In Kansas, Conservatives Vilify Fellow Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:23:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Kansas, Conservatives Vilify Fellow Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Kansas, Conservatives Vilify Fellow Republicans  (Read 2319 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:39 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/us/in-kansas-primaries-conservatives-attack-fellow-republicans.html

What do you think about this? 1%ers primarying theocratic Republicans for not being fiscally conservative enough or something else?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:41:32 AM »

I think this is related to the major tax cuts Oklahoma and Kansas conservatives were aiming for. It looks like some of the more moderate/less conservative Republicans in these states prevented that from happening.

Maybe it was the most regressive passed, but it's not the most regressive on the books (no income tax) which is what they were aiming for:

http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/kansas-and-oklahoma-income-tax-cuts-wont-reach-zero-85899389000

Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »

Read more at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/us/in-kansas-primaries-conservatives-attack-fellow-republicans.html

What do you think about this? 1%ers primarying theocratic Republicans for not being fiscally conservative enough or something else?

You act as though this is something new.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:39:04 AM »

I guess I was just surprised at the matter of degree and that a state like Kansas still had any semblance of a moderate branch for its Republican party.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »

It's funny how I could tell this was going to be a New York Times story by the fact that it starts with the phrase "In [place name],"
BigSkyBob

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »

Somehow, I suspect that if the story were about primaries to the Democratic State Senators in New York whom refused to support the Leader candidate chosen by the caucus in favor of a coalition with the GOP I doubt the headline would be, "In New York, Liberals Vilify Fellow Democrats." I suspect the title would revolve around ideas of righteous indignation.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

Somehow, I suspect that if the story were about primaries to the Democratic State Senators in New York whom refused to support the Leader candidate chosen by the caucus in favor of a coalition with the GOP I doubt the headline would be, "In New York, Liberals Vilify Fellow Democrats." I suspect the title would revolve around ideas of righteous indignation.

The difference is that your side is full of wackjobs who say crazy things and demand their right to "reload" and not to retreat. Liberals don't threaten to kill people...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »

I guess I was just surprised at the matter of degree and that a state like Kansas still had any semblance of a moderate branch for its Republican party.

The Kansas GOP has always been at way between its more business oriented section and its more church going section. With former claiming the title of "moderate" in this struggle. Now with issues of finance dominating and abortion/evolution knocked down a peg or two, they can shuffle the labeling deck in the media.

I would strongly advise against using the term moderate to describe any of these people. They are probably similar on 95% of all the issues.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 09:08:19 PM by greenforest32 »

Looks like they were successful in the primaries: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/conservative-takeover-in-kansas-just-the-beginning/2012/08/08/bd27ddd8-e163-11e1-98e7-89d659f9c106_blog.html

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »

Generally - yes. They won about 80% of all races. But with Bwownback's support and financial assistance they had from numerous conservative PACs - that could be expected. In addition - the Republican primary electorate in most states (except some North-Eastern, but even there - somewhat more conservative then in the past) is not even conservative, but outright very right wing. So - it's more surprising that some moderates still managed to win and some new were elected. But generally - yes. May be that will lead to election of somewhat more Democrats..
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »

The Kansas GOP has always been at way between its more business oriented section and its more church going section. With former claiming the title of "moderate" in this struggle. Now with issues of finance dominating and abortion/evolution knocked down a peg or two, they can shuffle the labeling deck in the media.

I would strongly advise against using the term moderate to describe any of these people. They are probably similar on 95% of all the issues.

They are very similar in their desired goals. The moderate tag more often refers to their desire to reach those goals in a more cautious and sustainable manner.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »

So, all the talk about how the Democrats are going to win seats because the "conservative" won the primary is so much poppycock? If in the last analysis the "conservative" and the "moderate" candidate are 95% alike, then they ought to poll amazingly similarly. Unless, of course, that 5% is weighted differently among various voters. The decision of the "moderates" to throw in with the Democrats, whom certainly aren't anywhere near 95% alike with "moderate Republicans," seems to suggest the real differences are either much greater, or they subjectively weigh their differences much more than 5%.

In any case, I am entirely comfortable preferring a nominee that is 100% in agreement with me over a candidate that is 95% in agreement with me.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2012, 08:13:18 PM by greenforest32 »

Something similar is happening in Alaska: http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/in-alaska-bipartisanship-on-the-ballot-85899413283

BigSkyBob

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

Two of the turncoats voted out in Republican primary:

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/19960567-Menard-Wagoner-upset-in-GOP-primaries

greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »

I wonder if two will be enough to end the coalition? The Kansas primaries were more definitive.

There's also redistricting to consider. I'm not sure if the new maps have shifted the field around much in Alaska. It's kind of hard to find redistricting info on state maps.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 03:45:41 AM »

We have no income taxes and no sales tax. And every election, the Democrat and the Republican candidates essentially pledge to keep it as such.

If Kansas Republicans think that's the way to go, all the power to them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies