SC: Questions raised about possible Haley nepotism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:24:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SC: Questions raised about possible Haley nepotism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC: Questions raised about possible Haley nepotism  (Read 1238 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »

(The State - link)
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The gift shop is located on the same floor as Haley's office, only a few steps away in fact, so I suspect the daughter simply was able to find out about an opening when it became available.

Still, its so unnecessarily awkward politically, that you have to wonder what Nikki was thinking in letting the daughter work there during the summer.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2012, 11:07:26 PM by Joe Republic »

IMPEACH HER!!!!!

Yeah, no, this is a boring non-story.  Besides, Sanford set the bar for recent SC scandals, so Haley's going to have to try a lot harder than this.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »

Lol?

Does Dick not realize that its very frequent for 14 year olds to gain summer employment through personal connections?

I'm sure nepotism got the Haley's that $8 an hour.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

Does Dick not realize that its very frequent for 14 year olds to gain summer employment through personal connections?

This was my first thought. In fact, I think "very frequent" is an understatement.

SC politics seems more nasty and frivolous than that of most states.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »

Off with her head!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »

Even if she did get her daughter a job- Who gives a rip?!!!!!!
Politics must stop being so damn petty!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »

I'm no fan of Governor Haley politically or personally, but this is a nonstory and it's awful that she has to deal with crap like this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »

I'm no fan of Governor Haley politically or personally, but this is a nonstory and it's awful that she has to deal with crap like this.

True, but under the circumstances, this was going to look bad practically no matter who was the governor.  About the only way it could possibly be good would be if instead of 14, the daughter was 4 and operating a lemonade stand inside the State House just  outside her parent's door, and even then some would find fault with it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »

I actually burst out laughing when I read this. And I'm a person who's not a Nikki Haley fan.

If this is what South Carolina politics is like normally, it's a joke.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »

The responses here from Democrats give me hope, but I still expect this to get more MSM play than did the arrest of Howard Dean's teenaged son for burglary in 2003 when Dean was a (the?) leading candidate for the 2004 Democratic nomination.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:22:19 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 04:25:04 AM by Talleyrand »

The responses here from Democrats give me hope, but I still expect this to get more MSM play than did the arrest of Howard Dean's teenaged son for burglary in 2003 when Dean was a (the?) leading candidate for the 2004 Democratic nomination.

Obviously, it will. The media these days is a lot more based on the 24/7 news cycle, so yes. If Dean's son had been arrested this year, it would be all over the news. Comparing this to something that happened in 2003 makes your accusation quite ridiculous.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »

Obviously, it will. The media these days is a lot more based on the 24/7 news cycle, so yes. If Dean's son had been arrested this year, it would be all over the news. Comparing this to something that happened in 2003 makes your accusation quite ridiculous.

The "24/7 news cycle" began in 1979 with the Iranian hostage crisis.  Nothing's happened in the last 9 years to it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »

The "24/7 news cycle" began in 1979 with the Iranian hostage crisis.  Nothing's happened in the last 9 years to it.

No, there has. With the more openly partisan press and vast improvements in the internet, it's become a lot worse. Are you seriously suggesting this would have been a story in 1979?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »

No, there has. With the more openly partisan press and vast improvements in the internet, it's become a lot worse. Are you seriously suggesting this would have been a story in 1979?

In terms of communications, 2003 was a different world. There was no Twitter in 2003. The first blackberry was released in 2003, and almost nobody had touchscreen smartphones except for hardcore tech geeks, and even then most of the ones available were very expensive, and offered only small hard drives and what would today be considered very crude graphics.  Social media was just starting to get off the ground, and Facebook had only a few thousand users at Harvard, Stanford, and a few other schools. Youtube didn't exist yet, nor did any of the dozens similar websites. Google's news aggregator was still early in its beta test, and newspapers and magazines were only just beginning to appreciate the importance of having an online edition.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies