Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?  (Read 10371 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »

Different priorities, money, from less-homophobic GOP areas, etc.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »

Many homosexuals vote Republican when LGBT rights is not their #1 priority in politics.

Oh yeah?
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2012, 11:41:03 AM by Redalgo »

Many homosexuals vote Republican when LGBT rights is not their #1 priority in politics.

Oh yeah?

Sure, why not? I didn't say a majority or even a particularly impressive minority of them do.

If someone's political convictions have a lot more in common with GOP planks than those of the Democrats, with LGBT issues being one of the few exceptions, why would they want to vote in opposition to the bulk of their political goals? Furthermore, it would not surprise me if a certain fraction of homosexuals were socially conservative on account of their environs and/or genetic inclinations, and eventually reconciled some of their ensuing internal conflicts by becoming a bit ashamed of their sexual orientation, or otherwise settling for a pro-LGBT rights attitude less thorough or robust than that one would expect from social liberals.

In a sense, what I'm trying to get at is that the condition of being heterosexual, homosexual, or otherwise doesn't have to wholly define who an individual is or what they strive for in the realm of politics any more than nationality, race, age, or other affixed statuses do. Folks are defined by a lot more than their sexual preferences, and so demographic trends in voting should not be confused with a solid predisposition for people of group A to monolithically support political faction B.

Not that I want to put words into your mouth, of course, it's just hard to reply to two words. xP

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Win32
Rookie
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

Where's the mystery?

Some may not be practicing. Others may be practicing, but not care about gay marriage and the like. Still others may care somewhat about gay-rights issues, but find other issues rather more important (especially if, like many gay people, they have no real interest in entering into any kind of marital union themselves).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »

It might be easier to just go on Gay Patriot and ask them.
You don't ask Republicans why they vote the way they do. That's just silly. It takes out all the fun of dreaming up bizarre and condescending theories about their motivations.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

You don't ask Republicans why they vote the way they do. That's just silly. It takes out all the fun of dreaming up bizarre and condescending theories about their motivations.

Most people don't really analyze why they vote the way they do. Self-reflection is not big among contemporary America.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »

"Patriot" has basically become in Political Science what "Special" has become in Education.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »

logcabin.org
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »

The 2010 exit polls showed that 1/3 of voting gays (31% to be exact) voted Republican, compared to 27% in 2008. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44743.html

Maybe, just maybe, and I know this is crazy but hear me out... gays are actually individual people with their own political thoughts besides one single issue. Maybe not all gays are stero-typical effeminate hippie pofters. Maybe some of them cares strongly about defense, maybe some gays like guns, maybe some gays even care about the economy without subscribing to an Social Democratic agenda.      

This is the reason that most gay conservatives I know vote Republican, and I've yet to meet anyone say they do it beause they "self-loathe," though, who would say that? Both sides have played politics with gays for years, so at some point, they start looking at their economic self-interest. When you include the fact that gays are better off financially than the general public at large, you have your answer to how nearly a third identify as Republican.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »

The 2010 exit polls showed that 1/3 of voting gays (31% to be exact) voted Republican, compared to 27% in 2008. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44743.html

Maybe, just maybe, and I know this is crazy but hear me out... gays are actually individual people with their own political thoughts besides one single issue. Maybe not all gays are stero-typical effeminate hippie pofters. Maybe some of them cares strongly about defense, maybe some gays like guns, maybe some gays even care about the economy without subscribing to an Social Democratic agenda.      

This is the reason that most gay conservatives I know vote Republican, and I've yet to meet anyone say they do it beause they "self-loathe," though, who would say that? Both sides have played politics with gays for years, so at some point, they start looking at their economic self-interest. When you include the fact that gays are better off financially than the general public at large, you have your answer to how nearly a third identify as Republican.

I think that you may have stumbled onto the truth. Plus, sad to say, a non-negligible number of gays tend to be racist (which also sad to say, very sad, has a positive correlation with being a Pub). For some, there is a narcissism streak, and they prefer folks that look just like themselves.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »

When you include the fact that gays are better off financially than the general public at large, you have your answer to how nearly a third identify as Republican.

But I thought rich people were Democrats and liberal elites these days. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »

A third of voting gays voted for Republicans in a Republican wave election. I'm not disputing the rest of MorningInAmerica's point; I'm just disputing that that constitutes 'nearly a third identify[ing] as Republican'.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »

A third of voting gays voted for Republicans in a Republican wave election. I'm not disputing the rest of MorningInAmerica's point; I'm just disputing that that constitutes 'nearly a third identify[ing] as Republican'.

Right. It was 31% in 2010, less than that in 2008, and substantially less in '04.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »

Will the gays snap back to 2004 levels in this election thanks to Obama evolution?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »

What Swedish Cheese said.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

Will the gays snap back to 2004 levels in this election thanks to Obama evolution?

Quite probably back, quite possibly by quite a bit, although not, I think all the way back. 2004 levels had a lot to do with the Bush-Rove campaigning style in that year.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »

I expect something like 2008. Republican gays feel safe voting for their nominee, and that's the major factor.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »

It would be cool if someone with a lot of interaction with GOP gays could comment with anecdotal reports!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »

It would be cool if someone with a lot of interaction with GOP gays could comment with anecdotal reports!

About what? I have one friend from high school who is independently wealthy and secular Jewish who sounds like a Tea Partier on FB and is upset that all these gays he knows are falling for Obama's lies. He claimed to have voted for Obama last time. Another one I know is just a very nice guy from the South who has always been Republican and is happily voting for Romney. In 2008 you had a lot of Republicans decide Obama was ok to vote for. A lot fewer feel that way now, at least at this time of year. I expect them to either vote for Romney or sit the election out.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »

Cue the opening of The Apprentice.

It's not that a lot of them don't know what they're doing is wrong, it's just ... you know, money is more important sometimes. And Iraq too whatever we guess, old news.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »

Oh, I will say this: I feel like this election will help solidify gay voters around democrats by a margin similar to their numbers with blacks. It's just that much harder to justify being a Republican when you can't just say "ah, both sides suck when it comes to gay rights."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »

Cue the opening of The Apprentice.

It's not that a lot of them don't know what they're doing is wrong, it's just ... you know, money is more important sometimes. And Iraq too whatever we guess, old news.
Gay Republicans are immoral because they are greedy and something about Iraq Huh
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »

Oh, I will say this: I feel like this election will help solidify gay voters around democrats by a margin similar to their numbers with blacks.

So you honestly believe gays will go from voting 31% GOP 2 yrs ago to voting about 5% GOP (which is about what McCain got from blacks in '08) this November?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »

Oh, I will say this: I feel like this election will help solidify gay voters around democrats by a margin similar to their numbers with blacks. It's just that much harder to justify being a Republican when you can't just say "ah, both sides suck when it comes to gay rights."

Simply because Obama came out for gay marriage as an obvious political tactic, which is a state issue in any event?  I think you may be selling gays short myself. I would like to think they are more serious than that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies