Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:14:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?  (Read 10496 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: July 30, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »

I'm sorry, are you implying that gay Democratic voters aren't patriotic?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »

I'm sorry, are you implying that gay Democratic voters aren't patriotic?

Poster geesthacht82 proposed that a certain subset should not vote for a political party based on the peculiar belief that such 'makes no sense'.

Regardless of one's opinions on the particular happenstance here, I would hope you would agree in principle that there are some voters who choose their political party based on their belief of the best interest of the nation and not the alleged best interest of a certain subset of that nation.

Certainly, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised that you're ascribing patriotism to even some gays, but...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:20:51 PM »

Why do many (probably around 20-25%) of small business owners vote Dem?

Well, Dems aren't anti small-business.

I'd be astonished if only 20-25% of small business owners voted for Democrats.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

Of course not, opebo, but it would be good from the perspective of gay Republicans, or gays who have to live under Republican government.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

In an issue-based advocacy situation, the way to win an issue usually is to build support for it within the opposite party such that virtually all of your party agrees with you and the other party's status is something more like "confused" on the issue. Basically what happened to the Democrats on gun control when the Republicans pretty much won the issue.

Yeah but I don't care so very much about this issue, only about defeating Republicans.

You're also not gay.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »

A third of voting gays voted for Republicans in a Republican wave election. I'm not disputing the rest of MorningInAmerica's point; I'm just disputing that that constitutes 'nearly a third identify[ing] as Republican'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

Will the gays snap back to 2004 levels in this election thanks to Obama evolution?

Quite probably back, quite possibly by quite a bit, although not, I think all the way back. 2004 levels had a lot to do with the Bush-Rove campaigning style in that year.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:48:53 AM »

I doubt those numbers will continue, what with full-on marriage equality from the Democrats.

I didn't realize the number 1, top, most important issue for gays was getting "marriage equality". Maybe they just vote like the rest of us.

Would it actually surprise you if I said that the main issues for not all but many gay people are indeed those issues that affect them as a discrete group, and if so, why?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 01:58:16 AM »

I doubt those numbers will continue, what with full-on marriage equality from the Democrats.

I didn't realize the number 1, top, most important issue for gays was getting "marriage equality". Maybe they just vote like the rest of us.

Would it actually surprise you if I said that the main issues for not all but many gay people are indeed those issues that affect them as a discrete group, and if so, why?

Isn't it about time they were treated as normal individuals, as opposed to this homogeneous "gay bloc"

It is. Get to your party grandees about that, why don't you?

In all seriousness, it shouldn't come as any sort of shock that groups of people exist. This is what makes demographics a relevant discipline. The fact that this seems to surprise and upset you is revelatory.

Isn't it about time white Southern evangelicals were treated as normal individuals, as opposed to this homogeneous 'white Southern evangelical bloc'?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies