Official Chick-fil-A Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:34:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33511 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: July 27, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »

I know Mayor Mumbles Menino sent a letter to a landlord telling him he didn't want the business in Boston.  However, he is quickly backtracking because he is likely abusing power/breaking the law.

I'm not too sure about that.  Certain cities and towns (like mine) have ordinances that give mayors the right to deny businesses from being established if they don't want them.  I don't know anything about Boston's ordinances, though.

As for me, I personally wouldn't eat at a Chick-fil-A if it were the only restaurant in the world.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

I know Mayor Mumbles Menino sent a letter to a landlord telling him he didn't want the business in Boston.  However, he is quickly backtracking because he is likely abusing power/breaking the law.

I'm not too sure about that.  Certain cities and towns (like mine) have ordinances that give mayors the right to deny businesses from being established if they don't want them.  I don't know anything about Boston's ordinances, though.

As for me, I personally wouldn't eat at a Chick-fil-A if it were the only restaurant in the world.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/07/26/menino-maintains-his-opposition-chick-file-but-admits-can-stop-the-chain-from-coming-boston/UTOEtdlKRipuFIbCF44STM/story.html

Ah.  Oh, well.

Hopefully there will be at least some residents that place equal rights as a higher priority than food.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2012, 04:54:14 PM by Senator Scott »

God, how I hate the Baptist Church.
Baptists have been corrupted like the Tea Party...Baptists once believed in religious freedom. They once believed in more than tolerance-they believed in full blown love and acceptance. They once believed that every person is made in God's image, and thus, homosexuality is perfectly fine.

I went back to Church today, for the first time in a few months, and was actually invited to join (despite that fact that I don't even live in the same county) and I must say, all opposition to gay marriage I had just yesterday was and is wrong. The point that won me over:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wish other Christian churches would take up the old Baptist beliefs that are still practiced at my church. This still does not change my opinion on the Chick-fil-A debacle, of course. I still think they have a right to their opinion, just as I have mine (which is now the opposite of theirs), and that the outrage is uncalled for.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »

Yup, business is booming!

I wonder if there was a weird salmonella breakout recently.  Boy, wouldn't that make headlines..
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »

I wonder if there was a weird salmonella breakout recently.  Boy, wouldn't that make headlines..

Hey, someone made up a graph on the internet and wished illness on others! You must be proud.

I don't recall actually wishing anything on someone, but hey, that's your own interpretation.

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »

I don't recall actually wishing anything on someone, but hey, that's your own interpretation.

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley

Oh I shall. Seeing is believing. I thank you for mobilizing the people.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/45-photos-of-insanely-long-lines-for-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day/article/2503792&rct=j&sa=X&ei=M7YZUOf7M7LF0AGM-ICAAw&ved=0CGUQ-AsoATAI&q=chick+fil+a&usg=AFQjCNFtfnr0xnXsn3zIjrOMXoA4Eg84Dg

Photos?  That's all you have?  Meaningless.

I suppose I can understand why you don't like reading the numbers, though.  Math teachers are bad, right?

But really, even if the boycotts were meaningless, what does that say?  I could put a huge swastika sign outside of a McDonalds, and people would still eat there.  People tend to think with their stomachs, not with their values.  And you don't have to drive around much to see that.  

So the fact that there's a national 'Stuff Your Face' Day for means of political protest isn't very surprising.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley

Oh I shall. Seeing is believing. I thank you for mobilizing the people.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/45-photos-of-insanely-long-lines-for-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day/article/2503792&rct=j&sa=X&ei=M7YZUOf7M7LF0AGM-ICAAw&ved=0CGUQ-AsoATAI&q=chick+fil+a&usg=AFQjCNFtfnr0xnXsn3zIjrOMXoA4Eg84Dg

Photos?  That's all you have?  Meaningless.

I suppose I can understand why you don't like reading the numbers, though.  Math teachers are bad, right?

But really, even if the boycotts were meaningless, what does that say?  I could put a huge swastika sign outside of a McDonalds, and people would still eat there.  People tend to think with their stomachs, not with their values.  And you don't have to drive around much to see that.  

So the fact that there's a national 'Stuff Your Face' Day for means of political protest isn't very surprising.

No, I like numbers. I just laugh at how some think that such numbers particularly matter, especially given that Chick Fil A is not a national chain. They certainly have expressed no desire to go to, say, Connecticut, to my knowledge.

Here are some numbers for you.

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/reports/qsr50-2012-top-50-chart?sort=avg_sales&dir=asc

I'm willing to bet that at least half those people didn't know what they stood for on this issue before that interview.  That's why they've lost business as a result and had to have a bunch of teabagger talkshow trash bail them out.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »

I'm willing to bet that at least half those people didn't know what they stood for on this issue before that interview.  That's why they've lost business as a result and had to have a bunch of teabagger talkshow trash bail them out.

I suppose I can understand why you don't like reading the numbers. This is really fun for me watching you just make stuff up.

People don't like doing their research and would rather think with their stomachs.  You don't need numbers to figure that out.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »

I wonder if there was a weird salmonella breakout recently.  Boy, wouldn't that make headlines..

I'd be interested to see what's happened in the last week.  Have the pro-CFA people made a difference or have they not  really made a dent?

What do you mean?  According to the graphic, they lost business.

Also, for those who think it's exclusively anti-gay people that went to these shops today-

This was on Facebook.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »

I'd be interested to see what's happened in the last week.  Have the pro-CFA people made a difference or have they not  really made a dent?

Actually the graph only shows public perception - it doesn't state anything about how much business they did. Their public perception could be down but business could be up if their supporters started going more frequently.

Ah.  Well, it seems that could have one of two effects- either their supporters will buy there more frequently or the negative public perception will drive away would-be customers.  Conventional wisdom is that the latter will happen, but I guess it all depends.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:51 PM »

I mean, I want to see what's happened in the last week.  That graph is a week old.  It seems like the pro-CFA people lagged behind the anti-CFA people.

And Dibble, is that graph an indicator of their impression or some sort of index of visits?

Oh, that I'm not sure about.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »

Huckabee would've swept the map.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: