DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:10:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank  (Read 2941 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

Because I believe "marriage" should be between a man and a woman; a considerable portion of our party agrees with me on that and they are being alienated with this choice.

I got that.  I'm asking you why you hold that belief when it comes to civil marriage law.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »

Because I believe "marriage" should be between a man and a woman; a considerable portion of our party agrees with me on that and they are being alienated with this choice.

I understand your religious argument, but does that mean that atheists can't get married because they don't believe in the bible, that's a sin. Or liars can't get married because lieing is also a sin. Maybe Jews shouldn't be able to get married because they don't think Vhrist was the son of God.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »

It's a sad day for this once noble party. This wouldn't fly in the Democrat party of my grandma and other New Dealers. It wouldnt fly in the vein of my idealogical ancestry of the Bourben wing of the party led by Grover Cleveland. I'm also sure Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Andrew Jackson would flip out on the Democrats of today(they'd flip out of a few Republicans too but not on the Paul wing).

GOP: stand your ground regarding traditional marriage. You are on the right side of history and eternity.
Oh, and Jefferson, Jackson, and Cleveland were bastions of moral values
Jefferson: owned slaves
Jackson: started the trail of tears
Cleveland: had an affair which produced a child.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »

And Jefferson regretted owning slaves. Do I recgonize that Jackson blew a golden opprotunity regarding the First Nations? He blew a huge chance on bringing the Indians into a proper alliance. Now I recgonize Cleveland did have the affair but he did right by the child.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »

And Jefferson regretted owning slaves. Do I recgonize that Jackson blew a golden opprotunity regarding the First Nations? He blew a huge chance on bringing the Indians into a proper alliance. Now I recgonize Cleveland did have the affair but he did right by the child.

You're entirely right about Cleveland, who owned up to it and by all accounts was otherwise upstanding, but Jefferson was a disgusting hypocrite and Jackson...uh, 'blew a golden opportunity' is far from the worst you can say about his interior policies.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »

Not quite.  Cleveland was unmarried and Maria Crofts Halpin was a widow who was involved with several men, of whom Cleveland was the only bachelor and thus the only one in a position to admit anything.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »

Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries.

Considering how the twentieth century turned out, don't you think it might be better to find a better argument than that?

The way Positivism and Whiggery rear their heads over and over again is the best refutation of their own idea that humanity inevitably discards old bad ideas and embraces glorious new ones.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »

If anyone was planning on voting for Obama and now isn't because of this, then I'm glad we weeded them out.  We can win without relying on bigots.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »

How bold...
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:54 AM »

This is great, although they're several years late on this, but better late than never I suppose.

It'll be interesting to see if the Democrats deliver on this new platform. Is this an election year gimmick or will the party wholeheartedly embrace the issue and fight for it?

And for all the Democrats out there who are still uncomfortable. I understand how you feel, it's a tough issue. But if we're going to be the party fighting for equal rights and opportunities, it has to be for all people. It's a matter of principle.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:23 AM »

I am very glad to see this and not just because I count myself as LGBT.  Honestly, from the 1960s on almost any major advance in civil rights has had to come through the Democratic Party (outside of the Courts).  It is one of the reason why I remain in the party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 01:52:49 AM »

Oh, you, Democratic Party... switching positions when its popular, not on principle.

Now, don't get me wrong, its the right way to go, absolutely. It's just that the party didn't have the balls to stand up for it years ago in order, when it was the right thing to do.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »

Oh, you, Democratic Party... switching positions when its popular, not on principle.

Now, don't get me wrong, its the right way to go, absolutely. It's just that the party didn't have the balls to stand up for it years ago in order, when it was the right thing to do.

Not that I would ever defend the lack of such language in the 2008 DNC platform, but for a national party to embrace something that was illegal throughout the entire country less than ten years ago suggests real progress from a long-term perspective.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 06:49:54 AM »

We could only switch once enough of our members came around.  The platform could be voted down if it's too far ahead of the people.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 08:31:22 AM »

Not quite.  Cleveland was unmarried and Maria Crofts Halpin was a widow who was involved with several men, of whom Cleveland was the only bachelor and thus the only one in a position to admit anything.
Forgot about that. Never mind. That was okay, but the other two still stand.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »

June 2012

Do you think marriages between gay and lesbian couples should or should not be recognized by the
law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages? (Democrats only)

Should 70%
Should not 28%

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/06/06/rel5e.pdf
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »

The way Positivism and Whiggery rear their heads over and over again is the best refutation of their own idea that humanity inevitably discards old bad ideas and embraces glorious new ones.

Post of the week.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »

Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries.

Considering how the twentieth century turned out, don't you think it might be better to find a better argument than that?

Well, that's a clever retort and all, but don't you think it is a bit of a leap to blame the undesirable events of the twentieth century on some ostensible change in morality?

Seems to me it was almost entirely a matter of better killing technology.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »

If anyone was planning on voting for Obama and now isn't because of this, then I'm glad we weeded them out.  We can win without relying on bigots.

Yet a sizable portion of the American public is more outraged by boys kissing than it is by insurance companies having the right to refuse coverage for preexisting conditions.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »

They've already left. The actual platform doesn't matter and hasn't mattered since 1948.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »

Well, that's a clever retort and all, but don't you think it is a bit of a leap to blame the undesirable events of the twentieth century on some ostensible change in morality?

It would be, but I'm not doing that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies