Thai populist subsidies prices Thai rice out of competition, Thai farmers suffer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:20:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Thai populist subsidies prices Thai rice out of competition, Thai farmers suffer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thai populist subsidies prices Thai rice out of competition, Thai farmers suffer  (Read 941 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20120726-361477.html

Oh, the Thaksinites. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Pheu Thai Party (successor to Thai Rak Thai) decided on a populist policy of subsidizing rice to better pay the rice-growers, heedlessly ignoring warnings that that policy would price Thai rice out of competition.  As a result, for the first time in 100 years, Thailand is no longer the #1 rice exporter in the world, falling behind India and possibly Vietnam.  Coupled with last year's flooding, this makes for two years in a row of subpar rice sales and a bunch of broke farmers all over Thailand.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »

We can only hope they are removed from power somehow.  I don't care about the rice, but I do care about certain of their other policy tendencies (anti-fun).
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »

Screw fun. It's boring as hell.

Agricultural subsidies are incredibly hard to get right, and Pheu Thai doesn't seem to have any idea what it's doing here.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »

Thaksinites: Way to screw the agricultural sector dumbasses.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »

Perhaps, but the key is it is less boring than everything else.

Right now the rubes are riding high in high politics, one can only hope they will soon get a proper comeuppance.  The old man still lives and as far as anyone can tell he's in better health than he was a couple of years ago.  
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »

Yes, a good way to reduce exports is for the government to pay you more for a product than you can get exporting it. Who knew? 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »

Oh man. I wonder how this will be spun by the Thaksin defenders who kept insisting the opposition* was fascist.

*Something I noticed a couple weeks ago is that the US Democratic Party and Thai Democrat Party share something else in common besides a similar name: Both belong to the same international affiliation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »

Oh man. I wonder how this will be spun by the Thaksin defenders who kept insisting the opposition* was fascist.

*Something I noticed a couple weeks ago is that the US Democratic Party and Thai Democrat Party share something else in common besides a similar name: Both belong to the same international affiliation.

Yeah they're both standard liberal parties - liberal in the European sense.  In Thailand liberalism and social tolerance generally militates towards a somewhat anti-democratic stance, hence the friendly relationship between the Democrat party here and the monarchy and army. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

So, if I get your logic right it works like this:

Party A supports state intervention in markets.

Party B opposes Party A.

Hence, Party B cannot be fascist.

Surely, your above post is incredibly stupid even by your standards?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »

No I'm just saying this illustrates why the opposition are better.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »

That's not what you said. You said that this somehow would prove the opposition not to be fascist. Which is retarded. Of course, both sides in Thai politics are bad. No one ever contested that.

It's also amusing that you are suddenly such a free-marketer. One might almost think that your enthusiastic support for the Thai reactionaries was not based on any ideological analysis.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 01:54:04 PM by The Mikado »

That's not what you said. You said that this somehow would prove the opposition not to be fascist. Which is retarded. Of course, both sides in Thai politics are bad. No one ever contested that.

It's also amusing that you are suddenly such a free-marketer. One might almost think that your enthusiastic support for the Thai reactionaries was not based on any ideological analysis.

What Gustaf said.  It's one thing to recognize that Thaksin was a huckster and a con artist who sold the Thai people a bill of goods and that Thaksin's followers are demagogues who would be wiling to drive their country into the ground while trying to appeal to populist concerns, but isn't democracy fundamentally all about the right of people to put in a government of demagogues?  If the Democrats want to retake power in Thailand, the answer is obvious: get out there in the rice paddies and steal Thai Rak Thai and its successors' electioneering tactics rather than sneering at them from Bangkok and overthrowing the government every two years.

EDIT:  Until that happens, expect Thai politics to continue in its ridiculous vicious cycle.

1.  People elect Thaksinites, they horrify the establishment with their complete lack of knowledge about...well...anything
2.  Military overthrows civilian government
3.  Military allows civilian government back under the condition they don't elect Thaksinites.
4.  People elect Thaksinites.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »

...but isn't democracy fundamentally all about the right of people to put in a government of demagogues?

Yes of course, and thus, I prefer other certain other systems over democracy.    

If the Democrats want to retake power in Thailand, the answer is obvious: get out there in the rice paddies and steal Thai Rak Thai and its successors' electioneering tactics rather than sneering at them from Bangkok and overthrowing the government every two years.

No, the point is they want good governance- not the populist train wreck that would be required to be elected democratically.  So, the way they have been doing it is better in context - so far.  I don't deny that the downward spiral into mass rule seems to be in the cards - after all every other ancien régime has fallen - but not yet.  In Thailand, not yet. 

1.  People elect Thaksinites, they horrify the establishment with their complete lack of knowledge about...well...anything
2.  Military overthrows civilian government
3.  Military allows civilian government back under the condition they don't elect Thaksinites.
4.  People elect Thaksinites.

We can only hope!  I mean that the step 2 can continue to be repeated (subsequent elimination of step 3 is apparently too much to hope for) forever.  Alas, that which saves us here is hundreds of years old, and I fear, will one day soon succumb as well- it is like trying to hold back dynamite with a lace curtain.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies