Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:15:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'  (Read 24078 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2012, 09:33:23 PM by Politico »

Obvious and desperate attempt to distract and divert attention away from the success of picking Ryan.

The tax returns issue is old news. Obama 2012 has morphed into this weird campaign with only one purpose: Getting Romney to release his tax returns. No wonder people are loving the Ryan selection. It shows Romney is about ideas and results, not distractions. Hopefully somebody in the Obama IRS will simply leak Romney's tax returns, creating a whole host of problems for Obama and Co.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »

I am not arguing that Romney did anything that is illegal or unethical, it is just that his tax activities highlight his ultra-wealth and his working of the system to get himself a better deal.

Do you think this makes middle class Americans like him more?

Oh it may hurt him a tad. But working the system within the law is what America is all about. I don't think most Americans would hold that against him. That is what they would do if they were in his position - almost all of them. And I don't think most are opebo types, who dislike people (at least on a political level) simply because they are rich. They kind of admire rich people, at least those who earned their dough legally.

No one who is really rich made their dough ethically, and probably not legally. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »

I am not arguing that Romney did anything that is illegal or unethical, it is just that his tax activities highlight his ultra-wealth and his working of the system to get himself a better deal.

Oh it may hurt him a tad. But working the system within the law is what America is all about. I don't think most Americans would hold that against him. That is what they would do if they were in his position - almost all of them. And I don't think most are opebo types, who dislike people (at least on a political level) simply because they are rich. They kind of admire rich people, at least those who earned their dough legally.

I think you're a little off. Sure, a large portion of Americans are fine with gaming the system - if everyone has the same opportunity. And while there's also respect for the wealthy self-made man, there is little for those perceived, rightly or wrongly, to have make their money by cheating or exploiting others. Governor Romney's problem isn't just that he's wealthy,  it's that his success comes across as the product of privilege, entitlement, and elitism.  He needs to change that perception, not exacerbate it by refusing to release his taxes.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:51 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2012, 01:13:27 AM by Nathan »

Obvious and desperate attempt to distract and divert attention away from the success of picking Ryan.

The tax returns issue is old news. Obama 2012 has morphed into this weird campaign with only one purpose: Getting Romney to release his tax returns. No wonder people are loving the Ryan selection. It shows Romney is about ideas and results, not distractions. Hopefully somebody in the Obama IRS will simply leak Romney's tax returns, creating a whole host of problems for Obama and Co.

Obvious and desperate attempt to distract and divert attention away from the disappointingly modest results of picking Ryan.

The tax returns issue has no reason to go away. Romney 2012 has morphed into this weird campaign with only one purpose: Distracting people from Romney's refusal to release tax returns for an extended period of time like every single other presidential candidate in recent history has had no mysterious problems with doing. No wonder people are lukewarm and retrenching in their preexisting opinions regarding the Ryan selection. It shows Romney is about ideological pandering and unearned reputations for seriousness, not respect for the electorate. Hopefully somebody in the Obama IRS will simply leak Romney's tax returns, creating a whole host of problems for Romney and Co.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #254 on: August 16, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »

No one who is really rich made their dough ethically, and probably not legally. 

This is a joke right?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »

Seems Romney has answered the charge regarding the last ten years. The ball is now back in Reid's court. I would behoove Reid to now specify which years, of any, in the last ten years to which he was referring. Then, we could know for certain whom the liar is.

Somehow, I don't think Reid will. Everyone can draw their own conclusions about whom the liar is.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »

Seems Romney has answered the charge regarding the last ten years. The ball is now back in Reid's court. I would behoove Reid to now specify which years, of any, in the last ten years to which he was referring. Then, we could know for certain whom the liar is.

Somehow, I don't think Reid will. Everyone can draw their own conclusions about whom the liar is.

Ball is still in Romney's court.  Romney has a record of lying about his taxes. Just saying he paid taxes while offering zero proof doesn't get him off the hook.  By the standards spelled out by Romney's own father, Obama has disclosed sufficient information about his personal finances, Romney has not.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2012, 08:31:24 PM by Politico »

I can't wait until the dossier of 23 years of tax returns (1984-2007), provided to the McCain vetting team, is released
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:20 PM »

I can't wait until the dossier of 23 years of tax returns (1984-2007), provided to the McCain vetting team, is released

It's odd that if there was nothing politically problematic that they haven't leaked by now since there are so many people who have them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »

Ryan wants to eliminate capital gains taxes, which would make Romney's taxes basically 0%. Of course 13% was already outrageously low.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »

OK Mr. Sleaze Reid, Romney and Ann have given definitive answers to your libelous charges.

Now put up or shut up you low life scum. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »

Neither can the rest of us.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

Ball is still in Romney's court.  Romney has a record of lying about his taxes. Just saying he paid taxes while offering zero proof doesn't get him off the hook.

Nor, does Reid citing an unnamed "source" get him off the hook for lying. My point is that if Reid is telling the truth he has the resource of naming the specific year Romney paid no taxes and lied about it. Reid's failure to step forward and specify which years Romney allegedly paid no tax indicates that Reid in fact is the person lying.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »

As expected, Ryan didn't make this issue go away.

Having Romney telling the world that he payed a whole 13% tax rate (without proof) is not a good thing for him. It jut reminds people he is a uber rich guy who benefits from tax loopholes.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2012, 03:48:33 PM by Politico »

Ball is still in Romney's court.  Romney has a record of lying about his taxes. Just saying he paid taxes while offering zero proof doesn't get him off the hook.

Nor, does Reid citing an unnamed "source" get him off the hook for lying. My point is that if Reid is telling the truth he has the resource of naming the specific year Romney paid no taxes and lied about it. Reid's failure to step forward and specify which years Romney allegedly paid no tax indicates that Reid in fact is the person lying.

Yeah, because even if Romney releases the dossier, Reid will just turn around and say, "HE DIDN'T PAY TAXES FROM 1973-1983!" And how the hell is Romney going to be able to dig back through his files and find tax returns that are over three decades old?

Reid needs to specify the years or shut the [Inks] up. No wonder so many people do not want to run for president anymore.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

Ball is still in Romney's court.  Romney has a record of lying about his taxes. Just saying he paid taxes while offering zero proof doesn't get him off the hook.

Yeah, because even if Romney releases the dossier, Reid will just turn around and say, "HE DIDN'T PAY TAXES FROM 1973-1983!" And how the hell is Romney going to be able to dig back through his files and find tax returns that are over three decades old?

Reid needs to specify the years or shut the [Inks] up. No wonder so many people do not want to run for president anymore.

He did specify that it was during the period Romney was working for Bain, which even if Mitt had released the twelve years his father had wouldn't be covered.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »

I believe the Mormon Church will excommunicate members involved in cases of libel, which is what Reid has committed.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

I believe the Mormon Church will excommunicate members involved in cases of libel, which is what Reid has committed.

If it's going to excommunicate politicians for saying untrue things about other people, they'll need to kick Romney out as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »

Does the LDS hold it's own equivalent trials to make findings of fact that all the elements of libel had been proved by a preponderance of the evidence?  What are the rules of evidence?  I do know they hold excommunication trials, and a lady who said things with which the Church disagreed in her books was so excommunicated, but it was more in the nature of a star chamber proceeding actually. They had all made up their minds in advance, and were just going through the motions. In any event, it strikes me as odd that the LDS would get involved in a civil matter like this. They really can't be that dumb can they?  You are LDS right Winfield? If not, let me know, and I will get off your back on this.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »

I do not discuss personal matters on public forums.

I have made that clear in the past.

Personal matters, public forums, not a good mix.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »

I do not discuss personal matters on public forums.

I have made that clear in the past.

Personal matters, public forums, not a good mix.

For once, something I can agree on with you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »

If it's going to excommunicate politicians for saying untrue things about other people, they'll need to kick Romney out as well.

Probably most politicians would have to go, but Romney is some particularly low hanging fruit.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »

Interesting how every Democrat here will acknowledge that Reid is probably at least incorrect, but no Republican will acknowledge that something at least seems slightly suspicious about Romney's steadfast refusal to do something every presidential candidate has automatically done for 50+ years.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2012, 11:58:54 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

There is nothing in the least even slightly suspicious about Romney's steadfast refusal to release these tax files.

The Democrats are on a fishing expedition, just one of many ploys, the major one, they have used to detract from Obama's obvious inability to turn around the economy.

If the Democrats ever got their hands on these tax files, which they never will, they would clearly see that Romney has absolutely paid all his taxes to the fullest extent reuired by law, and they would proceed going over them with a fine tooth comb to try and find anything they could in them to twist and turn out of all proportion in an effort to attack Romney with.

The Democrats are playing a very underhanded game, and they are not really interested in Romney's tax returns at all.  They are ony interested in playing politics with this issue.

I say, let the Democrats go kicking and screaming about these taxes all they want, by using twit fall guys like sleaze Reid.  The people will soon tire of the game they are playing.  The people want to hear about job creation and are interested in how much tax they will be paying, not how much Romney paid.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2012, 12:06:27 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 12:08:12 AM by Politico »

Interesting how every Democrat here will acknowledge that Reid is probably at least incorrect, but no Republican will acknowledge that something at least seems slightly suspicious about Romney's steadfast refusal to do something every presidential candidate has automatically done for 50+ years.

No presidential candidate has ever released 30+ years of tax returns, which is what would be necessary to cover the duration of Romney's association with Bain.

Why didn't Obama release his birth certificate in 2008?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies