Why TOTUS? To stop Obama from saying the things he really believes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why TOTUS? To stop Obama from saying the things he really believes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why TOTUS? To stop Obama from saying the things he really believes  (Read 3949 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is why his handlers cringe every time he tries to speak extemporaneously or when, even with TOTUS there to tell him what to say, he "goes rogue" and starts thinking he knows something.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2012, 01:07:37 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I'm sure Romney doesn't need strategies like this, because he never makes gaffes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »

WTF is TOTUS?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »

The T is for teleprompter and the OTUS is because in America, everything is called OTUS.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

The T is for teleprompter and the OTUS is because in America, everything is called OTUS.

I've always been bemused by this idea on the right that politicians who are not Obama are brilliant extemporaneous speakers who give public remarks off the tops of their heads. The only difference between Obama and every previous president is that Obama employs slightly higher technology to keep track of his speeches.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »

I have no idea what this comment even was, but this looks like some pretty solid and swift damage control from the Obama campaign.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »

I have no idea what this comment even was, but this looks like some pretty solid and swift damage control from the Obama campaign.

It wasn't anything. WhyteRain is a troll.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »

What is with the Republican wet dream of Obama being too stupid to memorize speeches or say anything without a TelePrompter? I guess they'll learn after the debates.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »

That's hilarious.  I'm a "troll" because I reveal a gaffe -- "not anything" says mondale84! -- that is so huge that the Obama campaign felt it had to run an ad featuring Dear Leader himself.  See it here; this time he's saying what TOTUS tells him to say:

Unreality has a liberal bias.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 09:54:51 AM by WhyteRain »

What is with the Republican wet dream of Obama being too stupid to memorize speeches or say anything without a TelePrompter? I guess they'll learn after the debates.

I could fill a comment page with real-life examples of Obama being too stupid to memorize speeches or avoid saying idiotic things without TOTUS.

But even I couldn't find as many as his handlers could.  That's why where previous presidents used Teleprompters almost exclusively for important addresses to the nation, where every word was crucial, Obama's handlers force him to use TOTUS for even ordinary presidential announcements.

If you want to watch Sarah Palin give a speech after a teleprompter failure, go look at her acceptance speech at the 2008 GOP convention.  And the written copy of it that they gave her was three versions behind.

[modify:]  Unlike most Palin fans, I don't think the speech she gave at the GOP convention was good at all.  But she delivered it like a champion.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »

Wait, I don't understand, are you actually being insulting or do you actually think Obama's "stupid"? Huh I mean, I get that you don't like the guy (for, uh, various reasons) but you don't become President of the Harvard Law Review and graduate magna cum laude if you're an idiot.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »

It "wasn't anything", eh?  So I'm a troll for thinking it was?  Hell, then the Obama campaign is all trolls -- LOL!

(Emphasis added.)

I told y'all when this gaffe first erupted that it was a turning point in the election campaign.  I guess no matter how many top Obama handlers agree, I'm still a "troll".  :-)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 10:35:54 AM by WhyteRain »

Wait, I don't understand, are you actually being insulting or do you actually think Obama's "stupid"? Huh I mean, I get that you don't like the guy (for, uh, various reasons) but you don't become President of the Harvard Law Review and graduate magna cum laude if you're an idiot.

I think he believes stupid things and as a consequence he says stupid things -- the things he actually believes -- when TOTUS isn't there to stop him.  (Oftentimes, when he "goes rogue" he does say factually incorrect things, which is a sign of ignorance more than stupidity, I'd say.)

Does that mean I think he's stupid?  I've always thought that he shows, like a lot of college faculty, a combination of ignorance and arrogance that is dangerous.  Compare him with, say, former-Pres. Clinton.  Very few people would claim that Clinton is humble, but neither would many say he is ignorant.  True, as President the man couldn't get out of bed in the morning before making at least two false statements but, unlike Obama, you never got the sense that he really thought they were true.

[modify:]  Also, regarding the Harvard Law Review, don't get confused between the positions of "president" and "editor".  The "president" is a figurehead, nothing else, while an "editor" is a "really sharp law student".

Regarding anything else that happened at Harvard, I don't know enough to comment because Obama won't release his records.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »

Obama isn't an idiot, WhyteRain is an idiot.

Oh and let me bold that for effect:

WhyteRain is an idiot.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »

I think it's time for the Great Nym to arrange a meeting between his hammer and White Rain.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »

[modify:]  Also, regarding the Harvard Law Review, don't get confused between the positions of "president" and "editor".  The "president" is a figurehead, nothing else, while an "editor" is a "really sharp law student".

Regarding anything else that happened at Harvard, I don't know enough to comment because Obama won't release his records.

For one, he was the Editor of the Harvard Law Review, you can't say Romney ever achieved that.

And secondly, why do you need his college records from 30 years ago? He's already been vetted. There's nothing in there but his grades. He got there on his own. There was no rich former Governor of Michigan or CEO of American Motors to help him get in, unlike someone else we know.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »

Is ajc0918 purposely looking for an infraction?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

The fact that this DELIBERATE and willful misinterpretation has been the focal point of the Romney campaign for the last week shows just how desperate they are.

You know damn well what the president was saying.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »

He said a blatant truth. Sometimes it can be intractable Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »

He said a blatant truth. Sometimes it can be intractable Tongue

But my point is, personal insults about another poster are verboten, and he called another poster an idiot, not only that, he emphasized it in large print.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2012, 08:49:08 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

The fact that this DELIBERATE and willful misinterpretation has been the focal point of the Romney campaign for the last week shows just how desperate they are.

Ya wanna talk desperate?  I'll tell ya what's desperate.  Bain and taxes are desperate.  The reason, and the ONLY reason for harping on Bain and taxes is an attempt by Obama and his truth twisters to distract attention away from the very obvious fact that Obama is completely in over his head in dealing with the disastrous state of the U.S. economy.  

Ya wanna talk bout the the last week.  How bout we talk bout the last three months with the Bain and taxes smoke screen nonsense.    
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »

Ya wanna talk desperate?  I'll tell ya what's desperate.  Bain and taxes are desperate.  The reason, and the ONLY reason for harping on Bain and taxes is an attempt by Obama and his truth twisters to distract attention away from the very obvious fact that Obama is completely in over his head in dealing with the disastrous state of the U.S. economy.  

Ya wanna talk bout the the last week.  How bout we talk bout the last three months with the Bain and taxes smoke screen nonsense.    

The Bain record IS what Romney points to as his justification for running, (since we can't talk about MA) so yes, that is fair game. As for the tax thing, Romney made that far worse for himself than anything the Obama campaign has done. If Bain made money by shifting jobs offshore? How is that not a reasonable issue to raise, it's not like Romney has ever denied that occured, and if filling out SEC forms (legal documents btw) is just a matter of technicality, it doesn't say a lot... and that is fair game.

The "you didn't build it" furore has NO baring on the reality of the context. Romney is DELIBERATELY blurring the context to get back on the flawed message that Obama is anti-business.

One is a legitimate line of questioning, albeit one that could have been settled by Romney having a competent campaign staff behind him, the other is a deliberate attempt to misquote and misinterpret.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

Both John King and David Gergen have stated that the Democrats have in fact not told the truth about the length of time Romney spent at Bain.

Nobody has any proof whatsoever of any wrongdoing by Romney with his taxes.  It wouldn't matter in the least what tax records showed.  They would show absolutely nothing wrong, however, Obama and his henchmen would take all this data and find something that they could twist and turn in order to confuse people about Romney's taxes.

Bottom line, smoke screen.

Underlined bottom line, smoke screen because Obama really has no clue what to do about the economy.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »

Both John King and David Gergen have stated that the Democrats have in fact not told the truth about the length of time Romney spent at Bain.

Nobody has any proof whatsoever of any wrongdoing by Romney with his taxes.  It wouldn't matter in the least what tax records showed.  They would show absolutely nothing wrong, however, Obama and his henchmen would take all this data and find something that they could twist and turn in order to confuse people about Romney's taxes.

Bottom line, smoke screen.

Underlined bottom line, smoke screen because Obama really has no clue what to do about the economy.

I think you'd have found a lot of people who, if Romney released his tax returns and assuming there was nothing illegal (which I doubt there is) or potentially unethical or irregular, would say it's time to let it go.

That's the big problem, which shows how politically tone-deaf and glass jawed his campaign is. They could have been the ones to control the cycle to addressing issues head on, without waffling and stupid lines about 'retroactive retirement'. But instead, Obama is able to suggest that Romney is breaking a precedent set by his own father because of something he doesn't want people to see.

The capacity of whatever tax/Bain attacks to impact on Romney is down his own campaign's incompetence.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 10:58:02 PM »

A bit off topic, but I just love how peoples' political views are completely hijacking their perception of the economy. So some of you conservatives call the economy "disastrous" or "a total wreck." Ok, you definitely have evidence to support that, but would you be saying the same thing if a Republican was in office, or are you just spouting this off because it's "Obama's economy"?

For god's sake, we're adding jobs every month. Does anybody remember how many we were losing in 2008-2009?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies