14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:15:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 14 killed in mass shooting at Batman screening  (Read 17056 times)
milhouse24
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

When I first watched Heath Ledger in Dark kNight, I thought it was the most violent and psychopathic movie ever.  Nolan tried to make the movie feel real.  In doing so, he made the killing of innocent civilians of Gotham in the movie realistic and plausible by an insane mad man Joker. 

In Dark Knight, the Joker kills innocent people in hospitals, on boats, in buildings, and just about everywhere.  Ledger was a great actor, but the Joker character was just disgustingly warped, like he had no ounce of humanity and was obsessed with killing as many innocent people as possible for no reason, other than to kill people. 

It was just a sickening movie, and I can easily see how a mentally unstable person can watch the film repeatedly and get a feeling that humans are the worthless bodies shown in the movie.  Its just a traumatic movie.  In seeing the previews for the 3rd batman movie, the callous death of football players in the stadium is just sickening.  I just get a really violent vibe from the films, and it glorifies mass murder. 
milhouse24
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »

Not exactly the kind of news I want to hear about as someone who works at a theater.

Isn't it funny comparing Romney to a Murderer in your photo?  

Not.
milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »

When I first watched Heath Ledger in Dark kNight, I thought it was the most violent and psychopathic movie ever.  Nolan tried to make the movie feel real.  In doing so, he made the killing of innocent civilians of Gotham in the movie realistic and plausible by an insane mad man Joker. 

In Dark Knight, the Joker kills innocent people in hospitals, on boats, in buildings, and just about everywhere.  Ledger was a great actor, but the Joker character was just disgustingly warped, like he had no ounce of humanity and was obsessed with killing as many innocent people as possible for no reason, other than to kill people. 

It was just a sickening movie, and I can easily see how a mentally unstable person can watch the film repeatedly and get a feeling that humans are the worthless bodies shown in the movie.  Its just a traumatic movie.  In seeing the previews for the 3rd batman movie, the callous death of football players in the stadium is just sickening.  I just get a really violent vibe from the films, and it glorifies mass murder. 

The villain isn't the one that's glorified, the hero who stops him is. Just because something happens in a movie, a television show, a book, or any other form of media, doesn't mean it's being glorified. Oy.

Well, Heath Ledger got a lot of screen time for setting up elaborate mass murder scenes in such a sadistic and dehumanizing way for no particular reason other than to illustrate was a detached non-human with no care about innocent life.  

In most films, villains commit murder or other violent acts to get money or power, etc.  But in Dark Knight, the Joker enjoyed committing murder for the sake of committing murder and spreading mayhem and death, for no reason other than to create mayhem.  

It was really only at the end that Batman figures a way to stop him.  At least the first movie was about Bruce Wayne's development.  The second movie was about how insane and dark could they make the Joker character.
milhouse24
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »

Did you watch The Dark Knight? Nobody died on the boats or in the hospital. I can think of only a handful of 'innocent' people (non-mob people) who were killed by the Joker: Rachael Dawes, that one guy who dressed as Batman, possibly someone at the bank (though mostly just fellow criminals, and it was a mob bank), the insane guy with the cell phone in his stomach, and a handful of public officials. The Joker was much more about getting other people to kill each other for his amusement and creating general chaos than simply racking up a murder total. By movie standards, he hardly killed anyone.

Okay, just rewatched Dark Knight and Ledger's Joker just struck me as the most depraved mass anarchist on film.  His only goal was not money or power, but mass mayhem and chaos.  His goal was to prove that humans do not care about other human life.  He was just a demented character who wanted as much death as possible.  It just felt like Chris Nolan kept ratching up the insanity level of the criminal acts that the Joker would commit.  Blowing up a hospital and endagering sick people, manipulating everyone to commit murder, forcing the ship passengers to choose between their life or killing others. 

The movie just felt soulless, like the opposite of heartwarming.  Sure it was well made and well produced, but the theme that "anyone can be corrupted to commit murder" just like Two Face/Harvey Dent, just makes audiences lose faith in humanity.  With Ledger getting so much screen time, it showed a powerful charismatic sociopath capable of inducing mass mayhem and hysteria with just a few threats.  Its disturbing.  On some level, Chris Nolan is trying to make a psychological film about evil and the line that Batman crosses between doing good and killing bad guys. 

Ledger deserved to win the Oscar, but his portrayal will live for eternity as steadily chilling.  At least Jack Nicholson's joker was fun and cartoonish.  There's nothing redeeming about Ledger's Joker, he's not human at all, just pure 100% insanity. 
milhouse24
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »

Its odd that the alleged killer has the last name Holmes, which is similar to Katie Holmes who was in the first Batman movie.  I wonder if they are distant relatives.  It probably has nothing to do with his motives, but it is an odd coincidence.  And Katie Holmes was removed from the 2nd Batman movie which upset many fans.  She also recently divorced Tom Cruise and left Scientology so I'm sure some conspiracy theorists will find a way to blame the mass murders on Scientology. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies