Why is American politics so heated? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:25:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is American politics so heated? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is American politics so heated?  (Read 5809 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« on: July 22, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

More than 20 years ago, this book predicted American politics would get more heated as the Baby Boomers settled into their years of leadership.  (The BBs, as defined in this book, are now age 51 to 69.)

http://www.amazon.com/Generations-History-Americas-Future-1584/dp/0688119123

WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 10:43:48 AM by WhyteRain »

Try to keep things in perspective.  American politics has always been rough-and-tumble since the inception of the republic and the formation of feuding factions that became political parties -the period from the Great Depression through the beginning of the Reagan era was an exception to the rule.  From the personal attacks between Adams and Jefferson, to the beating of Massachusetts Sen. Charles Sumner by South Carolina Rep. Preston Brooks, there has always been an element of violence and character assassination in our republic.  We are merely returning to the norm.  

Agreed. One unique factor in the period from the 1930's to 80's was the oligarchic control of the primary news media. First it was the four radio networks then the three tv networks. The rise of cable news and the internet returned the news media to the wealth of niche outlets that were common in the press before radio.

I think there are a lot of thoughtful answers here, including this one.

But I want to address the people who think the GOP and Democratic parties "have not flipped" in the last 100 years or so.

You need to explain a couple of things, like why the Democrats' nominee this year is assured of winning practically none of the states that the party's nominee won in 1896:

And why the two closest elections of the 20th century, 1916 and 2000, produced mirror images:

[modify:]  To make it simple, there were only seven states of 48 that voted the same way in 2000 as they had in 1916:  Democratic:  Washington, California, New Mexico, and Maryland; Republican:  South Dakota, Indiana, and West Virginia.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »

The issue is more that 'flipped' misses the point. America was a different country then.

There are always two sides to any political system:  One supports a strong centralized state while the other supports decentralized power with more local control.

In the 19th century, it was the GOP for the centralized control and the Democrats for local government power.  Now it's the opposite.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

The issue is more that 'flipped' misses the point. America was a different country then.

There are always two sides to any political system:  One supports a strong centralized state while the other supports decentralized power with more local control.

In the 19th century, it was the GOP for the centralized control and the Democrats for local government power.  Now it's the opposite.

Again, this is such a laughably simplistic way of looking at politics that it's just...oh nevermind.

If it's really so "laughably simplistic" you should be able to smite it easily.  Is it tough to live up to your ad hominem attacks?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »

the republicans have done nothing for states rights. where are the republicans talking about states rights on marijuana, same sex marriage, euthanasia, etc?

I'll pretend you said "Tea Partyers" instead of "republicans", and I'll agree.  I keep telling my Tea Party friends that we need to support states rights on issues like medical marijuana and same-sex marriage or we'll look like hypocrites.

As a general rule, my side is winning that debate in the TP:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies