Official Chick-fil-A Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:07:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33452 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
« edited: July 27, 2012, 07:54:03 PM by True Federalist »

Unless of course, the people of Boston like Spicy Chicken.

If they do, they ought to find another restaurant.  Were you perhaps thinking of Bojangles?  Chick-fil-A may have recently added a spicy version, but it's not their main thing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »

If I boycotted every business where I disagreed with the political views of those in charge, I might have to kill for my own food.

I really don't care what businesses think, short of "Hey, let's overthrow the republic."

I take it you don't eat at either Burger King or Dairy Queen then.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »

I think boycotting a company that donates millions to organisations that funds 'ex-gay' shams is a sensible thing to do if you have 21st Century sensibilities.

This is sensible, but what Chicago is doing is quite different. If a person has an offensive position and another person disagrees a boycott is an acceptable means of protest against their organization. If a person has an offensive position and government official chooses to discriminate against their organization on a neutral matter like zoning or subdivision that is not an acceptable form of protest.

Dude, its not 'protest', it is the democratic process.  The people, through their elected representatives, don't want him to sell his chicken in their community.  This is precisely the converse of the fashion by which the rich have a voice (through their money, paying for media), while the poor are silenced.  Here, the Commons act to counter the overweaning power of a money-elite.

One thing I like about you opebo is you don't even bother with consistency.  After all, I presume you don't intend to stop complaining about your worries that the Thai people, through their elected representatives, will decide they no longer want to sell their girls in their communities.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

Romney probably would eat at Chick-fil-A.  After all, Mr. Etch-a-Sketch should like Waffle Fries.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »

You appear to be restricting American values to the definition 'success in the free market'. I don't think that's all that American values are. I think they're other things as well.

Bear in mind that the particular chain of 'restaurants' we're talking about operates primarily (although not exclusively) in geographical areas and along cultural lines where these sorts of shenanigans help them. Others don't.

Why the scare quotes around restaurants?  Whatever you might think of the ownership's political opinions, Chick-fil-A is most definitely a restaurant chain, albeit one that has always operated with a conservative Christian viewpoint, which is most emblematic in its refusal to be open on Sundays.  [Not that they have absolutely no one there on such days. When I drove by one two days ago, the parking lot was getting a power-washing while the restaurant was closed for the Christian sabbath.]
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »

I don't recall actually wishing anything on someone, but hey, that's your own interpretation.

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley

Oh I shall. Seeing is believing. I thank you for mobilizing the people.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/45-photos-of-insanely-long-lines-for-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day/article/2503792&rct=j&sa=X&ei=M7YZUOf7M7LF0AGM-ICAAw&ved=0CGUQ-AsoATAI&q=chick+fil+a&usg=AFQjCNFtfnr0xnXsn3zIjrOMXoA4Eg84Dg

Photos?  That's all you have?  Meaningless.

I suppose I can understand why you don't like reading the numbers, though.  Math teachers are bad, right?

But really, even if the boycotts were meaningless, what does that say?  I could put a huge swastika sign outside of a McDonalds, and people would still eat there.  People tend to think with their stomachs, not with their values.  And you don't have to drive around much to see that.  

So the fact that there's a national 'Stuff Your Face' Day for means of political protest isn't very surprising.

Since when did you start using clarence's image collection?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

A bunch of buffed up gays should hit the joint and hold hands together, and maybe kiss a few times for emphasis. They should select as their fare whatever is the loss leader offering of the day while doing it.

Chick-fil-A doesn't typically engage in loss leader marketing.  The closest they come to that is with the coupons in their annual cow calendar, which you have to buy.

If gays want to have a really weird Chick-fil-A protest, they need to camp out at one of the new store openings with rainbow tents and get the coupons for lots of free food given out to the first 100 customers.  Having 100 obvious LGBTers get the vouchers would definitely raise a few eyebrows.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Roll Eyes

Chick-fil-A is a chain restaurant that operates mainly in the U.S whose signature product is a CHICKen FILET sandwich.  The CEO and principle owner made remarks that were against same-sex marriage and a couple of northern politicos made noises about preventing the restaurant from opening up locations in their fair cities. Predictable salvoes from both right and left have ensued.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »

In particular, the fact that Texas just executed a mentally retarded man, and the courts didn't do anything, and the fact that we are not doing anything about our prison overcrowding.

The Texas prison population just got smaller by one. Wink

More seriously, it's way past time to demilitarize the war on drugs.  We have a war on cancer yet we don't lock up people with lymphoma.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies