Official Chick-fil-A Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:28:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33450 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »

Really disappointed to see so many people advocating for local governments to ban Chick-Fil-A.  That said, I'd never eat there, because 1) I can't; 2) It looks gross; and, 3) I think their political position here is abhorrent.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:06 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.

Totally agreed.  Gay marriage is going to happen because the argument for it is better, and the argument wasn't shut down back when gay marriage was a marginal social/political position.  Institutional suppression is the enemy of good social change, so this shtick really disappoints me.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.

Totally agreed.  Gay marriage is going to happen because the argument for it is better, and the argument wasn't shut down back when gay marriage was a marginal social/political position.  Institutional suppression is the enemy of good social change, so this shtick really disappoints me.
I know today that I am on the wrong side of history-there is no stopping the winds of change, even if it contradicts my own religious views. The actions of those wanting to outright ban Chic-fil-A is just as evil, and indefensible as the persecutions of homosexuals throughout history.

I'm not sure how to feel about this...you equate the harm of enforcing ideological projects over choice via state power, and then say you oppose gay marriage because of your personal religious views...how can you entertain the belief that one is "evil" and then outwardly practice the other?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:44:51 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 01:52:16 AM by Alcon »

I oppose gay marriage, but I have no more of a right to force my views on gays than they do on me. The Mayor of Boston does not have the right (legally, as well as theoretically) to ban Chic-fil-A, and I don't have a right to ban gay marriage.  

Except you are opposing an otherwise rational state policy (sorry, but there's just no good argument there) based on your own personal religious views -- presumably because you think it's immoral to contribute state approval of a practice you personally consider immoral.  You do realize that's not particularly far off from what you're calling "evil"?  I realize that, in one case, it's the state refusing to allow a private business based on personal ideology; in another case, it's the state refusing to engage in an otherwise rational social policy because of personal ideology.  That's a distinction.  It's enough of one that one is "evil" to you and the other is a political view you actively hold?

I hope I'm being clear.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:50:02 AM »

Don't bother with EAT MOR CHIKIN.  Proxy IP; he'll be gone soon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies