Can Romney Get Aything Done (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:38:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Romney Get Aything Done (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Romney Get Aything Done  (Read 3729 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

Lets say the Rominee wins in November. The GOP isn't gonna have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, and the Tea Party is gonna be pushing Romney, so Dems aren't gonna vote for Romney's bills. If Romney does win, what exactly is he ACTUALLY gonna be able to do with a democrats in congress against everything he tries and Tea Partiers pushing him to the right. What exactly does a Romney Term look like, and no BS about how him just being President will encourage businesses to hire.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »

As soon as the Republicans take the Senate back, they'll abolish the filibuster on day 1. That should be obvious

I don't think they'll abolish the filibuster. If they gain the majority in 2012, there's a good chance the Democrats take it back in 2014, because the GOP's majority would be of about one seat or so, and the fear that Hillary Clitnon would defeat Romney in 2016.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Yeah, but isn't the individual mandate what conservatives don't like, even though it was your idea. The mandate will still be there, even if you kill funding. But you guys are still gonna deny people health coverage just to peruse some right wing ideological talking point?
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »

Yes, Romney can repeal Obamacare and reduce government spending, and issue waivers for other programs such as Medicaid.

Just what the retirees of America want!

You're probably thinking of Medicare.

Anyway, if the GOPers take the Senate and get rid of the ... Actually, I don't think they even have to get rid of the filibuster, since budgets aren't subject to it ... they can stop Obama spending for ObamaCare.  Sure, he can shut down the government, but will he do that for such an unpopular program?

Yeah, but isn't the individual mandate what conservatives don't like, even though it was your idea. The mandate will still be there, even if you kill funding. But you guys are still gonna deny people health coverage just to peruse some right wing ideological talking point?

Universal health care is the liberal dubious ideological goal. It is certainly not a prerequisite to a growing economy.
But it is a prerequisite to a balanced budget, Medicare for all would cut billions out of our deficit.
America has the MOST exepnsive and LEAST effective Health Care System of any modernized country in the world. universal Health Care is an importan American Goal. Richard Nixon tried it. So did Mitt Romney. And don't forget, Republicans tried to pass their own Health Bill in 1993, ObamaCare was that bill. Majority Leader Bill Frist likes the bill too.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

Oh no, I agree with you. My Democratic colleagues are not doing their jobs. We need major reforms to the social safety net so we can get our fiscal house in order. They haven't even passed a budget in 4 freakin years, man. That's why I have such great respect for Paul Ryan. At least he has a plan, no matter how vague and devastating it is. Don't scream "He's cutting Medicare!" if you don't even have a plan to save it.
Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner, and Cantor need to get off there butts and pass Simpson-Bowles.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »

In the unlikely event that Romney wins the 2012 election, I will have my popcorn ready for the debt ceiling fight in 2013. Prepare to watch the GOP rip its self apart, Romney is not the type of man that can unite the paranoid lunatics with the beholden, it should be a debacle of enormous proportions.

That's one bad ass name but why so grim?

Thank you, I'm a dinophile. Tongue

I'm grim because I'm a realist. Romney has failed to unite the warring factions of the GOP behind his candidacy to replace a President they loathe; why should I believe that he can get the party to work together on something as difficult and politically challenging as spending? The next 4 years are stacked against whoever wins this election; the dark parts of my political conscience would rather it be the Democrats problem.

I don't think our party needs to be united to vote though. We turned out for McCain. It's all about selling himself to independents and how things go for Obama in the next few months. With two conventions, 3 debates, and Labor Day coming alot can happen.

I'm not saying Romney can't win the election (though if I were a betting man my money would be on Obama), he can. More importantly though, I don't know how Romney intends to bring the GOP together to enact his agenda (the tea party/establishment split is a very real thing), let alone convince Democrats to come aboard. The next fours are nothing to be excited about politically, regardless of who wins this election. Our political infrastructure is approaching a massive turning point, one that will not be kind to either party.
Economically speaking, I'd rather have Romnye win. Because of the drought and Europe, there'll probably be a double dip in 2013. That would benefit Democrats in the midterms and would set us up for a win in 2016.
But I want Obama to win for the bragging rights. We can be able to say that he came in with a recession and high unemployment and still won re-election. If Obama loses this year, there won't be another Black President for 50 years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies