MA: Mideast Budget 2012 (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Budget 2012 (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Budget 2012 (Debating)  (Read 7038 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »

Why did you vote on this?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »

"for the people" Wink
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

Aye
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »

Aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »

OK - I don't mind the public voicing their opinions here, but let's try to differentiate between votes and public opinion.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »

Abstain
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »

Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 4, and the NAYs are 0, with 1 ABSTAIN.  The AYEs have it, and the amendment is agreed to.  Debate will now continue.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:26 AM »

Also is there any data we can get from the GM that shows the optimal marijuana tax where we will make the most revenue without users moving back to a black market and pay no taxes?

0%, considering the federal tax rates on marijuana.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »

So now that we've decided to raise taxes on beer (we still need to figure out how much money this generates), are there more ideas as to how we can balance the budget?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

Maybe make some cuts to administration.  Anybody know a responsible way to do that?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 11:52:02 PM »

Maybe make some cuts to administration.  Anybody know a responsible way to do that?

No, because in many programs, especially more entitlements programs we are on the brink or underfunded as it is. The problem with Atlasian budgets is we don't have control of management really. We only can pass laws of how to make something more efficient. I'm sure we could try some free market ideas like Mitch Daniels did in Indiana. Instead of making a toll road, just set aside a chunk of money and whatever company shows the most efficient and effective plan wins the contract and the road is toll free and in better shape than the government building and taxing it. We might already have that in the region though, I am unsure...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »

No, because in many programs, especially more entitlements programs we are on the brink or underfunded as it is. The problem with Atlasian budgets is we don't have control of management really. We only can pass laws of how to make something more efficient. I'm sure we could try some free market ideas like Mitch Daniels did in Indiana. Instead of making a toll road, just set aside a chunk of money and whatever company shows the most efficient and effective plan wins the contract and the road is toll free and in better shape than the government building and taxing it. We might already have that in the region though, I am unsure...
If we don't have that yet, then I would support it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »

I'm only bringing this up because I saw it mentioned, I know it hasn't been seriously discussed yet, but FTR, I am adamantly opposed to any effort to try and bring more toll roads to the Mideast Region.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

So now that we've decided to raise taxes on beer (we still need to figure out how much money this generates), are there more ideas as to how we can balance the budget?
You could get rid of some of those tax expenditures.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »

Let's cut government as opposed to raising taxes on income or this proposed beer tax increase.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »

Let's cut government as opposed to raising taxes on income or this proposed beer tax increase.

Normally I'd agree with you, but there must be some room for short term tax increases in order to keep revenue flowing.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

Normally I'd agree with you, but there must be some room for short term tax increases in order to keep revenue flowing.
I would probably agree with both of you on this one.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »

Well the beer tax increase amendment passed
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »

I'm leaning towards supporting shua's idea and ask the members of the Assembly: Which specific tax expenditure(s) are you ready to sacrifice in return for a balanced budget?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »

Would a pension tax have to be done in a separate bill?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 01:37:18 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I would be willing to support that, but as long as it only affects future employees.  
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »

I'm leaning towards supporting shua's idea and ask the members of the Assembly: Which specific tax expenditure(s) are you ready to sacrifice in return for a balanced budget?

Guys I'm telling as the conservative author of this bill we really can't afford to cut much from this budget at all. It already is as libertarian as you can get when compared to all the states in the region combined RL. It's easy to say "cut government" but this budget is already at that stage of enough to survive on, but enormously less expenditures than RL budgets. If you want to make this game like RL, then you have to look at the budget from the standpoint that we can't magically cut everything and expect great benefits due to incredible management and super people in every department. If you want to see the full fight, just go to the old thread where GM Badger and I endlessly debated this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »

I second A-Bob's statements. A balanced budget is ideal, but we can't gut our government.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 09:20:35 PM by shua, gm »

I'm assuming you have a significant pension tax. I beleive that's what most of that "social insurance tax" revenue represents, and that Badger based the number for that on Ohio's RL programs.

Guys I'm telling as the conservative author of this bill we really can't afford to cut much from this budget at all. It already is as libertarian as you can get when compared to all the states in the region combined RL. It's easy to say "cut government" but this budget is already at that stage of enough to survive on, but enormously less expenditures than RL budgets. If you want to make this game like RL, then you have to look at the budget from the standpoint that we can't magically cut everything and expect great benefits due to incredible management and super people in every department. If you want to see the full fight, just go to the old thread where GM Badger and I endlessly debated this.
Your direct spending (i.e. government programs) is enormously less than RL budgets. Your tax expenditures are not. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »

He's talking about cutting tax expenditures (i.e. tax cuts, etc.), not cutting government programs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies