Does anyone else really hate this election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:36:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Does anyone else really hate this election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Does anyone else really hate this election?  (Read 7290 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »

What I particularly dislike is the argument that since the Congressional lawmaking process's byzantine structure and surplus of veto points make it unreasonable to expect more major change to take place within that process, the right thing to do is to enthusiastically support a party and president that devote all their energy to trying to change things within that same process and basically none to changing it.

Yes, exactly this. Great post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/07/17/harry-reid-promises-filibuster-reform-if-dems-win-the-election/
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »

From what I've read about the 2000 campaign, it wasn't really that exciting, despite the outcome being very much in doubt. Of course the same thing can't be said of the actual results and their aftermath.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »

What I particularly dislike is the argument that since the Congressional lawmaking process's byzantine structure and surplus of veto points make it unreasonable to expect more major change to take place within that process, the right thing to do is to enthusiastically support a party and president that devote all their energy to trying to change things within that same process and basically none to changing it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/07/17/harry-reid-promises-filibuster-reform-if-dems-win-the-election/
What will stop the Republicans from filibustering that?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 12:13:41 PM »

Ezra Klein is the ringleader of JournoList.  Why don't you cite some MSM 1%er with more credibility -- like Brian Ross?

As to the substance, this just shows how desperate is Harry Reid.  He never wanted to "reform" the filibuster.  He just helped kill reform of it a couple of years ago.  He's just claiming now that he wants to as part of his begging the voters to keep him as Senate Majority leader:  "It's never happened before -- in fact the current filibuster rules were written almost entirely by us Democrats** -- but really, this time, honest-Injun, Democrats are gonna reform!" 

There are probably a few sub-100 IQs who will believe him.

** See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster_in_the_United_States_Senate
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »

The "reforms" Reid wants will accomplish exactly nothing vis a vis the filibuster. In the end, there will be one filibuster vote on every substantive bill. It is just pre substantive procedural filibusters that he wants to kill off. I have a post about it somewhere.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2012, 12:46:53 PM by A dog on every car, a car in every elevator »

The "reforms" Reid wants will accomplish exactly nothing vis a vis the filibuster. In the end, there will be one filibuster vote on every substantive bill. It is just pre substantive procedural filibusters that he wants to kill off. I have a post about it somewhere.

Best he can do is force the minority to filibuster the old-fashioned way I think.

I think only thing he'd have power to do is a procedural change.  Probably limited in what it'd translate to but Great Pumpkin is wrong to portray Democrats as uninterested in changing senate procedure.  But doing so could also backfire and allow more rapid change to the right like allowing RyanCare to pass if Romney wins and the GOP takes the Senate.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »

Best he can do is force the minority to filibuster the old-fashioned way I think.

I think only thing he'd have power to do is a procedural change.  Probably limited in what it'd translate to but Great Pumpkin is wrong to portray Democrats as uninterested in changing senate procedure.  But doing so could also backfire and allow more rapid change to the right like allowing RyanCare to pass if Romney wins and the GOP takes the Senate.
But I thought procedural changes still had to go to a floor vote.  And even if the procedural vote cannot be used, I could see a Republican in safe state reading War and Peace like a classical filibuster to prevent a change this big.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »

Worst election I've been around for. Second worst was 2008. Ugh. What a crappy election that was.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »

Your question reminds me of something that happened in undergraduate school, in a class called "European Intellectual History".  The professor was a great one (so, naturally, he didn't get tenure), but one day in class -- a class of about 35 students -- he said "Americans are anti-intellectual".  I quickly shot back, "That's because intellectuals are anti-American".  He stopped, stunned, then after standing there thinking about it for a minute, admitted I was right.

The fish I caught the other day was twenty foot long.

So you're calling me a liar?  OK, that's ... deep thinking for you.

It requires no depth from anyone to see through that story... Again, better trolls please.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »

Your question reminds me of something that happened in undergraduate school, in a class called "European Intellectual History".  The professor was a great one (so, naturally, he didn't get tenure), but one day in class -- a class of about 35 students -- he said "Americans are anti-intellectual".  I quickly shot back, "That's because intellectuals are anti-American".  He stopped, stunned, then after standing there thinking about it for a minute, admitted I was right.

The fish I caught the other day was twenty foot long.

So you're calling me a liar?  OK, that's ... deep thinking for you.

It requires no depth from anyone to see through that story... Again, better trolls please.

If true, it would explain why the professor didn't get tenure, since the anecdote demonstrates a ridiculously facile and timid understanding of the universe all around.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »

I've noted that the people most likely to have those "Question Authority" stickers on their bumpers are also the least likely to do it.

They're the kids who sat up in front of the classes and when the professor entered, straightened themselves in their chairs and smiled:

"We're all in our places with bright shining faces!"
"Tell us what we need for the test and we'll forget about the rest!"

To put it mildly, I wasn't among their number.

The same little turds are the ones most likely to disbelieve that anyone else ever did whatever they were too afraid to dare.
Foucaulf
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »

I imagine Whyterain's fellow students all hated him afterwards for sucking up a minute of lecture time.

This whole back-and-forth raises more questions. He's on the same educational level as most politicians, and is very rhetorical (though the IQ disses should take a rest). And I don't get what he means by "Law school-trained rhetoric" if he's gone through the same ordeal as well.

His arrogance is obvious, and beyond his spiel about intelligence a page back passes judgement like no tomorrow. Does Whyterain think he's better just because his arrogance is explicit and not implicit?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »

I've noted that the people most likely to have those "Question Authority" stickers on their bumpers are also the least likely to do it.

They're the kids who sat up in front of the classes and when the professor entered, straightened themselves in their chairs and smiled:

The same little turds are the ones most likely to disbelieve that anyone else ever did whatever they were too afraid to dare.

Boring old right-wing attack memes are boring and old.

No doubt though had those 'little turds' really questioned authority they would have ended up with the exact same opinions as one WhyteRain, arbiter of intellectual discourse everywhere. His wisdom is truly sensational.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »

The Republican primaries (specifically the debates) had to be one of the most entertaining comedy shows in television history. Unfortunately, the general election has not lived up to this, being essentially a remake of 2004 with the names of the characters and parties changed.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »

Academic authority at the university level often concerns itself with questioning other types of authority, bro. It's kind of what it's known for in the current civilization.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »

Perhaps, though I think fabulist is a more fitting word in this context.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »

It's hilarious to see a Republican feign outrage over "elitism."
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 12:11:29 AM by WhyteRain »

I imagine Whyterain's fellow students all hated him afterwards for sucking up a minute of lecture time.

Feel better for saying that?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But then you ask as single one.  Interesting.  Well, I suppose I will then.

And what educational level would you put yourself on?

Why are you confused?  I don't like flowery rhetoric that's used to mislead ordinary people.  

What does this mean?  

Do people who speak humbly but behave arrogantly think they are better than people who do the opposite?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »

Boring old right-wing attack memes are boring and old.

No doubt though had those 'little turds' really questioned authority they would have ended up with the exact same opinions as one WhyteRain, arbiter of intellectual discourse everywhere. His wisdom is truly sensational.

Where have I tried to be an "arbiter of intellectual discourse" for anyone but myself?  (Perhaps sometimes an "arbiter of facts" but as they say, everyone's entitled to his own opinion but no one's entitled to his own facts.)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »

Academic authority at the university level often concerns itself with questioning other types of authority, bro.

Really -- what kinds of questioning is it that academic authority is supposed to do?  (Not being an academician, I really don't know.  Hate to sound arrogant about it.)  And shouldn't outsiders be able to question academic authority?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »

It's hilarious to see a Republican feign outrage over "elitism."

This is a good example of the lack of attentiveness and reasoning abilities that do tend to irritate me.  I can have no good response to this.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »

Barack Obama is a mediocre President blessed with the luxury of a completely inept, unsaleable opponent; this is a formula for ugly, disengaging politics. This election long ago devolved into a TMZ caliber media war and it's better for my mental well being to only follow passively.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies