SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:40:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations)  (Read 7944 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

Would the Committee members desire the invitation of the Justices to offer their opinion on this since they have been outspoken on previous reform attempts already?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »

Would the Committee members desire the invitation of the Justices to offer their opinion on this since they have been outspoken on previous reform attempts already?

Very much so.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »

Do you agree, Scott?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »

Why are there multiple bills trying to pack the court?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »

Absolutely.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »

Because the time has come to expand the Court.  Three Justices is simply too few; all a Justice needs to do is to persuade one other person of the correctness of his idea in order to win.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »

Because the time has come to expand the Court.  Three Justices is simply too few; all a Justice needs to do is to persuade one other person of the correctness of his idea in order to win.
So your solution is to pack the court?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »

My solution is to expand the number of Justices.  It is narrow-minded to say that the Court can never be expanded.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »

My solution is to expand the number of Justices.  It is narrow-minded to say that the Court can never be expanded.
And it's not narrow minded to expand the court because you don't agree with it's rulings? Do you realize what kind of precedent that sets? If you want court reform you could try to increase the participation of 3 justices by making it more like real supreme court in function, and making potential impeachment procedures more fact based/rather than partisan minded court packing. We should include the oral arguments and make it imperative that judges participate in asking questions, and also make it necessary to have opinion drafts with every verdict.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »

I don't disagree with the Court's rulings, that's the thing.  I think the Court is doing an excellent job.  There have been no impeachments, nothing to politicize the Court.  You're seeing a conspiracy where one doesn't exist.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:46 AM »

I concur with Ben.  I fail to see how expanding the court politicizes it in any way.  However, I also agree with Seatown's suggestions because all of our justices should be obligated to present their own opinions, whether they stand alone or are in the majority.  The justices have a very limited role as things currently stand.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

The Justices have been invited to respond on this matter.

I also concur with mandated opinion drafts if such is possible. I inquired about legal ways to address this matter with the Chief Justice and haven't recieved a response. Since the Justices have been invited to testify here I would like it if they may also opine on this matter as well.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »

I don't understand why this idea is still being debated. The court has functioned fine for 8 years with three members. There's barely anything for us to do as is, but obviously reducing the court to two members would result in ties, and reducing it to one member would be giving a single person far too much power. So we have three... and it's just the right number.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

I don't understand why this idea is still being debated. The court has functioned fine for 8 years with three members. There's barely anything for us to do as is, but obviously reducing the court to two members would result in ties, and reducing it to one member would be giving a single person far too much power. So we have three... and it's just the right number.

Wait...why are we talking about reducing the size of the Court? It would be better to expand the Court.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »

Wait...why are we talking about reducing the size of the Court? It would be better to expand the Court.

Nobody is talking about reduction; we're only considering expansion.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »

I was being semi-sarcastic and suggesting that reducing the court would make more sense than expanding it, but I don't support either obviously.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »

I was being semi-sarcastic and suggesting that reducing the court would make more sense than expanding it, but I don't support either obviously.

Obviously it wouldn't, but why, exactly, are you against expanding it?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

In addition to my first post, I read you talk about how there would be more debate . Justices, IRL and here in Atlasia, typically have most of their debate and discussions in private. How do you know we don't have enough debate? And how would you know whether or not there was an increase if we increased the size?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »

In addition to my first post, I read you talk about how there would be more debate . Justices, IRL and here in Atlasia, typically have most of their debate and discussions in private. How do you know we don't have enough debate? And how would you know whether or not there was an increase if we increased the size?

Well, then perhaps we could amend the Constitution so that justices are required to debate the cases in public rather than in private, in addition to adding more justices.  I don't see how there wouldn't be more debate if justices were required to debate in public as well as write their own opinions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 02:54:59 AM by Ebowed »

I also concur with mandated opinion drafts if such is possible. I inquired about legal ways to address this matter with the Chief Justice and haven't recieved a response. Since the Justices have been invited to testify here I would like it if they may also opine on this matter as well.

Sorry, I think I must have missed that.  One idea could be re-confirmation hearings if a member of the Court fails to attach their name to an opinion twice without explanation, as unlike re-confirmations relating to fixed term lengths it would have less of a political aspect, and would likely be an effective method of requiring participation from every member of the Court.

This proposal becomes significantly less feasible if we are to expand the size of the Court, however, working under the assumption that people will be less inclined to participate if one of the other, say, four Justices can do their questioning and/or discussion for them.  I remain convinced that the reason for stagnation in the Court's activity is a simple lack of lawsuits in the last several years rather than any inherent flaws within the judicial system.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 03:25:59 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 03:35:07 AM by Senator Scott »

Sorry, I think I must have missed that.  One idea could be re-confirmation hearings if a member of the Court fails to attach their name to an opinion twice without explanation, as unlike re-confirmations relating to fixed term lengths it would have less of a political aspect, and would likely be an effective method of requiring participation from every member of the Court.

This proposal becomes significantly less feasible if we are to expand the size of the Court, however, working under the assumption that people will be less inclined to participate if one of the other, say, four Justices can do their questioning and/or discussion for them.  I remain convinced that the reason for stagnation in the Court's activity is a simple lack of lawsuits in the last several years rather than any inherent flaws within the judicial system.

Admittedly, a new addition of justices wouldn't create any new court cases (feel free to dispute that, Yankee and Ben, if either of you think otherwise); however, as previously stated, the inclusion of more people on the bench would encourage better participation and create more diverse opinions when cases do, in fact, come up.  I simply don't understand how one justice would be inclined to do all the work for the remaining justices, especially if we go forward with something like your idea to reconfirm members of the Court.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 04:43:50 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 04:45:01 AM »

Because they want to politicize the court - they don't like the current set of justices, so they want to upend the constitution for their own petty ends.  It is profoundly ugly.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »

This proposal becomes significantly less feasible if we are to expand the size of the Court, however, working under the assumption that people will be less inclined to participate if one of the other, say, four Justices can do their questioning and/or discussion for them.  I remain convinced that the reason for stagnation in the Court's activity is a simple lack of lawsuits in the last several years rather than any inherent flaws within the judicial system.

Admittedly, a new addition of justices wouldn't create any new court cases (feel free to dispute that, Yankee and Ben, if either of you think otherwise); however, as previously stated, the inclusion of more people on the bench would encourage better participation and create more diverse opinions when cases do, in fact, come up.  I simply don't understand how one justice would be inclined to do all the work for the remaining justices, especially if we go forward with something like your idea to reconfirm members of the Court.
Inclusion of more justices is pure politicization of the court as opebo has stated, especially when it gets like 2 cases a year. I would consider adding a bill that increases the duties of the court to include a questioning period similar to the one of supreme court of the US, and also having obligatory opinions written when ruling on a case.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »

It would appear that all three of our highest court's members have differing opinions only in that they are in various degrees of opposition. Tongue

Unless more feedback or testimony is desired from some person on this matter, I think we should begin to move on.

I think at this point we should have the members get on the record with statements or some sort, followed by a vote on a recommendation, both to the Senate as a whole and to the other committee. We should focus our recommendations, reasonings and justifications to primarily issues of function and effectiveness of the measure in terms of achieving some type of reform, in this case trying to encourage activity of the Supreme Court.

What are thoughts of the other members with regards to proceeding in such a fashion?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies