Official Chick-fil-A Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:19:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33484 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:24 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.
Exactly-whether Chic-fil-A is right or wrong on gay marriage, is a totally differant issue. But they have as much a right to oppose gay marriage like Oreo supports it.

Question to those who want to ban Chic-fil-A (if any are actually here)-should I be punished for not supporting gay marriage?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.

Totally agreed.  Gay marriage is going to happen because the argument for it is better, and the argument wasn't shut down back when gay marriage was a marginal social/political position.  Institutional suppression is the enemy of good social change, so this shtick really disappoints me.
I know today that I am on the wrong side of history-there is no stopping the winds of change, even if it contradicts my own religious views. The actions of those wanting to outright ban Chic-fil-A is just as evil, and indefensible as the persecutions of homosexuals throughout history.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:54 AM »

Does Chik-Fil-A actually practice anti-gay discrimination (either as official policy as Cracker Barrel has for years, or unofficially to a notable degre worse than other corporations)?
From what I know, no, though I think the number of homosexuals working there is low due to their public opposition to gay marriage, and the few who apply are immediately accepted, as not to risk a discrimination lawsuit.

Totally agreed.  Gay marriage is going to happen because the argument for it is better, and the argument wasn't shut down back when gay marriage was a marginal social/political position.  Institutional suppression is the enemy of good social change, so this shtick really disappoints me.
I know today that I am on the wrong side of history-there is no stopping the winds of change, even if it contradicts my own religious views. The actions of those wanting to outright ban Chic-fil-A is just as evil, and indefensible as the persecutions of homosexuals throughout history.

I'm not sure how to feel about this...you equate the harm of enforcing ideological projects over choice via state power, and then say you oppose gay marriage because of your personal religious views...how can you entertain the belief that one is "evil" and then outwardly practice the other?
I oppose gay marriage, but I have no more of a right to force my views on gays than they do on me. The Mayor of Boston does not have the right (legally, as well as theoretically) to ban Chic-fil-A, and I don't have a right to ban gay marriage. 

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 03:04:48 PM »

God, how I hate the Baptist Church.
Baptists have been corrupted like the Tea Party...Baptists once believed in religious freedom. They once believed in more than tolerance-they believed in full blown love and acceptance. They once believed that every person is made in God's image, and thus, homosexuality is perfectly fine.

I went back to Church today, for the first time in a few months, and was actually invited to join (despite that fact that I don't even live in the same county) and I must say, all opposition to gay marriage I had just yesterday was and is wrong. The point that won me over:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wish other Christian churches would take up the old Baptist beliefs that are still practiced at my church. This still does not change my opinion on the Chick-fil-A debacle, of course. I still think they have a right to their opinion, just as I have mine (which is now the opposite of theirs), and that the outrage is uncalled for.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »

How is supporting traditional values homophobic? I'm sick of seeing that term thrown around and misused so often. Supporting 1 man 1 woman marriage =/= hating the gays. Get over it.

Don't be a dumb. For a same-sex couple that wants to get married, being told that they can't and that it's not because opponents "hate the gay" is bullsh**t. It really does mean that those people hate the life that gay men and women lead and don't want their commitment to be official before the law, which means yes, "hating the gay". I at least have some respect for opponents of same-sex marriage who are upfront about it and say it's because they hate gay people. None for opponents who say they don't hate gay people, and civil unions are "good enough" or some dumb sh**t like that.
What I think many people do not understand is the fact that some people interpret their faith as saying its wrong. Hell, I thought same sex marriage was wrong until last Sunday, and it is in the Bible, no doubt about it. My faith is much more important to me than whether or not homosexuals have their rights.

In the Bible, it does clearly condemn homosexual marriage. It also clearly says that we are made in Gods image. And scissors cuts paper. Thus, in my opinion, homosexuality is reconciled with Christianity, with God’s law being more important than ancient Israeli old testament beliefs. But, some Christians disagree with me on this. Some do believe that the Old Testament is important as a stepping stone for the Gospel. That does not make them hateful. I think some gay rights activists are hateful. I think they downright hate Christians just because a bunch of closeted Catholic bishops and radical Southern Baptists and Pentecostals claim to represent Christianity and “family values”. If “family values” automatically is “hate”, than it would be equally logical to say that aids is to be totally blamed on homosexuals-which is an incredibly illogical and stupid statement.

Opponents of gay marriage look at gay marriage the way gays look at it. They feel it should be prevented on religious grounds as much as gays feel it should be pushed through on civil rights grounds. Yes, it is true that the Rick Santorums and Mike Huckabees of the world condemn gay rights only to turn around and say “oh no, were being discriminated against for our Christian faith” and what have you, but the people on the “family values” side of the issue are just as well intentioned as those who are on the side of gay marriage.

Again, I believe that gay marriage can be reconciled with Christianity (IE-The Gospel, not the Old Testament),so I am on the side of those who seek marriage equality in the state of Florida (marriage is entirely a state by state issue), but too condemn those who support family values as homophobes is just as bad as to condemn homosexuals for their lifestyle. Both sides of the issue are right, and both are wrong, in many, many ways. That is why this issue is one of the most needlessly passionate and distracting issues in American politics.   
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »

I think KFC is way overrated. The biscuits are to die for though.
Blasphemy!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies