14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening  (Read 16718 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:10:59 AM »

Wow, horrible news Sad

http://www.smh.com.au/world/14-killed-in-mass-shooting-at-batman-screening-20120720-22fdw.html
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »

Not exactly the kind of news I want to hear about as someone who works at a theater.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

Positively terrible news! Not that far from Littleton either. Makes it all the worse for the local populace.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »

CBS This Morning now says that the death toll has been reduced to 12 from 14.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

Suspect is in custody and he may have put bombs in his apartment and in the mall parking lot.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/20/157090121/real-life-horror-many-killed-dozens-wounded-at-colorado-movie-theater
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »

You know what America needs... some platitudes about how we're all hurting, followed by the NRA becoming ultra-defensive, a bunch of dick's saying "Guns don't kill people, people do," a proposal by a big city, minority Democrat to restrict the number of bazookas that a citizen can own to 10, and absolutely, positively, no action on guns. That'll do the trick!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »

You know what America needs... some platitudes about how we're all hurting, followed by the NRA becoming ultra-defensive, a bunch of dick's saying "Guns don't kill people, people do," a proposal by a big city, minority Democrat to restrict the number of bazookas that a citizen can own to 10, and absolutely, positively, no action on guns. That'll do the trick!
I think your post may be one of the lowest I have ever seen here. Don't politicize this.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »

I think your post may be one of the lowest I have ever seen here. Don't politicize this.
How is it low to decry our country's moral ineptitude on an issue that could save hundreds of lives and dramatically reduce crime? I'm sick and tired of reading stories on the news about school shootings as if they're common, dime a dozen events; events that we have to accept in this brave new world where guns are easily obtainable in the name of "liberty".

The lives of these human beings is worth more than a Paulist buzzword.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 11:24:12 AM by Wiz in Wis »

Oh, I'm so very sorry to have upset your delicate sensibilities! Why shouldn't this be polticized? As Mayor Michael Bloomberg just said a few hours ago:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I think Michael Grunwald on TIME also makes a valid point when he says,

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The past 30 years have seen the GOP position on guns essentially come as close to a pure victory on policy as any issue can be won. As a result, we don't even dare suggest that the response to this tragedy include a hard look at gun control, or American political culture's compliance in essentially saying "Well, since we can't stop every kook, why even bother trying"

Screw you, I'll politicize something that is inherently tied to politics. Why shouldn't 12 people dying needlessly lead to change? Because too many Americans have a gun fetish to actually pass laws that might prevent these frickin massacres every few months!?
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »

Sanchez is right.

12 people are DEAD! Have some respect for the dead, and resist any impulse to politicize this travesty like the Left tends to do.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »

RIP to the victims.

This was simply the result of attacks on our Judeo-Christian values.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »

I refuse to see human life sacrificed on an altar to appease the pantheon of the gun gods that rule America.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »

Does anyone know what the motive was here?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »

Does anyone know what the motive was here?

Some men just want to see the world burn.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

I didn't like the part of the story I read where the guy's momma was seemingly so "unsurprised" if you will.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

I didn't like the part of the story I read where the guy's momma was seemingly so "unsurprised" if you will.

That's not an uncommon response.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »

God bless the victim's families and the wounded
Rest in peace to the victims
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »

Bless those whose lives were lost today and their families.

I understand Wiz's position on this, but I don't think that bringing up politics in a thread like this (especially immediately after the incident) is exactly the classiest thing to do...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 01:06:39 AM by Badger »

Phil continues to be one of the worst posters on this forum: nothing you say is substantial or worthwhile.

After your earlier post in this thread, that's a rich statement, kid!

And I'm sorry if my posts don't meet your liking! I should be ashamed!

That post was for fun in an attempt to experiment with wordplay, you novice.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »

Stay classy gun control nuts.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »

That suxx.

Apparently the suspect was a Denver Med School student.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »

One cannot even mention events like these without 'politicizing' them, at least without being absurd.  The political meaning and implications of these events are obvious to anyone, and to pretend that meaning doesn't exist is sheer doublethink.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 01:16:46 PM by Wiz in Wis »

Bless those whose lives were lost today and their families.

I understand Wiz's position on this, but I don't think that bringing up politics in a thread like this (especially immediately after the incident) is exactly the classiest thing to do...

If we only talked about gun policy when there wasn't some sort of gun tragedy no one would care. That's like saying we shouldn't have talked about the levies in New Orleans after Katrina, until sufficient grieving time had passed. No, we should talk about it now.

Besides, this is a political board. Clearly I am upset about the victims' pain and suffering, hence my desire to point out that politics is a way to deal with gun violence, and a good portion of this board and the country at large refuses to talk about it, behaving as if it's a settled issue and these deaths are just part of price of "freedom". If we want to avoid these tragedies in the future, we need to address a lot of underlying issues that aren't being otherwise discussed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Aurora_shooting

The shooter was James Eagan Holmes, 24, a graduate of UC, Riverside and a Ph D candidate at University of Colorado Medical.  Wow.

They say there is a thin line between genius and insanity.  Oh, God, those poor people.  Sad
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

A thread about a massacre and you were just posting something "for fun?" But I'm supposedly the vermin. What a world...

Try not to take yourself too seriously pal, this is the internet and you're not a plastic news anchor or candidate for higher office.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies