SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:47:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations)  (Read 8024 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: July 31, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »

I would love to see my proposal to add two Justices to the Court get some consideration in Committee: this one, the Judiciary or both. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »

Isn't the purpose of the court meant to provide a check on executive/legislative excess by concentrating judicial power into the hands of a unelected, lifetime judges?

How does changing the court, increase the number of cases?

It doesn't but it addresses the Senator's other concern quite nicely, with the benefit of cooler court cases. 3-0 and 2-1I is so stale. What about 5-0, 4-1, 3-2 all possibilities? Certainly would be more interesting than currently, without fruiting our most active members to fill the roles.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

I don't understand why this idea is still being debated. The court has functioned fine for 8 years with three members. There's barely anything for us to do as is, but obviously reducing the court to two members would result in ties, and reducing it to one member would be giving a single person far too much power. So we have three... and it's just the right number.

Wait...why are we talking about reducing the size of the Court? It would be better to expand the Court.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »

The entire first month or so of my term was spent on constitutional amendments and resolutions, which didn't exactly give the SoIA much to work with.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:07:05 AM »

Could we, perhaps, require an outgoing GM/SoIA/SoEA to prepare a list of their story lines, publish them publicly, and require the incoming officeholder to adhere to the stories, under threat of impeachment?

No.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »

I'll point out that I like what both Badger and Shua have said here.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

It is not the public's job to think up stories for you to write, Shua. It is yours. Purple State's tenure as GM taught me that you won't know what people can/will respond to unless you write it.
When was the last time the public was interested in any story, either domestically or internationally? I can't remember. The more fundamental issue is that there's little evidence that what I write is read at all. If it had been, the question of why we still have high unemployment would not be such a complete mystery.

If you produce something, I will quickly use the pulpit to make the public care.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

Hi.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »

I will be invoking executive privilege.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »

When I clicked on this thread and waited the usually five second dial up delay, I saw a blank white background with big bold lettering. It said, "EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE".

That's pretty awesome.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies