Can Romney Get Aything Done (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:54:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Romney Get Aything Done (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Romney Get Aything Done  (Read 3749 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 26, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »

lay off many public sector employees.

As the Wall Street Journal pointed out earlier this week, you could fire every single government employee, both civilian and military, and we'd still be running a deficit.  Payroll is only a small part of the budget.

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious.

I'd like to hope they would, but I doubt it.  There are enough people in both parties who think it is their party's political self-interest to preserve the filibuster.  The Republicans will need at least 55 Senators to get rid of the filibuster.

The way things are shaping up, I doubt that whoever wins in November will be having a happy 2013.  Between Europe and the drought, I think we'll be headed back into recession, if we don't get there sooner.  Then there is the headache of Iran, not to mention some other crisis that is likely to pile on.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Actually, one of the major expenses of Medicaid is paying the nursing home expenses of the indigent elderly.  Medicare has absolutely no provision for long term care.

As for defunding Obamacare, yeah, the GOP can do that without getting rid of the filibuster, but they can't eliminate the must carry provisions that would fall upon insurers and which without some incentive to cause people to get insurance would end up destroying the private health insurance market if not taken care of.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies