Official Chick-fil-A Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:17:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33512 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:16:48 AM »

I had no idea what a Chick-fil-a was until this outrage started.

As noted in the articles about it tends to be more of a "red state" (incorrect color of course, blue by the correct Atlas color scheme) thing, the only one I've ever seen is the one at my old university's food court. The only two in the Twin Cities appear to be in food courts at the University of Minnesota and the airport, so yeah outside the south they just seem to appear in food courts. I did eat at it at my university because at the time I wasn't aware of who owned it and what they supported, but their nuggets have this really weird aftertaste and the food in general has a way of making you feel gross afterwards. Probably better to avoid it anyway.

I think boycotting a company that donates millions to organisations that funds 'ex-gay' shams is a sensible thing to do if you have 21st Century sensibilities.

This is sensible, but what Chicago is doing is quite different. If a person has an offensive position and another person disagrees a boycott is an acceptable means of protest against their organization. If a person has an offensive position and government official chooses to discriminate against their organization on a neutral matter like zoning or subdivision that is not an acceptable form of protest.

That's kind of how I feel, I mean what if some mayor in the south screaming about "defending traditional marriage" decided to try to block the opening of an Apple Store because of Apple's position on this? The mayor publicizing the company's CEO's position and fundings and calling for a boycott is also an effective way of shaming and hurting the company. Trying to block them from opening then lets them play the victim card and drum up sympathy. This is now doubt winning Chik-fil-a far more business in the south that would equal far more money than just a new location in Boston and Chicago would.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

SOUTHERN Baptists are the problem. Lots of other Baptists are liberal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »

BTW since Yelnoc has been fairly defensive of Catholicism in the past (inexplicably, since he obviously isn't Catholic), he might want to familiarize himself with this guy: http://www.citypages.com/2012-06-20/news/archbishop-john-nienstedt-crusades-against-gay-marriage

He's probably even worse than the Chik-fil-A president.

Oh, and congratulations Sanchez!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »

BTW since Yelnoc has been fairly defensive of Catholicism in the past (inexplicably, since he obviously isn't Catholic), he might want to familiarize himself with this guy: http://www.citypages.com/2012-06-20/news/archbishop-john-nienstedt-crusades-against-gay-marriage

He's probably even worse than the Chik-fil-A president.

Again, the average Catholic is quite far of the teachings of the Church.

That might be true, but I fail to see how that exonerates the church itself (note that he said he hates "the Baptist church", which is a far looser affiliation than the Catholic church), or why people with such extreme disagreement continue to be that way (and in many cases are still giving them money too.) You can just leave the church, it's not hard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies