin Coolidge, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and of course, Ronald Reagan all as possibilities.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »

John Adams because of his former name change. Cheesy

What? I'm flattered of course, but confused. Are you referring to my stint as "His Rotundity, the Vice President, Duke of Braintree" (O-MA)?

**SKIP**
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »

John Adams because of his former name change. Cheesy

What? I'm flattered of course, but confused. Are you referring to my stint as "His Rotundity, the Vice President, Duke of Braintree" (O-MA)?

**SKIP**

Yes, that is correct. Another fan of David McCullough's John Adams I see. Smiley

Yup, though I only made it to the first part of his Vice Presidency before I had to return it to the library. I also read the stuff on the 1796 election due to my doing a paper on it (which is why I had it originally). Good stuff.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »

I like to think Ike.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Martin Van Buren, hero of the free peoples everywhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies