Can Romney Get Aything Done
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:39:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Romney Get Aything Done
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can Romney Get Aything Done  (Read 3657 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

Lets say the Rominee wins in November. The GOP isn't gonna have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, and the Tea Party is gonna be pushing Romney, so Dems aren't gonna vote for Romney's bills. If Romney does win, what exactly is he ACTUALLY gonna be able to do with a democrats in congress against everything he tries and Tea Partiers pushing him to the right. What exactly does a Romney Term look like, and no BS about how him just being President will encourage businesses to hire.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

I wonder if he's even going to be able to finish his term. Look what happened in Iceland.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »

Don't worry, Democrats will cave again and again.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »

I wonder if he's even going to be able to finish his term. Look what happened in Iceland.

A minority government lost a vote of no confidence and then lost power? While remaining the Official Opposition? That's quite normal, but it can't happen in the US because we have set elections. The only way Romney won't finish his term is if he dies, but in that case he'll certainly be succeeded by a Republican. (Your belief in the Occupy Revolution is becoming more laughable by the day, if becoming more laughable was at all possible).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »

Romney seems to know what it will take to at least mitigate the effects of Obamacare. I still don't see a permanent repeal right away, but if the conditions are right after 2014 or a possible second term, it could happen.

Short term? I believe he'll be able to streamline the bureaucracy and cut back the size of government departments. There are a lot of agencies that are doing the same jobs that could operate in closer unison, I think.

Also, the Keystone Pipeline is a big deal for me as a Canadian. And it's also in America's interest too. That's something Romney could get built. It doesn't create this immense number of jobs, but it will be a symbolic step in the right direction.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »

Reconciliation!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »

Repeal the Healthcare Law.

Reduce government spending. He promised to reduce overall public sector spending from the current level of 37% of GDP to 32% of GDP. To achieve that, he would have to abolish many unnecessary rules and regulations, terminate many federal programs and lay off many public sector employees.

Start real economic recovery.

Cut taxes and parafiscal burdens.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious.

...terminate many federal programs and lay off many public sector employees.

Start real economic recovery.

You're a funny guy, Liffy Jube.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious

I don't think they'll abolish the filibuster. If they gain the majority in 2012, there's a good chance the Democrats take it back in 2014, because the GOP's majority would be of about one seat or so, and the fear that Hillary Clitnon would defeat Romney in 2016.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »

lay off many public sector employees.

As the Wall Street Journal pointed out earlier this week, you could fire every single government employee, both civilian and military, and we'd still be running a deficit.  Payroll is only a small part of the budget.

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious.

I'd like to hope they would, but I doubt it.  There are enough people in both parties who think it is their party's political self-interest to preserve the filibuster.  The Republicans will need at least 55 Senators to get rid of the filibuster.

The way things are shaping up, I doubt that whoever wins in November will be having a happy 2013.  Between Europe and the drought, I think we'll be headed back into recession, if we don't get there sooner.  Then there is the headache of Iran, not to mention some other crisis that is likely to pile on.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:08:31 AM »

As the Wall Street Journal pointed out earlier this week, you could fire every single government employee, both civilian and military, and we'd still be running a deficit.  Payroll is only a small part of the budget.

I'd like to hope they would, but I doubt it.  There are enough people in both parties who think it is their party's political self-interest to preserve the filibuster.  The Republicans will need at least 55 Senators to get rid of the filibuster.

The way things are shaping up, I doubt that whoever wins in November will be having a happy 2013.  Between Europe and the drought, I think we'll be headed back into recession, if we don't get there sooner.  Then there is the headache of Iran, not to mention some other crisis that is likely to pile on.

...and also note the fact that the states who have adopted the highest public sector job cuts, have been the ones to see the lowest private sector job growth as well as overall economic improvement.

If the public sector jobs that have been cut were to be restored, the unemployment rate would be somewhere around 7.5%... plus despite what the right says, public sector jobs are real jobs. If you consider that jobs = disposable income = economic activity - trying to find opportunities to lay more people off at a time of economic sluggishness seems utterly stupid to me. PLUS, despite what people say, most are very fond of the services provided by the government, so you get less people, trying to deliver the same services at the same levels, now that seems incredibly inefficient.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:02 AM »

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious

I don't think they'll abolish the filibuster. If they gain the majority in 2012, there's a good chance the Democrats take it back in 2014, because the GOP's majority would be of about one seat or so, and the fear that Hillary Clitnon would defeat Romney in 2016.

I hope they do abolish the filibuster -- or at least reform it to end the de facto rule that 60 Senators are needed to pass most legislation.  It will be a popular reform (or abolition) across the political spectrum.  We are left to wonder why the Democrats didn't abolish or reform it when they had the power in 2009-10.

I doubt the Dems can retake the Senate in 2014, though I agree with you that "the GOP's majority would be of about one seat or so".  From what I can tell, in 2014 the Dems have to defend 20 seats -- including five in the South and two in solidly red states (MT and SD) -- and the Republicans only 13.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 07:56:07 AM »

As the Wall Street Journal pointed out earlier this week, you could fire every single government employee, both civilian and military, and we'd still be running a deficit.  Payroll is only a small part of the budget.

I'd like to hope they would, but I doubt it.  There are enough people in both parties who think it is their party's political self-interest to preserve the filibuster.  The Republicans will need at least 55 Senators to get rid of the filibuster.

The way things are shaping up, I doubt that whoever wins in November will be having a happy 2013.  Between Europe and the drought, I think we'll be headed back into recession, if we don't get there sooner.  Then there is the headache of Iran, not to mention some other crisis that is likely to pile on.

...and also note the fact that the states who have adopted the highest public sector job cuts, have been the ones to see the lowest private sector job growth as well as overall economic improvement.

If the public sector jobs that have been cut were to be restored, the unemployment rate would be somewhere around 7.5%... plus despite what the right says, public sector jobs are real jobs. If you consider that jobs = disposable income = economic activity - trying to find opportunities to lay more people off at a time of economic sluggishness seems utterly stupid to me. PLUS, despite what people say, most are very fond of the services provided by the government, so you get less people, trying to deliver the same services at the same levels, now that seems incredibly inefficient.

Public sector employees providing services and working efficiently won't lose their jobs. It's those public sector employees that create their work by imposing rules and regulations and charging fees for enforcing them that are superfluous.

Look, if you don’t like the temporary rise in unemployment that’s going to happen, it’s better to just tell those bureaucrats to stay home and keep receiving their paychecks doing nothing. Remember the Parkinson’s law:

Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Anybody who has ever worked in government or any other type of public service knows that these are the truths:

(1) "An official wants to multiply subordinates, not rivals."
(2) "Officials make work for each other."

Given unlimited funds, everybody would become part of the government.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:01:04 AM »

I have worked in the public service... and they are old stereotypes.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »

Never trust anyone who thinks "government" is a three-sylable word.  :-)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:35 AM »

Why? Because they have a better grasp of English pronunciation than you do?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

Are you talking about the same people who treat "Worcestershire" as a three-sylable word?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »

Are you talking about the same people who treat "Worcestershire" as a three-sylable word?
Worcestershire is a place name, and the pronunciation is thus determined by the locals.
Duh.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »

How many syllables does it have?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »

You must pronounce it "gov'ment" right?

And so people who pronounce it "gov-ern-ment" are pronouncing the root word "govern" which I guess classes with your ideology?  Is that what is going on here?
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Yeah, but isn't the individual mandate what conservatives don't like, even though it was your idea. The mandate will still be there, even if you kill funding. But you guys are still gonna deny people health coverage just to peruse some right wing ideological talking point?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »

Just being President will encourage businesses to hire.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies