SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:47:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations)  (Read 8011 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »

Harass Senator Wormyguy for being inactive? Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »

That would probably be up to the Judiciary Committee to do. Wink
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »

Yes, but the Judiciary Committee is also delegated jurisdiction over federal courts and judges.  Perhaps both committees could take the issue up?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »

Though the number of Supreme Court cases we have in Atlasia is quite small, I believe that appointing an additional two judges to the Court will help stimulate debate and involvement when the cases occur.  Overall, I don't see any down sides to this proposal with the exception of the possibility that finding potential judges will be hard to find.  However, on the other hand, this may entice former players or people with busy schedules (such as, for example, Keystone Phil) to sign up for Atlasia and be able to contribute to the game in a small way.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »

Absolutely.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:46 AM »

I concur with Ben.  I fail to see how expanding the court politicizes it in any way.  However, I also agree with Seatown's suggestions because all of our justices should be obligated to present their own opinions, whether they stand alone or are in the majority.  The justices have a very limited role as things currently stand.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »

I was being semi-sarcastic and suggesting that reducing the court would make more sense than expanding it, but I don't support either obviously.

Obviously it wouldn't, but why, exactly, are you against expanding it?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »

In addition to my first post, I read you talk about how there would be more debate . Justices, IRL and here in Atlasia, typically have most of their debate and discussions in private. How do you know we don't have enough debate? And how would you know whether or not there was an increase if we increased the size?

Well, then perhaps we could amend the Constitution so that justices are required to debate the cases in public rather than in private, in addition to adding more justices.  I don't see how there wouldn't be more debate if justices were required to debate in public as well as write their own opinions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:25:59 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 03:35:07 AM by Senator Scott »

I also concur with mandated opinion drafts if such is possible. I inquired about legal ways to address this matter with the Chief Justice and haven't recieved a response. Since the Justices have been invited to testify here I would like it if they may also opine on this matter as well.

Sorry, I think I must have missed that.  One idea could be re-confirmation hearings if a member of the Court fails to attach their name to an opinion twice without explanation, as unlike re-confirmations relating to fixed term lengths it would have less of a political aspect, and would likely be an effective method of requiring participation from every member of the Court.

This proposal becomes significantly less feasible if we are to expand the size of the Court, however, working under the assumption that people will be less inclined to participate if one of the other, say, four Justices can do their questioning and/or discussion for them.  I remain convinced that the reason for stagnation in the Court's activity is a simple lack of lawsuits in the last several years rather than any inherent flaws within the judicial system.

Admittedly, a new addition of justices wouldn't create any new court cases (feel free to dispute that, Yankee and Ben, if either of you think otherwise); however, as previously stated, the inclusion of more people on the bench would encourage better participation and create more diverse opinions when cases do, in fact, come up.  I simply don't understand how one justice would be inclined to do all the work for the remaining justices, especially if we go forward with something like your idea to reconfirm members of the Court.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »

I think that the requirement for all judges to write opinions might be the only thing we can get public support for, at this point.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »

I think we should get to a vote soon, though.  If possible, I'd like to schedule the Judiciary Committee's recommendation vote around the same time as this committee's recommendation vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »

I think we should get to a vote soon, though.  If possible, I'd like to schedule the Judiciary Committee's recommendation vote around the same time as this committee's recommendation vote.

I was under the impression that your committee would work out the details of the draft opinion issue for a period of time after we wrapped on the matter?

TJ and I kind of figured we may as well start with the court issue first and then move onto the next topic.  I didn't think that the time that we would work out the details would be a huge issue.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »

In opinion should the Supreme by expanded by the addition of two more members?
Nay.

Should all the Supreme Court Justices be required to post opinions on each case considered by the court?
Aye.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »

If I am allowed to vote here... Tongue

If we pursue both ideas, I would also suggest making them separate amendments so one does not doom the other.

In opinion should the Supreme by expanded by the addition of two more members?
Nay.

Should all the Supreme Court Justices be required to post opinions on each case considered by the court?
Aye.

You're not allowed to vote in committees that you aren't a member of. Tongue

The Judiciary Committee could possibly be voting on something right now, though. Wink
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »

I think it would be more appropriate to discuss Ben's legislation while it's still on the queue.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »

I think this act is appropriate.  Obviously, we don't really have ways of "fining" or "jailing" officials who refuse to testify, and as harsh as the penalty may be, it's probably necessary.

My only suggestion is that maybe, if such a situation arises in which a private citizen is called to testify and they refuse, their voting rights be rescinded for a period of time?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »

I think that's all that's necessary, yeah.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »

1. Aye
2. Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »

The next thing on the agenda is an investigation into gov't policies relating to the economy in recent times. Who all should we drag before us in chains?

I think Shua would best be suited for that department, and maybe previous GMs as well.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »

Him, too.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

Mercy mercy me.  That'll take a while.

Yup.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

The entire first month or so of my term was spent on constitutional amendments and resolutions, which didn't exactly give the SoIA much to work with.

Still, I think it would be helpful if the SoIA wrote news stories every now and then.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 02:02:30 PM »

From the international side, I echo Marokai's concerns about continuity.  When Joyce replaced me, he followed through on my stories, which was a good thing.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's any legislative way to force a new office holder to follow through.

I agree.  Unless we threaten impeachment or call upon the person in charge to be reconfirmed more often (not likely), there's really no way of enforcing this.  However, I think the president ought to appoint people who openly intend on continuing on the storyline.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »

Could we, perhaps, require an outgoing GM/SoIA/SoEA to prepare a list of their story lines, publish them publicly, and require the incoming officeholder to adhere to the stories, under threat of impeachment?

I don't think a list of storylines is necessary when all the stories can conveniently be found in the threads themselves. Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »

To be fair, however, we can all "write stories."  If I were to write about me promising Felipe Calderón support for restoring lost territories to Mexico, thereby potentially jeopardizing Atlasian-Mexican relations, that would probably be accepted as part of the 'timeline.'  Not that I would ever consider doing something like that, of course. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies