What do you call your own ideology? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do you call your own ideology? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you call your own ideology?  (Read 16150 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:07 PM »

Interventionist libertarianism
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »

Not really. Leftist social policies, right-wing economic policies, and an interventionist foreign policy. In America, when the first two are combined, we call that 'libertarian'. However, this usually comes with isolationism, so it's necessary to point out I am specifically an interventionist libertarian.

Unless you have a better idea?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »

Not really. Leftist social policies, right-wing economic policies, and an interventionist foreign policy. In America, when the first two are combined, we call that 'libertarian'. However, this usually comes with isolationism, so it's necessary to point out I am specifically an interventionist libertarian.

But one of the main views of Libertarianism, if not the cornerstone, is that no man can launch force against another man without having been attacked by the other man first. Interventionism is not possible in Libertarianism. You can be a social libertarian, but not a full blown libertarian.

Somehow that's never struck me as a cornerstone of libertarianism, but if so, what would you call my set of ideological beliefs? I'm loath to just say conservative because I support abortion and gay integration and marijuana legalization and secularism in general, which are pretty much antithetical to modern American conservatism. (Otherwise, on foreign policy and economics, and some minor social issues like gun rights and the death penalty, I'm pretty much  a standard American rightist.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »

Vosem, maybe liberal internationalist - using "liberal" in a worldly sense - would be applicable to you?

The thing is that in America liberal implies economic leftism, so I don't think that can work either.

As for the reason for my interventionism, it consists mostly of national interest, yes. I supported the invasion of Iraq, for instance.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »

See, I've never seen isolationism as a key component of libertarianism. My personal readings have always shown the two key planks of libertarianism are 'smaller government' and 'let people do whatever they want, for the most part'. Foreign affairs aren't really a key part of the ideology, although most libertarians are isolationist. Ergo = interventionist libertarian.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:49:11 PM »

A much better term for you would "postmodern conservative" or "nihilist conservative".

I'm not a nihilist. I like the first term, but I feel like it would sound really stupid in actual conversation, as opposed to writing.

See, I've never seen isolationism as a key component of libertarianism. My personal readings have always shown the two key planks of libertarianism are 'smaller government' and 'let people do whatever they want, for the most part'. Foreign affairs aren't really a key part of the ideology, although most libertarians are isolationist. Ergo = interventionist libertarian.
But Libertarianism teaches that no man can force his will upon another through the use of force. Libertarianism does not support isolationism, per say, but it certainly does not support actions like the Iraq War.

I've always interpreted libertarianism as meaning no government can use force its will on its own citizens using force, not 'no man on another man'.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »

OK, guys, I think I've figured out a name for my ideology. What about: neoliberalism?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »

As I said, I only support aspects of the ideology. I don't think anyone has ever fully supported every aspect of an ideology.
calling yourself libertarian is like calling yourself communist, there's not really much room for leeway. actually even less.

History says there's rather a lot of room for leeway in both ideologies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies