Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:19:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?  (Read 10477 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: July 30, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »

Humans are complex. Homos come in all shapes and colors.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 11:06:59 AM by Torie »

Just to add one thought to this most energetic thread, an un-closeted gay Pub can do a lot to change hearts and minds within his party, simply by being himself. So to demonize such folks as having their values all screwed up or something, ignores the potential good such people can achieve. On sexuality matters, personal anecdotal experience counts for a lot in my experience.

It should also be borne in mind, that about a third of the Pubs support gay marriage these days - a figure that is slowly going up.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

I just looked around opebo, and didn't notice I was sitting in a palace, surrounded by guards and servants. What happened?  Where the F are they? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »

I just looked around opebo, and didn't notice I was sitting in a palace, surrounded by guards and servants. What happened?  Where the F are they? 

Torie, you not really all that rich, are you?

You are the one that put me in the super rich oppressor class, not I opebo.  I was just going along with your ride as a passenger is all.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »

You are the one that put me in the super rich oppressor class, not I opebo.  I was just going along with your ride as a passenger is all.

It is a rhetorical device of course, and after all you and all the right-wingers on here are apologists for that class, whether members or not.  Anyway I suspect you could have a houseboy if you liked.

Wait, what happened to the hoard of browns Torie employs then gets high with?  

Yes, I am very fond of browns, Grumps. They know how to have a good time in general.  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »

Wait, what happened to the hoard of browns Torie employs then gets high with?  

Yes, I am very fond of browns, Grumps. They know how to have a good time in general.  Smiley

I'm sure they are gratified that you are amused...

I was honored by an invitation to visit the home towns in Mexico of two of them (one in Jalisco state and one in Sinaloa), both of which I accepted, and at one of them, took up my old pot smoking habit again. So they seem to like this particular gringo's company. Go figure. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »

The 2010 exit polls showed that 1/3 of voting gays (31% to be exact) voted Republican, compared to 27% in 2008. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44743.html

Maybe, just maybe, and I know this is crazy but hear me out... gays are actually individual people with their own political thoughts besides one single issue. Maybe not all gays are stero-typical effeminate hippie pofters. Maybe some of them cares strongly about defense, maybe some gays like guns, maybe some gays even care about the economy without subscribing to an Social Democratic agenda.      

This is the reason that most gay conservatives I know vote Republican, and I've yet to meet anyone say they do it beause they "self-loathe," though, who would say that? Both sides have played politics with gays for years, so at some point, they start looking at their economic self-interest. When you include the fact that gays are better off financially than the general public at large, you have your answer to how nearly a third identify as Republican.

I think that you may have stumbled onto the truth. Plus, sad to say, a non-negligible number of gays tend to be racist (which also sad to say, very sad, has a positive correlation with being a Pub). For some, there is a narcissism streak, and they prefer folks that look just like themselves.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »

Oh, I will say this: I feel like this election will help solidify gay voters around democrats by a margin similar to their numbers with blacks. It's just that much harder to justify being a Republican when you can't just say "ah, both sides suck when it comes to gay rights."

Simply because Obama came out for gay marriage as an obvious political tactic, which is a state issue in any event?  I think you may be selling gays short myself. I would like to think they are more serious than that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:54:12 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 12:56:12 AM by Torie »

I appreciate what you say Mr. Moderate about state battles, but I hope you bear in mind that gay marriage is muddled when it comes to the usual partisan divides. It is more about class and education and secularism really. But the point is, is that electing a POTUS who will not really have much impact on this, to me has little to do about these state battles, most of which we are destined to win, and sooner rather than later, anyway, outside the zone most gays avoid like the plague anyway, for reasons going beyond the homophobia quotient, like living in a place in which it is worth living, if you are gay, educated, etc., etc.

No, I am not trying to change your mind here Mr. Moderate about your POTUS choice, as simply trying to explain as best I can - however pathetically - mine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies