Can Romney Get Aything Done (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:35:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Romney Get Aything Done (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Romney Get Aything Done  (Read 3738 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:02 AM »

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious

I don't think they'll abolish the filibuster. If they gain the majority in 2012, there's a good chance the Democrats take it back in 2014, because the GOP's majority would be of about one seat or so, and the fear that Hillary Clitnon would defeat Romney in 2016.

I hope they do abolish the filibuster -- or at least reform it to end the de facto rule that 60 Senators are needed to pass most legislation.  It will be a popular reform (or abolition) across the political spectrum.  We are left to wonder why the Democrats didn't abolish or reform it when they had the power in 2009-10.

I doubt the Dems can retake the Senate in 2014, though I agree with you that "the GOP's majority would be of about one seat or so".  From what I can tell, in 2014 the Dems have to defend 20 seats -- including five in the South and two in solidly red states (MT and SD) -- and the Republicans only 13.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »

Never trust anyone who thinks "government" is a three-sylable word.  :-)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

Why? Because they have a better grasp of English pronunciation than you do?

Are you talking about the same people who treat "Worcestershire" as a three-sylable word?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

You must pronounce it "gov'ment" right?

And so people who pronounce it "gov-ern-ment" are pronouncing the root word "govern" which I guess classes with your ideology?  Is that what is going on here?

Did you notice the little smiley-face at the end of my comment?  I meant it as a joke.  A lot of my political favorites pronounce it as gov-ern-ment.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Yeah, but isn't the individual mandate what conservatives don't like, even though it was your idea. The mandate will still be there, even if you kill funding. But you guys are still gonna deny people health coverage just to peruse some right wing ideological talking point?

You liberals will still be permitted to donate generously to organizations that will provide low- or no-cost health care services.  You just won't be able to take as much OPM as you want.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies