Peter Jackson must be stopped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:33:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Peter Jackson must be stopped
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Peter Jackson must be stopped  (Read 3377 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »

I was under the impression that Christopher Tolkein had only given Jackson the rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, but I could be mistaken. Of course, if he was willing to sign over additional rights, there's enough material to make dozens of films, and of course even with just the leftover information in the LOTR appendices, there's probably enough for one. Anyway, I would gladly see three Jackson films set in the LOTRverse.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »

He never owned the rights to The Lord of the Rings; Tolkien sold them in the late 1950s (I think it was the late 50s anyway. Around then if not) to solve a tax problem.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 02:35:32 AM »

I was under the impression that Christopher Tolkein had only given Jackson the rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, but I could be mistaken.

IIRC, the filmmakers do indeed only have the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (including its appendices).  So they can't take any material from Silmarillion or anything else.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

There is material for several full length movies from the leftout chapters of the main body of LOTR. Some of those might even be doable without explicitly contradicting the original Jackson version.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

Hollywood has assumed the world's attention spans have completely died.   Epics like Lawrence of Arabia would have been cut as a trilogy today and even the original LOTR would probably have been 6 movies in the 2010s.

If we have to wait yet another year for a third part simply because they'd rather two-hour films than three, I'll be furious.

Why get paid twice when you can get paid thrice?

Hurrah, me matey.

http://io9.com/5931001/everything-peter-jackson-added-to-the-hobbit-++-with-proof

Excited if true.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »

Woah, neither the guy who wrote that nor anybody in his target audience has read The Hobbit, has read The Lord of the Rings, or could imagine an IQ even higer than Peter Jackson's gigantic, overpowering, 70.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 12:57:51 AM by Politico »

It does seem like a bit much, if you ask me. I don't particularly like Lord of the Rings, but I do recall enjoying The Hobbit as a kid. I do not remember it being the lengthiest novel.

Oh well. At least he isn't butchering  more classics with crappy remakes like he did with King Kong.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

It does seem like a bit much, if you ask me. I don't particularly like Lord of the Rings, but I do recall enjoying The Hobbit as a kid. I do not remember it being the lengthiest novel.
It is not.

But then, movie versions of novels rarely excite people familiar with the book even without stooping to Jacksonite levels.
Just compare Trainspotting the movie to Trainspotting the novel... so glad I knew the movie first.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies