Can Romney Get Aything Done
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:40:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Romney Get Aything Done
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Can Romney Get Aything Done  (Read 3658 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Yeah, but isn't the individual mandate what conservatives don't like, even though it was your idea. The mandate will still be there, even if you kill funding. But you guys are still gonna deny people health coverage just to peruse some right wing ideological talking point?

Universal health care is the liberal dubious ideological goal. It is certainly not a prerequisite to a growing economy.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Yeah, but isn't the individual mandate what conservatives don't like, even though it was your idea. The mandate will still be there, even if you kill funding. But you guys are still gonna deny people health coverage just to peruse some right wing ideological talking point?

Universal health care is the liberal dubious ideological goal. It is certainly not a prerequisite to a growing economy.
But it is a prerequisite to a balanced budget, Medicare for all would cut billions out of our deficit.
America has the MOST exepnsive and LEAST effective Health Care System of any modernized country in the world. universal Health Care is an importan American Goal. Richard Nixon tried it. So did Mitt Romney. And don't forget, Republicans tried to pass their own Health Bill in 1993, ObamaCare was that bill. Majority Leader Bill Frist likes the bill too.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

Never trust anyone who thinks "government" is a three-sylable word.  :-)
You must pronounce it "gov'ment" right?

And so people who pronounce it "gov-ern-ment" are pronouncing the root word "govern" which I guess classes with your ideology?  Is that what is going on here?

Did you notice the little smiley-face at the end of my comment?  I meant it as a joke.  A lot of my political favorites pronounce it as gov-ern-ment.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »

You liberals will still be permitted to donate generously to organizations that will provide low- or no-cost health care services.  You just won't be able to take as much OPM as you want.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »

But it is a prerequisite to a balanced budget, Medicare for all would cut billions out of our deficit.
America has the MOST exepnsive and LEAST effective Health Care System of any modernized country in the world. universal Health Care is an importan American Goal. Richard Nixon tried it. So did Mitt Romney. And don't forget, Republicans tried to pass their own Health Bill in 1993, ObamaCare was that bill. Majority Leader Bill Frist likes the bill too.

That's not true either. America balanced a budget for decades prior to Medicare. 

In any case, the Medicaid program is currently wrecking havoc on state budgets, which can't borrow $1 trillion a year. Hence, of course, liberal states like California heavily slashing their Medicaid programs.

You can read about it here, or not. Up to you.

http://www.statebudgetcrisis.org/wpcms/wp-content/images/Report-of-the-State-Budget-Crisis-Task-Force-Full.pdf
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

You liberals will still be permitted to donate generously to organizations that will provide low- or no-cost health care services.  You just won't be able to take as much OPM as you want.

Of course, the difference between Nixon in 1972, Chafee in 1993, and Romney in 2002, and Romney in 2013 is that the first 3 were governing growing economies with growing tax revenues and could better afford such luxuries. That was the case in the past, and no longer is. Given that, it is quite bizarre to add $800 billion in spending to the tab.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

Oh no, I agree with you. My Democratic colleagues are not doing their jobs. We need major reforms to the social safety net so we can get our fiscal house in order. They haven't even passed a budget in 4 freakin years, man. That's why I have such great respect for Paul Ryan. At least he has a plan, no matter how vague and devastating it is. Don't scream "He's cutting Medicare!" if you don't even have a plan to save it.
Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner, and Cantor need to get off there butts and pass Simpson-Bowles.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »

Just being President will encourage businesses to hire.

That uninspirational leader?
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 12:14:49 AM »

Lets say the Rominee wins in November. The GOP isn't gonna have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, and the Tea Party is gonna be pushing Romney, so Dems aren't gonna vote for Romney's bills. If Romney does win, what exactly is he ACTUALLY gonna be able to do with a democrats in congress against everything he tries and Tea Partiers pushing him to the right. What exactly does a Romney Term look like, and no BS about how him just being President will encourage businesses to hire.

A filibuster majority isn't likely but not out of the question. I don't think the tea party will ever have the effectiveness in Washington D.C. that is has in red states and red districts. Democrats didn't vote for Bush's bills with the exception of No Child Left Behind and the Medicare Reform Act. Now Bush didn't get alot of his agenda done but he still got some of it passed. Him being president will encourage businesses to hire but unless we do something about the corporate tax and minimum wage, we'll never see jobs return from overseas. It's just not as profitable to keep a business here anymore. In fact, the only reason we saw a slightly promising economy running up to the 2010 midterm election is because people figured that the Republicans were going to take over at least one if not both houses. Anyone who has been successful and held a private sector job without a union knows that Obama is everything that will destroy our economy. It won't turn around overnight or become perfect without some changes being made so please don't say that I'm suggesting everything will be fine once Obama is out. Also if we're ever going to get our nation off the ground again we need to stop blabbering about higher education at the political level so that voters support politicians and we need to start encouraging vocational schools for trades. There's workers who make 16-20 an hour with their skills who never went to college and then you have people with Ph.D's in philosophy who can't hold a job at McDonald's. But, oh higher education we have to have that because it's not cool in America unless you go to college and have a white collar job........... That last part was my sarcasm. Sorry if I went overboard and feel free to break down disagreements or ask questions.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 02:23:40 AM »

Lets say the Rominee wins in November. The GOP isn't gonna have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, and the Tea Party is gonna be pushing Romney, so Dems aren't gonna vote for Romney's bills. If Romney does win, what exactly is he ACTUALLY gonna be able to do with a democrats in congress against everything he tries and Tea Partiers pushing him to the right. What exactly does a Romney Term look like, and no BS about how him just being President will encourage businesses to hire.

A filibuster majority isn't likely but not out of the question. I don't think the tea party will ever have the effectiveness in Washington D.C. that is has in red states and red districts. Democrats didn't vote for Bush's bills with the exception of No Child Left Behind and the Medicare Reform Act. Now Bush didn't get alot of his agenda done but he still got some of it passed. Him being president will encourage businesses to hire but unless we do something about the corporate tax and minimum wage, we'll never see jobs return from overseas. It's just not as profitable to keep a business here anymore. In fact, the only reason we saw a slightly promising economy running up to the 2010 midterm election is because people figured that the Republicans were going to take over at least one if not both houses. Anyone who has been successful and held a private sector job without a union knows that Obama is everything that will destroy our economy. It won't turn around overnight or become perfect without some changes being made so please don't say that I'm suggesting everything will be fine once Obama is out. Also if we're ever going to get our nation off the ground again we need to stop blabbering about higher education at the political level so that voters support politicians and we need to start encouraging vocational schools for trades. There's workers who make 16-20 an hour with their skills who never went to college and then you have people with Ph.D's in philosophy who can't hold a job at McDonald's. But, oh higher education we have to have that because it's not cool in America unless you go to college and have a white collar job........... That last part was my sarcasm. Sorry if I went overboard and feel free to break down disagreements or ask questions.

Please explain how "Obama is everything that will destroy the economy". It's almost as if he has supernatural powers....
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »

Actually, one of the major expenses of Medicaid is paying the nursing home expenses of the indigent elderly.  Medicare has absolutely no provision for long term care.

As for defunding Obamacare, yeah, the GOP can do that without getting rid of the filibuster, but they can't eliminate the must carry provisions that would fall upon insurers and which without some incentive to cause people to get insurance would end up destroying the private health insurance market if not taken care of.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

That's not true either. America balanced a budget for decades prior to Medicare. 

In any case, the Medicaid program is currently wrecking havoc on state budgets, which can't borrow $1 trillion a year. Hence, of course, liberal states like California heavily slashing their Medicaid programs.

You can read about it here, or not. Up to you.

http://www.statebudgetcrisis.org/wpcms/wp-content/images/Report-of-the-State-Budget-Crisis-Task-Force-Full.pdf

If you ask Google you can find some data in a few seconds. For example:

Total Health Expenditure per Capita, U.S. and Selected Countries, 2008

Total Health Expenditure Per Capita, U.S. and Selected Countries, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2008

Source: OECD

Compare the last graphic with the budget balances for the period 1970-2008. Thank you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »

Sure, the right-wing never has any problem implementing their agenda.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

Please explain how "Obama is everything that will destroy the economy". It's almost as if he has supernatural powers....

I've already explained it above. Obama stands for higher taxes than the Republicans do which takes money out of the private sector which goes to Washington D.C. and is then redistributed to people who don't work. Now if tax payers could keep more of their own money they could hire those who are unemployed. Let's say the tax payers spend it on something else for themselves. No problem there because where they spend the money will create jobs. My point being that at some point down the line having more money in the private sector will create jobs. All Obama does for the economy is scare companies into going overseas by supporting higher wages and taxes while at the same time complaining about everyone who has done well on their own.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »

In the unlikely event that Romney wins the 2012 election, I will have my popcorn ready for the debt ceiling fight in 2013. Prepare to watch the GOP rip its self apart, Romney is not the type of man that can unite the paranoid lunatics with the beholden, it should be a debacle of enormous proportions.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »

In the unlikely event that Romney wins the 2012 election, I will have my popcorn ready for the debt ceiling fight in 2013. Prepare to watch the GOP rip its self apart, Romney is not the type of man that can unite the paranoid lunatics with the beholden, it should be a debacle of enormous proportions.

That's one bad ass name but why so grim?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »

I enjoy the R-PA avatar. Cheesy
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

what about it? lol thanks
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

Thank you, I'm a dinophile. Tongue

I'm grim because I'm a realist. Romney has failed to unite the warring factions of the GOP behind his candidacy to replace a President they loathe; why should I believe that he can get the party to work together on something as difficult and politically challenging as spending? The next 4 years are stacked against whoever wins this election; the dark parts of my political conscience would rather it be the Democrats problem.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »

I'm grim because I'm a realist. Romney has failed to unite the warring factions of the GOP behind his candidacy to replace a President they loathe; why should I believe that he can get the party to work together on something as difficult and politically challenging as spending? The next 4 years are stacked against whoever wins this election; the dark parts of my political conscience would rather it be the Democrats problem.

I don't think our party needs to be united to vote though. We turned out for McCain. It's all about selling himself to independents and how things go for Obama in the next few months. With two conventions, 3 debates, and Labor Day coming alot can happen.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 11:48:31 AM by stegosaurus »

I don't think our party needs to be united to vote though. We turned out for McCain. It's all about selling himself to independents and how things go for Obama in the next few months. With two conventions, 3 debates, and Labor Day coming alot can happen.

I'm not saying Romney can't win the election (though if I were a betting man my money would be on Obama), he can. More importantly though, I don't know how Romney intends to bring the GOP together to enact his agenda (the tea party/establishment split is a very real thing), let alone convince Democrats to come aboard. The next four years are nothing to be excited about politically, regardless of who wins this election. Our political infrastructure is approaching a massive turning point, one that will not be kind to either party.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »

I've already explained it above. Obama stands for higher taxes than the Republicans do which takes money out of the private sector which goes to Washington D.C. and is then redistributed to people who don't work. Now if tax payers could keep more of their own money they could hire those who are unemployed. Let's say the tax payers spend it on something else for themselves. No problem there because where they spend the money will create jobs. My point being that at some point down the line having more money in the private sector will create jobs. All Obama does for the economy is scare companies into going overseas by supporting higher wages and taxes while at the same time complaining about everyone who has done well on their own.

But wouldn't giving money to the unemployed also help the economy since they will go out and spend that money. Many taxpayers would save that money which isn't as good for the economy as spending.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »

I'm not saying Romney can't win the election (though if I were a betting man my money would be on Obama), he can. More importantly though, I don't know how Romney intends to bring the GOP together to enact his agenda (the tea party/establishment split is a very real thing), let alone convince Democrats to come aboard. The next fours are nothing to be excited about politically, regardless of who wins this election. Our political infrastructure is approaching a massive turning point, one that will not be kind to either party.
Economically speaking, I'd rather have Romnye win. Because of the drought and Europe, there'll probably be a double dip in 2013. That would benefit Democrats in the midterms and would set us up for a win in 2016.
But I want Obama to win for the bragging rights. We can be able to say that he came in with a recession and high unemployment and still won re-election. If Obama loses this year, there won't be another Black President for 50 years.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:08 PM »

But wouldn't giving money to the unemployed also help the economy since they will go out and spend that money. Many taxpayers would save that money which isn't as good for the economy as spending.

That's possible too but we want as many people working as possible. Unemployment will never be at 0% but there's a better chance of directly creating jobs if money is kept by people rather than given to the government and then redistributed in exchange for votes. I do think there's a point to be made about unemployment checks going back into the economy especially if people pay into it with their taxes prior to being laid off. I'm not against unemployment either but a line has to be drawn. My buddy was laid off and collected unemployment for over a year and a half when he only worked at the post office for a few weeks during the holidays. The main reason he started working there in the first place was so that he could collect unemployment and the only reason he got the job is because his parents work there. I'm very much in the middle when it comes to this issue but the way I look at it is that if someone makes money then it should be there's to keep minus 15% in federal taxes and whatever their state and local taxes are. After that discussions take place on how to spend taxes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies