The $5 Trillion Stash: U.S. Corporations' Money Hoard Bigger Than GDP of Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The $5 Trillion Stash: U.S. Corporations' Money Hoard Bigger Than GDP of Germany
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The $5 Trillion Stash: U.S. Corporations' Money Hoard Bigger Than GDP of Germany  (Read 1195 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/the-5-trillion-stash-us-corporations-money-hoard-is-bigger-than-the-gdp-of-germany/260006/#

Yeah, corporate America is really suffering, that's the problem... not quite.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »

This needs to be diluted through printing - the only way to get it out from under the mattress is to print and spend till they have no bloody choice.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

This needs to be diluted through printing - the only way to get it out from under the mattress is to print and spend till they have no bloody choice.

Then the cash horde earns more interest to keep up with ensuing inflation opebo, or the corps switch to another currency. Try again.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »

Just implement confiscatory tax rates on this kind of thing. Problem solved.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »

Then the cash horde earns more interest to keep up with ensuing inflation opebo, or the corps switch to another currency. Try again.

You mean just like what happened after QE1 and QE2?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 03:30:49 PM by opebo »

Come on buddy, you know if the State printed and spent they would create such economic growth that the corporations would have incentive to invest.  Of course my personal preference would involve the guillotine for all involved in such crimes as this, but that's probably too much to hope for.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

Come on buddy, you know if the State printed and spent they would create such economic growth that the corporations would have incentive to invest.  Of course my personal preference would involve the guillotine for all involved in such crimes as this, but that's probably too much to hope for.

Ever heard of stagflation?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »

You mean just like what happened after QE1 and QE2?

No px, as I have explained before, more than once, "printing" money to replace money "destroyed" by the diminution in fractionalized banking (less bank lending, which lending if made increases the money supply) is not putting the total money supply on steroids, which is what opebo I assumed was proposing, albeit I think inaccurately, to induce corporations to jettison their cash hordes.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »

Stocks and flows, stocks and flows.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »

Even if the cash supply exceeds the country's GDP?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

Even if the cash supply exceeds the country's GDP?

Cash and GDP are not comparable concepts. One is a flow variable and the other is a stock variable.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:41 PM »

Where are they storing this money? I assume in banks- in which case, what's the problem? Banks don't just let money sit there, they invest it/loan it out.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »

Where are they storing this money? I assume in banks- in which case, what's the problem? Banks don't just let money sit there, they invest it/loan it out.

Except when they don't.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »

Most of the money is being stored overseas. That's supposedly the difference between the Fed Flow of Funds Report and the IRS.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The "stag" in stagflation comes from the 1973 and 1979 oil crises, which were essentially supply shocks and have no bearing to any debates today. Everyone agrees that negative supply shocks are bad.
t_host1

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »

Except when they don't.
[Torie]s’ “Except when they don’t” – lend (loan), because, why, when the bank can buy (invest) much easier. Last week, it might have been the previous, one of the banking geniuses for merging investment and traditional banking together says it is time to decuple the two. Rape in broad daylight has reached its limit is my take on it. The current Fed and Congress are too late to realize the consequences for this subsidized preference for they have extinguished the very thing that makes them whole – commerce.

Corporation’s hording their cash will unwind once they can get something for it. Besides, why, disrupt what’s working for them, now. Of course they’ll have the advantages, what’s new. The key is to be around long enough with something worthy of the sell when and if the buy/spend happens. Some say that politics (policies) are of what we are, it’s just understanding them we are told, is, the problem.
 Wasn't the original federal and state bank charters intent, "too" commiserate (for a fee) the trades of currency, not capitalize on it too its current path of extinction. 
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 04:15:01 AM »

Except when they don't.
The banks you mean? So long as their is a viable place to direct the money that is more profitable then simply letting the money sit in their vaults, the banks will direct the money there. During a collapse(ala late 2008), sure they might sit on their cash. But not now when theirs a significant opportunity cost of leaving money inert in their vaults.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »

and/or hire an organized crime outfit to get our money back.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 06:05:17 AM »

and/or hire an organized crime outfit to get our money back.

There's an obnoxious libertarian joke here somewhere about how you just restated what I originally said that I'll call attention to before any of our beloved libertarian posters make it themselves.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »

Except when they don't.
The banks you mean? So long as their is a viable place to direct the money that is more profitable then simply letting the money sit in their vaults, the banks will direct the money there. During a collapse(ala late 2008), sure they might sit on their cash. But not now when theirs a significant opportunity cost of leaving money inert in their vaults.

The banks make money with safe investments. They think they are having trouble finding credit worthy folks to lend to, so they don't lend for more risky ventures, even though if they were paid back with interest, they would make more money.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »

Yes.  That is not relevant to our discussion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies