SENATE BILL: Economic Democratization Act (Withdrawn) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:48:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Economic Democratization Act (Withdrawn) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Economic Democratization Act (Withdrawn)  (Read 1891 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: July 26, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »

I'm a bit uncomfortable with this bill.  I support workers' rights, but I think there needs to be a balance between the interests of the workers and of the CEOs.  Simply dividing the decision making might be a good idea for some companies (and there is one like that, as I recall, but its name escapes me), but mandating that every large business simply spread the power like this would demonstrate, to me, as an overreach.

I also have a concern about employment.  If a growing business doesn't want to be democratized, wouldn't they be more likely to turn away would-be employees or lay people off to duck from the minimum employee threshold?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »

There would have to be a tremendous amount of businesses for jobs to be available to everyone, because I think many of them would simply cap the number of people they hire.  Young and inexperienced workers, in particular, would have an extremely difficult time finding work because most aren't going to simply start their own businesses if no one's hiring them.  I'm not sure what could remedy this problem, and that's part of why I don't think I can vote for this bill.  Your proposal to remove the direct democratic provisions is a good start, but I think it would be more ideal to pass legislation that strengthens the influence of unions, which has been declining for decades.

That brings me to another question- how would unions be impacted by this legislation?  It seems to me that if workers get this much say in how their businesses operate, there would no longer be a need for them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies