Official Chick-fil-A Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:24:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33460 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: July 27, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »

Is it enough to show we care by banning Chick-fil-A restaurants from Boston and Chicago and college campuses, or should we imprison the directors and shareholders?

Seriously, I've never visited a Chick-fil-A, but I will now.

While the 1%ers try to destroy Chick-fil-A by government intimidation and force, the 99%ers destroyed this by quiet boycott:

...what?

Dude, it's Mumbles Menino and a bunch of activists, not the full force of the United States government or something.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »

Chick'fila is a growing franchise that creates jobs. How amazing that some radicals would try to bash a good business.

Menino is hardly 'radical'. He basically is the Establishment in Boston.

Regardless of one's opinions on the particular happenstance here, I would hope you would agree in principle that there are values more important than being or supporting 'a growing franchise that creates jobs'?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

Chick'fila is a growing franchise that creates jobs. How amazing that some radicals would try to bash a good business.

Menino is hardly 'radical'. He basically is the Establishment in Boston.

Regardless of one's opinions on the particular happenstance here, I would hope you would agree in principle that there are values more important than being or supporting 'a growing franchise that creates jobs'?

Yes, I suppose that is true for the individual. I would think that it be prudent for a mayor of Boston to let the 600,000 people of Boston figure that out for themselves as Chick'Fil'A has not been accused of violating any discrimination law. Indeed, it would be quite clever of them to let Chick'Fila enter Boston and them expose themselves to a financial loss due to not having customers!

Unless of course, the people of Boston like Spicy Chicken.

The people of Boston like Thomas Menino.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.

This would be the most reasonable response. Official condemnations are nice, but not to the point of overstepping one's authority.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »

One thing I like about you opebo is you don't even bother with consistency.  After all, I presume you don't intend to stop complaining about your worries that the Thai people, through their elected representatives, will decide they no longer want to sell their girls in their communities.

No, I will not.  Obviously it is an issue of personal freedom and feminism that they be free from interference with their provision of services (and their winning of handsome incomes!)

Another way of putting this is - democracy is obviously better than plutocracy, but personal physical freedom (to take drugs for example, or have sex with whomever you like) is more important than democracy.

Yes and no. For somebody who accepts elements of the Marxist critique, you've always been remarkably (willfully?) oblivious as to the circumstances under which many women come to prostitution.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Hidden-Chick-fil-A-Billionaires-Hatched-as-3750621.php

Chick-fil-A generated $492 million in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization on revenue of $1.12 billion in 2011, the PrivCo report said. It added that the company’s 44 percent Ebitda margin was “virtually unheard of in the restaurant industry.”

The chain has the biggest sales per unit in fast-food, according to QSR Magazine. In 2011, the company generated gross sales of $2.9 million per location, outpacing the average unit sales of runner-up McDonald’s Corp. by $400,000, the magazine said in its August 2012 issue.

These men are quite accomplished and living the American Dream. Kudos.

America can certainly use more job creators and less whiners.

To some people there are things more important than accumulation of profit. I don't understand what you think this proves.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 06:53:28 PM by Nathan »

You appear to be restricting American values to the definition 'success in the free market'. I don't think that's all that American values are. I think they're other things as well.

Bear in mind that the particular chain of 'restaurants' we're talking about operates primarily (although not exclusively) in geographical areas and along cultural lines where these sorts of shenanigans help them. Others don't.

I'm well aware of President Obama's relative mendacity on this particular subject, but I don't recall him doubling down on 'God's judgment on our nation' or donating massive amounts of money to stridently anti-gay organizations and causes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »

I'm willing to bet that at least half those people didn't know what they stood for on this issue before that interview.  That's why they've lost business as a result and had to have a bunch of teabagger talkshow trash bail them out.

I suppose I can understand why you don't like reading the numbers. This is really fun for me watching you just make stuff up.

People don't like doing their research and would rather think with their stomachs.  You don't need numbers to figure that out.

I agree with that. They've been a growing franchise for a decade by providing good service and a good price, and now, thanks to the oppressive left, have free publicity. I don't believe they got there by calling people names; I suspect they leave that to you.

Of course, if people did the research, well, landslide majorities of the public has agreed with Chick Fil A in the jurisdictions in which they are located. I'm sorry you don't like those numbers either.

As always, you have a really weird definition of 'landslide' and a weirder inability to distinguish between past, present, and future, but that's not really what I'm interested in right now. I'm interested in what sense you mean the word 'service' in '[Chick-fil-A] provid[es] good service'.

How exactly is the left being more 'oppressive' than the people supported and donated to by the good people at Chick-fil-A on this complex of issues? Are you really that offended by boycotts and disapprobation from public officials?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2012, 01:42:50 AM by Nathan »

You know, we don't really have many Chick-fil-A joints in the Northeast, but we do have KFC, which, while similarly unhealthy, is politically a bit more...

...palatable.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »

What, other than successful business models of chicken 'restaurants', do you actually have respect for?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 01:49:59 AM by Nathan »

What, other than successful business models of chicken 'restaurants', do you actually have respect for?
Our "justice" system

The 3 of you use quotes in a very bizarre manner.

What's bizarre about it? Miles doesn't consider the person in question a thug, I mentally classify fast-food joints separately from restaurants, and Hawkeye appears to have serious questions about the fairness of the American judicial and penal systems.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies