Why is McDonnell no longer on the short list? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:42:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why is McDonnell no longer on the short list? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is McDonnell no longer on the short list?  (Read 2556 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: July 20, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »

First rule of VP selection: do no harm.

Regardless of McDonnell's merits, Romney has plenty of other prospective to pick from with comparable benefits, but who won't allow the Democrats to bring the "War on Women" into the Presidential race.
I can imagine the ads: "Bob McDonnell threatened to veto a bill that would have required transvaginal ultrasounds before an abortion.  WAR ON WOMEN!!!!"

Sorry, but you really didn't pay much attention at all during that time did you? The law was tinkered with a little, but the law he signed is almost as bad.

He only threatened a veto, because the national media picked up on this and there was severe blow-back and so he backed down from what was wholehearted support beforehand.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:34:33 AM »

There's other stuff from well before the ultrasound law that would have sunk McDonnell's prospects, most notably his Confederate History Month proclamation, and the stuff in his master's thesis about gays and feminism.  The latter being particularly unhelpful, given the "war on women" meme.

I think his thesis from Pat Robertson's "university" on using public policy to punish "homosexuals, co-habitators and fornicators" probably would have bitten him also. 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »

There's other stuff from well before the ultrasound law that would have sunk McDonnell's prospects, most notably his Confederate History Month proclamation, and the stuff in his master's thesis about gays and feminism.  The latter being particularly unhelpful, given the "war on women" meme.

I think his thesis from Pat Robertson's "university" on using public policy to punish "homosexuals, co-habitators and fornicators" probably would have bitten him also. 

Isn't that what I said?

Indeed, I scanned... apologies.

It only strengthens your point Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies