14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:58:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening  (Read 17042 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 20, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »

Many people are shot in this country every day. This incident isn't even a drop in the bucket. Yes, it's very weird, random, and senseless, but people are acting like gun violence isn't an everyday fact of life in the United States. And I'm not saying that I have a solution either. Though I think we must consider what we can do as a matter of public policy to change this fact. I just don't understand why people who have no connection to the victims are so shocked. 

Because it was a mass shooting in a public place, with many victims. How often are dozens of people shot in a movie theater-especially by someone they don't know?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »

Many people are shot in this country every day. This incident isn't even a drop in the bucket. Yes, it's very weird, random, and senseless, but people are acting like gun violence isn't an everyday fact of life in the United States. And I'm not saying that I have a solution either. Though I think we must consider what we can do as a matter of public policy to change this fact. I just don't understand why people who have no connection to the victims are so shocked. 

Because it was a mass shooting in a public place, with many victims. How often are dozens of people shot in a movie theater-especially by someone they don't know?

There have been dozens of shootings at movie theaters so much that there have been metal detectors and the like at "urban" venues. This just has a higher body account, was in the suburbs and a white perp. Even discounting that, a venue should not be surprising because there have been mass shootings in church, malls, schools, the workplace, courts etc etc etc.

Ok, so let's look at the reaction again. First, the media always overreacts to these type of events. Second, I haven't observed people being really "shocked" at this. I'm not. Sad, yes, and angry because it's yet another example of the result of America's shameful laws regarding guns. But whatever.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies