Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:30:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'  (Read 23992 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 31, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

Reid knows how to play the game.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:00:31 AM »

If anything, Reid is worse, since he holds a public position of authority.

So do dozens of Republican governors, senators and congressmen who asked for Obama'sd birth certificate.

Well I'd include them in that too, but it's no defence for Reid. The lot of them, they're all morons.

Except that Obama's birth was reported in the papers, he'd written his biography about being born in the U.S., so accusations about the birth certificate assumed Obama was a liar and was also suspect because of his race and name.

Reid's playing dirty politics here but he can do so because, unlike Obama's birth, Romney's finances and taxes are a black box and Romney has stonewalled all requests for info.

You wouldn't compare the fact of someone's birth in a certain place, which is easy to verify without a birth certificate, to someone's tax rate, which is obscure and which Romney is the first candidate in a while to hide something on, would you?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:42:25 AM »

I now consider Reid to be no better than the morons who clamour for Obama's birth certificate. It's exactly the same argument of "here's a ridiculous statement, now prove it to be untrue." If anything, Reid is worse, since he holds a public position of authority.

And even worse then that because he is a complete hypocrit on the issue of financial disclosure. Damn I wish we had bagged this SOB in 2010.

GOP primary voters loved freedom and the Constitution too much to nominate an impure candidate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »

Romney is now responding to Reid by saying he paid lots of taxes.

The word that's missing is "income."

Romney has surely paid a lot of property taxes on his estates in New Hampshire and on the California coast.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »

Torie, I think it's certainly possible he didn't say "income" on purpose. I don't believe Reid's story but I think it's possible he avoided taxes altogether at least once.

This distinction between paying taxes and paying income taxes is always on my mind because of the common claim by some partisans that the poor don't pay taxes in order to justify income tax cuts.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »

What does it matter if people approve? Bush did it, and it worked. Dems could wring our hands but it won't change. I'm glad Reid is playing this game even though I don't believe him. Republicans may not have "supported" the swift boating or Gore bashing but you still voted for your guy and he won. So it goes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »

URL says it all.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/harry-reid-fundraises-off-of-charge-that-romney

It's hard to see that this fight has been anything but good for Reid and, by extension, Obama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »

Proof, proof, I want proof, I demand proof, I demand you prove your allegations.  Come on, give me proof, proof, proof.

Who are you demanding proof of? What will you do if you don't get proof?

Do you not grasp that this is all about PR and messaging and not the actual accusation? Since you are going with the username "OBAMA = NIXON II," you must have a feel for unprovable hyperbole, no?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »

This is the lowest form of scum poltiics in the history of Presidential elections. 

And I thought Nixon was bad.  He pales in comparison to Obama and his mob.

Windfield, an honest question.

Why are you so abrasive and offensive? Why this constant hyperbole, whining, and victimization in which you attack people who disagree with you?

When you come into this forum girded for war, and treat people who disagree with you as morons or villains, you make the forum worse for everyone. People like you and krazen raise the temperature in here and force a response. It degrades the mood of the forum.

Why can't you treat people like you would want to be treated, like a recognizable human?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

Oh Brittain33 , chill out a bit. I quite enjoyed the reasonably decorous invective on this thread myself. Granted the ball was not moved anyplace much, but sometimes football plays are fun to watch even if no yardage is gained or lost, just walking the bodies bang into each other. Tongue

Yeah, I'm out of proportion for this thread, this was the sum of many times reading posts like that and just not understanding where they come from or why they come across that way.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »

What does it matter if people approve? Bush did it, and it worked. Dems could wring our hands but it won't change. I'm glad Reid is playing this game even though I don't believe him. Republicans may not have "supported" the swift boating or Gore bashing but you still voted for your guy and he won*. So it goes.

So...you are admitting that they claims are 100% unsubstantiated and politically motivated? I think we are on the same page...except that what you seem to be suggesting is that you can get past Obama doing it because you're still bitter about the 00 and 04 elections; which isn't very becoming...

Well, one, this is Reid and not Obama who made the "10 year" claim, two, of course they are politically motivated, this is a campaign, and three, I couldn't put a number on how unsubstantiated they are or not because we have no proof Reid is lying. I'm just not as profoundly shocked by this as some Republicans are, because the only thing that's shocking is that for the first time since '96 the Dems are more competent at this kind of agenda-setting than Republicans are.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »

The felony comment was one Obama staff member and that was pretty quickly dropped. Obama's been hitting Romney for paying less than average Americans do, which is highly believable, because it's what was shown in the one year's return he did release. Obama is making hay from Romney's using tax shelters and legal maneuvers ordinary Americans don't know about, but really should, like the carried interest scam.

As for Reid saying he knows someone who knows Romney didn't have any tax liability for 10 years, I don't believe it, but it's the Republicans' problem that Harry Reid knows how to make attacks like this without proof and not get in trouble.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »

Lindsey Graham is a hackish eunuch and Reince Priebus is an idiot. There, I said those things. Does that make them true?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There.  You prove my point.  Because Reid says those things about Romney does not make them true either.

Yeah and by calling Reid a liar, you aren't proving your point either. But Reid is winning because he is keeping this story in the news.

Actually, Reid will ultimately lose in the end, because sleaze purveyors always lose in the end.

Not really. Plenty of sleazy politicos and operatives have long, lucrative careers. Look at how well Karl Rove is doing after his candidate's legacy collapsed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

How do we know if Reid is a liar? Maybe he is right. There is only one way to find out....

It looks like we might find out more about Reid's financial situation before we know more about Romney's.

Why is that?

Folks are confused as to how he got rich while in office. The Pubs are digging into it. Stay tuned.

This should be interesting. No one has dared to [Inks] with Reid in decades. I wouldn't want to be the Republican charged with tracking this down unless I'd already had cause to be neutered.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »

B) Those behind the McCain's campaign and VP vetting process, and John McCain himself,  have said that there was nothing foul or 'disqualifying' in Romney's tax returns.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/mitt-romney-tax-returns_n_1680765.html

In the words of Christine Keeler, "he would say that, wouldn't he?"

Seriously, do you think McCain and Schmidt have an incentive to say anything but "they checked out just fine," whether it's true or not?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

Obama is now campaigning on the claim that Ryan's plan would lower Romney's tax rate even further, to something shy of 1%. Is that possible?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies