1980: Reagan/Anderson vs. Carter/Mondale (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:57:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980: Reagan/Anderson vs. Carter/Mondale (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1980: Reagan/Anderson vs. Carter/Mondale  (Read 3907 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 05, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »

My guess. Carter loses MN, RI, and MD thanks to some OTL Anderson voters switching over. I left him with WV because, even though he took it with >40% margins, if you add up Reagan's and Anderson's totals, they're just shy of taking the state. As well, I gave Carter HI because I think a number of Anderson voters there would have been much more likely to go Carter than Reagan anyway. However, there's the chance that some Anderson voters in MN, RI, and MD would've stuck with Carter in this scenario as well. It's tricky given we son't know how much of Anderson's support was made up of otherwise loyal liberal Republicans, disaffected liberal Democrats, independents, and so on.

Also, and I'm not saying this is likely, but if Reagan goes a bit to the left, it's possible that Carter could pick up strength in the South. After all, a number of Southern states only went to Reagan with >40% margins.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies