Political Family
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Political Family
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Family  (Read 1158 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »

Are you part of a "political family." 

Political Graveyard has an interesting family grouping of politicians that are distantly related to each other:  http://politicalgraveyard.com/families/index.html

I'm actually considered to be part of one of these families. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2012, 06:59:36 AM by Guy McCharming »

LOL

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rooney
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »

I have recently accepted a new teaching job in Burlington, Iowa. The new house I am living in was built by Henry Dodge, the patriarch of the Dodge political family. Henry Dodge is celebrated as the "conqueror of Chief Blackhawk" due to his victory over the starving British Band of Sauk Indians at the Battle of Bad Axe in 1832. He had a strange career which involved serving as a delegate to the Missouri Constitutional Convention in 1820, sitting in the Michigan territorial legislature, serving as the governor of Wisconsin Territory (of which Burlington was the capital for many years) as well as territoral delegate to the U.S. Congress and one of the first U.S. Senators from Wisconsin in 1848.

Dodge is buried in Aspen Grove Cemetery which is where I go running now that I am in Burlington. He and his son-in-law James Clarke, who served as Mayor of Burlington and Governor of Iowa Territory, have a joint monument which outlines their achievements.  Below is a picture:

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »

That sounds like a pretty awesome career, jumping all around the Mid-West, from Missouri to Michigan to Wisconsin and also being from Iowa.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

My adoptive family is not tied into any of those listed. I cannot be sure about my biological family on account of not knowing its surname.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »

No, although I believe I had a great uncle who was mayor of Onaway, Michigan.  My mother worked for the Dukakis campaign in 1988 and when she was paralyzed in a serious car accident during the campaign, Gov. Dukakis visited her in the hospital.  I also have an aunt who worked on some political campaigns and was student body president at the college she went to, so she worked with quite a few politicians in her time.  In fact, she was the first one to serve multiple terms.  There's a chance that I'm distatntly related to Mike Pence, too.  Most of the people in my family were never particularly interested in politics, though, and they aren't generally politically engaged.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies