What do you call your own ideology? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:33:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do you call your own ideology? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you call your own ideology?  (Read 16140 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »

This is an oxymoron.

Modern Constitutionalism.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »

Not really. Leftist social policies, right-wing economic policies, and an interventionist foreign policy. In America, when the first two are combined, we call that 'libertarian'. However, this usually comes with isolationism, so it's necessary to point out I am specifically an interventionist libertarian.

Unless you have a better idea?

Libertarianism was an ideology founded on the principles of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism, yes, but a core component of libertarianism is non-interventionism, or isolationism. You cannot be a libertarian without support a non-interventionist foreign policy. That's like saying "i'm a pacifist, but i'll still fight someone if need be." No, that makes you a militarist. You cannot be a militarist libertarian, it's a contradiction of the ideology.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »

Not really. Leftist social policies, right-wing economic policies, and an interventionist foreign policy. In America, when the first two are combined, we call that 'libertarian'. However, this usually comes with isolationism, so it's necessary to point out I am specifically an interventionist libertarian.

Unless you have a better idea?

Libertarianism was an ideology founded on the principles of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism, yes, but a core component of libertarianism is non-interventionism, or isolationism. You cannot be a libertarian without support a non-interventionist foreign policy. That's like saying "i'm a pacifist, but i'll still fight someone if need be." No, that makes you a militarist. You cannot be a militarist libertarian, it's a contradiction of the ideology.

The mistake you made is giving shit about the subtleties of this crap. If we're gonna be absolutist, the only true "conservative" is a caveman. So let's stop this and examine what he meant by that: a relatively hands-off domestic policy coupled with a belief in a strong and potentially active (if he views it as necessary) national defense. There we go.

It's different than being a Republican and being a dove or being a Democrat and being a hawk.  I think it was Ghost_white that really pounded it into my head that Libertarianism is an isolationist or non-interventionist ideology. No true Libertarian supports militarism because that defies the principle of liberty for all (regardless of where they live or whom they are) as well as the idea of America being a peace-keeping nation. I've really come to peace with Libertarianism after I went on that whole long rant about it being a totally shit ideology and all that. The one thing I've accepted, above all, about Libertarianism is that it is an ideology centered around non-interventionist foreign policy. That principle cannot be compromised, negotiated or changed. You can be a conservative and support non-interventionism, you can be a liberal and support militarism, but you absolutely cannot be a true Libertarian without supporting non-interventionism. It's a principle that is proverbially glued to the ideology.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »

I don't know, Napoleon, some of my views on policy now would likely piss liberals off too. 

Moderate Hero! Cheesy
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »

I guess.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »

"True libertarianism" strikes me more as a religion or life philosophy than a political ideology because it allows for basically no pragmatism to deal with whatever situation may arise. That's why libertarians will often argue to no end about how other other one isn't really a libertarian.

The reason I no longer identify as a Libertarian is because Libertarians argue each other to death over what a Libertarian actually is.

^^^ Yes, this.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »

Can I change my answer?

My ideology is called 'being right'
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: