Obama doesn't 'get' the UK because he's not white - Romney adviser (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:31:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama doesn't 'get' the UK because he's not white - Romney adviser (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama doesn't 'get' the UK because he's not white - Romney adviser  (Read 10911 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: July 25, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »

The topic title is false. The article -- the first paragraph so I don't really see how it could be missed -- specifically assigns Obama's anti-British attitudes to his "Left-wing" perspective.

Anti-British because he's left wing? HA! There are plenty of Tories who are more left wing than Obama is!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

I'd like to see the context of the remark, but here it is as quoted:

“We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special,” the adviser said of Mr Romney, adding: “The White House didn’t fully appreciate the shared history we have”.

Obviously the U.S. is "part of the Anglo-Saxon heritage".  What could possibly be even mildly[/b] controversial about that part of the statement?

And the guy didn't say "Obama doesn't appreciate" it; he said "The White House" doesn't.  It's clearly a hit at the whole Obama administration -- which is nearly lily-white -- not just Obama.

This is reminding me of that poor Greek girl who was just kicked out of the Olympics for "racism" because she re-tweeted a joke about how, with all the Africans in town -- remember, Africans are of all races! -- that the mosquitoes in Athens carrying "West Nile virus" (the Nile is a river in Africa) would have some "home-tasting meals".

I just went to go find it because I know the haters here will try to distort it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If that was supposed to be a joke, it wasn't funny. And I should know. In fact I only just recently opened for Jim Gaffigan. But hey, if you know comedy more than I do, please explain to me how that was a joke. I'd like to know.

I could think it being controversial to a good many Normans and Celts who aren't of Anglo-Saxon background. I'm not of Saxon stock, but I do have Norman and Celtic sides in my family. In fact, the Normans displaced the Saxons on the throne well before America was even "discovered". If anything it just points to the fact that someone doesn't know their history.

As for the "special relationship", Its had high and low points depending on how well the President and PM get along. You might be interested to know that the relationship wasn't all that special as recently as the mid-90s because Bill Clinton and John Major hated each other's guts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies