I turned down a counter offer.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:50:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I turned down a counter offer.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I turned down a counter offer.  (Read 1957 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »

I recently made a decision, which while I'm happy that I made it quickly and decisively (since usually I don't) I still have nagging doubts about. Basically, last week a former coworker of mine contacted me to let me know of an opportunity where he works. I went in for an interview, and got an offer almost immediately. Monetarily it is very slightly better than where I am now (3-4%) but in terms of the job itself it is a much more satisfying position, so I accepted right away. However, when I went to resign from my current job, my boss blew me away with a 19% raise plus a 16% bonus. He also offered to switch me into a more fulfilling position.

I turned him down. The main reason is that the job I'm going to be taking would still be better in terms of my career development than what was offered at my current position. I've been at my current company for a long time and it's really small and doesn't offer as much interesting work. I've been promised a more fulfilling position several times, but nothing has materialized. So I guess there's a lack of trust issue too. Also, I haven't always been treated very well by my current boss. I feel they engage in favoritism and have tended to favor certain other employees' career trajectories over mine.

But another reason is that I read a lot of advice online saying that one should not renege on accepted offers and one should not take counter offers because you can't trust your employer any more. But I still doubt whether I did the right thing. I feel a lot of the online advice was written by recruiters who hate counter-offers/reneging because it means they don't get the recruitment fee. It may be giving people a biased view of whether or not to accepted the counter offer. What do you think?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »

You did the right thing. If your boss was trustable, I would stay. The raise, and the bonus seem like great offers. But, as mentioned, nothing ever happens. So, all in all, you made the right choice. Congrats on the new job Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »

Given the info it sounds like the good move. I'd put it this way. If your boss was willing to go to those lengths to keep you, it's a clear sign that you're too good for them. In other words, if they could convince someone as good as you to take the job after you, there would be no problem in letting you go.

Thus, a counter-offer is an indication that you're better off without them, imo.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

What the devil do you do that you get all these offers?  Computer repairman?  Because it sounds rather counter to the experience of most people (desperation, firing, unemployment)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »

I've been in similar situations and you made the right call. Had you stayed you would eventually just get strung along and would be in the same spot years from now. His strategy was to pay you as cheaply as possible rather than rewording good work and developing you along.

Good luck in your new position.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

Seems like a good decision.  At the point that they're only offering you more because they know they might lose you, do you really want to stay at that company?  Plus, like you said, once you accept an offer, you should take it - I've never been a fan of those who play political games at work.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »

Wasn't with the oncompany, was it?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

The counter-offer is merely a tactic to keep you on till they find someone else.  Gives them the power.  Good move.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 01:27:34 AM by Politico »

I recently made a decision, which while I'm happy that I made it quickly and decisively (since usually I don't) I still have nagging doubts about. Basically, last week a former coworker of mine contacted me to let me know of an opportunity where he works. I went in for an interview, and got an offer almost immediately. Monetarily it is very slightly better than where I am now (3-4%) but in terms of the job itself it is a much more satisfying position, so I accepted right away. However, when I went to resign from my current job, my boss blew me away with a 19% raise plus a 16% bonus. He also offered to switch me into a more fulfilling position.

I turned him down. The main reason is that the job I'm going to be taking would still be better in terms of my career development than what was offered at my current position. I've been at my current company for a long time and it's really small and doesn't offer as much interesting work. I've been promised a more fulfilling position several times, but nothing has materialized. So I guess there's a lack of trust issue too. Also, I haven't always been treated very well by my current boss. I feel they engage in favoritism and have tended to favor certain other employees' career trajectories over mine.

But another reason is that I read a lot of advice online saying that one should not renege on accepted offers and one should not take counter offers because you can't trust your employer any more. But I still doubt whether I did the right thing. I feel a lot of the online advice was written by recruiters who hate counter-offers/reneging because it means they don't get the recruitment fee. It may be giving people a biased view of whether or not to accepted the counter offer. What do you think?

You made the right move. No doubt whatsoever.

Never ever accept a counteroffer after submitting resignation. The only possible exception would be if you work at a small firm owned by a friend, and I mean a friend in the truest sense imaginable (i.e., friends for years before you started working with them, etc.). Otherwise, it can only lead to bad things.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies