Will Democrats gain 25 seats gross in the House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Democrats gain 25 seats gross in the House?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Democrats gain 25 seats gross in the house?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Will Democrats gain 25 seats gross in the House?  (Read 4939 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »
« edited: July 23, 2012, 12:18:50 AM by Nichlemn »

I think most people agree that the Republicans are favourites to hold the House, but that's partially due to them gaining seats from redistricting and the retirement of Blue Dogs. Would the Democrats be favoured if Republicans couldn't pick up seats?

(Consider that this occurred in 1996).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »

No.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

Maybe they net 12-15. Tops.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:31 AM »

This is my prediction. Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »

Smiley

I used to think 25 was possible, but redistricting was a cruel mistress Sad
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »

very unlikely but they should be able to gain some seats (maybe a dozen or half dozen). If it's any consolation, the dems should probably retake control the next time the GOP gets unified control in DC.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:21 AM »

Gross maybe 20 or so, net maybe 15. This is a best-case scenario as I see it right now, absent some sort of weird wave.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 12:54:18 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Smiley

Pretty much. The MD and IL gerrymanders don't come remotely close to making up for the gerrymanders in GA, FL, TX, OH, PA, VA, and MI. And somehow NC ended up with a Republican gerrymander despite a Democratic governor. Meanwhile, blue states like CA, NY, and NJ had independent congressional redistricting.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 01:17:02 AM by greenforest32 »

Smiley

Pretty much. The MD and IL gerrymanders don't come remotely close to making up for the gerrymanders in GA, FL, TX, OH, PA, VA, and MI. And somehow NC ended up with a Republican gerrymander despite a Democratic governor. Meanwhile, blue states like CA, NY, and NJ had independent congressional redistricting.

I agree with these statements. While Ohio might get new maps via an independent redistricting initiative, the redistricting cycle as a whole has locked in many of the 2010 results. I don't think Democrats will net enough seats to take the House in 2012/2014 or even 2016.

They may fare better in the next redistricting cycle (2020) because it will take place after a presidential election as opposed to a midterm so turnout will be higher. Winning the governorships (PA, FL, etc) between 2018 and 2020 will be important if they want to undo existing R-gerrymanders/avoid new ones.

Democrats winning the Texas governorship in 2018 would really be interesting. They could probably net at least 6 seats in Texas with a neutralish map and new seats (another 4?) from the state's population gain between now and 2020.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »

Smiley

And somehow NC ended up with a Republican gerrymander despite a Democratic governor.

Redistricting in NC is purely a legislative process, the Governor has no role in it.

Back in the 1990's, the Democratic legislature didn't want to give Gov. Jim Martin (R) veto power because they were afraid he'd veto their maps. This time, it worked the Republicans' favor...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »

Smiley

And somehow NC ended up with a Republican gerrymander despite a Democratic governor.

Redistricting in NC is purely a legislative process, the Governor has no role in it.

Back in the 1990's, the Democratic legislature didn't want to give Gov. Jim Martin (R) veto power because they were afraid he'd veto their maps. This time, it worked the Republicans' favor...

Back then the prospect of the GOP taking the legislature was as remote a possibility as anything could be. But a GOP Governor was a real possibility since they had Martin at the time.

Though even if there was a veto, I am pretty sure that an override would have been possible as only one defection would have been necessary. What do you think about that Miles?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »

I had been warning Democrats since the day Obama was elected how seriously they needed to take the 2010 midterms due to the fact that it was a redistricting election.  They stupidly ignored me and now they will likely be locked out of the House and most state legislatures for a generation. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »

No. Somewhere between 8 and 12 seats - possibly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 10:12:56 AM by Torie »

The have about a 5% chance of doing so. Much more likely is a zero to 5 seat gain. That to me is about the top of the bell curve of possible outcomes at the moment. A 25 seat gain is about two standard deviations out. And the bell curve is not normally shaped. It drops from its top more steeply than normal. Gerrymanders here, there and everywhere, tend to not be friendly to normalcy when it comes to bell curve shapes. Who knew?  Smiley
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »

Smiley

I agree with these statements. While Ohio might get new maps via an independent redistricting initiative, the redistricting cycle as a whole has locked in many of the 2010 results. I don't think Democrats will net enough seats to take the House in 2012/2014 or even 2016.

They may fare better in the next redistricting cycle (2020) because it will take place after a presidential election as opposed to a midterm so turnout will be higher. Winning the governorships (PA, FL, etc) between 2018 and 2020 will be important if they want to undo existing R-gerrymanders/avoid new ones.

Democrats winning the Texas governorship in 2018 would really be interesting. They could probably net at least 6 seats in Texas with a neutralish map and new seats (another 4?) from the state's population gain between now and 2020.

Democrats need to start planning now to make 2018 a big Dem year.  They need to win governorships in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, and Texas in order to block and break apart current GOP gerrymanders. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Smiley

Back then the prospect of the GOP taking the legislature was as remote a possibility as anything could be. But a GOP Governor was a real possibility since they had Martin at the time.

Though even if there was a veto, I am pretty sure that an override would have been possible as only one defection would have been necessary. What do you think about that Miles?

Thats a good question. The R's would already have the votes in the Senate to override a veto, but they'd actually need to peel-off 4 Democrats in the House (to get 72/120). Some of the more conservative Democrats are from the southeastern region, IIRC, so I don't think they'd vote for a plan that hurt McIntyre. Still, given the Democrats' general lack of unity during the budget dealings, an override wouldn't seem impossible.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »

Have we worked out the amount if safe, lean, and toss-up Congressional seats?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »

Fuzzy and I made a map like that a few months ago, but I'll probably update it soon.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »

Fuzzy and I made a map like that a few months ago, but I'll probably update it soon.

I'd love to help. Would be great to have a good guess as to what the House will look like before election day. Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »

I'd love to help. Would be great to have a good guess as to what the House will look like before election day. Smiley

Sure, any help would be appreciated.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »

Is Nate Silver going to make 2012 projections for the House races?

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/do-democrats-have-a-shot-at-the-house/
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »

I had been warning Democrats since the day Obama was elected how seriously they needed to take the 2010 midterms due to the fact that it was a redistricting election.  They stupidly ignored me and now they will likely be locked out of the House and most state legislatures for a generation. 

Haha. Oh man you're so important.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »

I think he will around August/September.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »

Redistricting and the stalled economic recovery changed things for the Dems in the later part of the yr.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »

With a narrow Obama Win the Democrats will probaly pick up a net less than 10 seats.
With a narrow Romney win the Democrats might even lose a net few seats
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies