The problem with British Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:23:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The problem with British Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The problem with British Politics  (Read 632 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2005, 06:17:12 PM »

I've been getting annoyed at the way politics in the U.K is heading for a while... here's a list of things that I think are causing the problem:

1. Labour's majority is too big.

In 1997 and 2001 we won a load of seats that we shouldn't even be close to winning... what this means is that the Government doesn't have to bother with the actual legislative process as much as it should do (a majority of 160 or so tends to result in that...) and as a result we end up with a few pieces of bad legislation and even more pieces with big holes in... and as a result the Government loses track of what it SHOULD be doing and faffs around with a load of nonsense that doesn't do anything at all...
I'm hoping that at the next election we lose at least 20 suburban seats (and we will). After that the problem should more or less go away.

2. There is no credible alternative

Another reason for the failure of the Government to get it's act together about half the time, is the fact that at the moment there is no real threat from the other side: the Tories seem to have deluded themselves into thinking that a hard right swing is going to connect with sane people (hah!), while the LibDems are a collection of disperate groups with nothing in common except that they like yellow.
Because there is no threat (not even half a threat) there is no incentive to get anything done. And this irritates me.

3. Racism and Xenophobia

Which is caused by...

4. THE MEDIA

But at least 2/3rds, probably more than that, of the problem is caused by our disgusting, bland, bigoted, stuck up, elitist, bastard run, pig headed, lying, power crazed f****** media.
Because all three serious political parties are currently terrified by the media, most of the stuff they do is designed to please the pricks in Fleet Street and not people in my street (so to speak).]
The media is dumbing down politics in the U.K and creating a suffocating atmosphere of lies, half truths, spin, distortions, bitching and general nastyness (I agree with the ex-BBC journalist who wrote a book on this subject a few months back).
I could go on and on about how much I HATE the British media... but I won't because it'll make me ill.

So what needs to be done?

1. Labour re-elected with a reduced majority
2. Blair steps down shortly afterwards.
3. Labour elects a leader that don't kowtow to the sh**ts in Fleet Street.
4. Every other journo scumbag is fired. From a cannon.

</rant>
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 06:22:52 PM »

You can hardly blame racism and xenophobia if your country is turning into New Pakistan.  It is only natural for people to dislike it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies