Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:03:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'  (Read 23978 times)
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« on: August 01, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ignoring Reid's absurd assumption that is impossible for millionaires with low (or non-existent, as is the assertion) tax rates to be worth $250 million or less...what ever happened to class? There is plenty to attack Romney on as a candidate with resorting to this sort of childishness. Essentially, Reid is publicly accusing Romney of a crime. Should his accusations prove to be false, Reid is guilty of slander - in which case Romney could score a few easy points should he file a civil suit.

To Romney's credit; In spite of all of his screw ups, he's handled this situation flawlessly. Stone-wall and let the Democrats look desperate. The polls reflect the weak sauce of the game Democratic politicians are playing.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »

To Romney's credit; In spite of all of his screw ups, he's handled this situation flawlessly. Stone-wall and let the Democrats look desperate. The polls reflect the weak sauce of the game Democratic politicians are playing.

Describe us your relation with reality.

RCP average is Obama +2 at the moment. If people were buying into what the Obama camp is accusing Romney of, the polls would reflect that.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

whenever a poster starts with "I heard..." you know what comes next is the most ridiculous BS ever (on both sides).

Either link to credible sources or don't make $#!T up

I'm thinking AmericanNation was making a snarky, comparative statement (correct me if I'm wrong). Why should we believe Reid's BS more than AmericanNation's when they are holding the same amount of evidence to substantiate their claims?
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »

Quick question for those who believe in the IRS: If the IRS failed to properly collect taxes from a multi-millionaire for over a decade while bringing the hammer down on countless middle class people for petty sums of money, what does that say about their competence and value to society?

Of course, this is a snarky rhetorical question, because there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Romney paid no income taxes for over a decade. It's ludacris for a full-grown man like Harry Reid to be acting like this.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »

This is the same reason why there would have never been a Steve Jobs or Welch Presidency. There is simply no way a successfully business man can withstand the dogs of ignorant populism released by desperate insider politicians.

Isn't that just another way of saying that the American public would never approve of large corporations if they knew how they actually worked?

Perhaps at first, but when confronted with the alternative of higher prices and less access to consumer goods the public would quiet. This is largely why "free trade" is still a popular position.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »

I don't understand the Republican argument here. Why the hell shouldn't Romney do with every major Presidential candidate since, um, his father, has done and release a few more years of tax returns? Huh

Look, we all know his pathetic and bumbling response to this is revealing - there's clearly something bad - maybe very bad - in those tax returns, otherwise why on earth isn't he releasing them right now and making the Democrats look incredibly silly? Huh

The argument against this doesn't make sense - Mitt Romney's so special that he shouldn't be subject to the same kind of vetting - no matter how intrusive you may think it is - that every Presidential candidate in the last forty years has? Please.

Look, it's possible Romney is playing some kind of grand political chess game and I'll end up looking stupid when he triumphantly releases his boring, clean tax returns. I think we can deduce that's not going to happen.

This isn't like people are asking for his dental records - this is a normal, routine part of running for President, and the fact Romney is frantically attempting to escape it is very, very suspicious - and you're all operating under a massive collective delusion if you think it's not going to hurt him politically.

People asked the same questions regarding Obama's birth certificate. "Why not just release it and prove us wrong?". It's because political battles aren't won by giving due diligence to every ridiculous allegation thrown at you, which is exactly why Team Romney is telling the Democrats to shove it. These tax allegations against Romney are every bit as ludacris and politically motivated as the birther nonsense.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »

I don't understand the Republican argument here. Why the hell shouldn't Romney do with every major Presidential candidate since, um, his father, has done and release a few more years of tax returns? Huh

Look, we all know his pathetic and bumbling response to this is revealing - there's clearly something bad - maybe very bad - in those tax returns, otherwise why on earth isn't he releasing them right now and making the Democrats look incredibly silly? Huh

The argument against this doesn't make sense - Mitt Romney's so special that he shouldn't be subject to the same kind of vetting - no matter how intrusive you may think it is - that every Presidential candidate in the last forty years has? Please.

Look, it's possible Romney is playing some kind of grand political chess game and I'll end up looking stupid when he triumphantly releases his boring, clean tax returns. I think we can deduce that's not going to happen.

This isn't like people are asking for his dental records - this is a normal, routine part of running for President, and the fact Romney is frantically attempting to escape it is very, very suspicious - and you're all operating under a massive collective delusion if you think it's not going to hurt him politically.

People asked the same questions regarding Obama's birth certificate. "Why not just release it and prove us wrong?". It's because political battles aren't won by giving due diligence to every ridiculous allegation thrown at you, which is exactly why Team Romney is telling the Democrats to shove it. These tax allegations against Romney are every bit as ludacris and politically motivated as the birther nonsense.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't aware that it was common practice for Presidential candidates to release their birth certificates.

It isn't. Nor is it common practice for an incumbent's re-election campaign to accuse their opponent of financial malpractice and possible felonies without any credible evidence. The burden of proof is on the accuser.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't aware that it was common practice for Presidential candidates to release their birth certificates.

It isn't. Nor is it common practice for an incumbent's re-election campaign to accuse their opponent of financial malpractice and possible felonies without any credible evidence. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

Indeed. It's much more common for an incumbent to accuse his opponent of being anti-American and soft on terrorism.

That's a strawman argument, I never suggested that I approved Bush's campaign tactic.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »

What does it matter if people approve? Bush did it, and it worked. Dems could wring our hands but it won't change. I'm glad Reid is playing this game even though I don't believe him. Republicans may not have "supported" the swift boating or Gore bashing but you still voted for your guy and he won*. So it goes.

So...you are admitting that they claims are 100% unsubstantiated and politically motivated? I think we are on the same page...except that what you seem to be suggesting is that you can get past Obama doing it because you're still bitter about the 00 and 04 elections; which isn't very becoming...
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »

What does it matter if people approve? Bush did it, and it worked. Dems could wring our hands but it won't change. I'm glad Reid is playing this game even though I don't believe him. Republicans may not have "supported" the swift boating or Gore bashing but you still voted for your guy and he won*. So it goes.

So...you are admitting that they claims are 100% unsubstantiated and politically motivated? I think we are on the same page...except that what you seem to be suggesting is that you can get past Obama doing it because you're still bitter about the 00 and 04 elections; which isn't very becoming...

Well, one, this is Reid and not Obama who made the "10 year" claim, two, of course they are politically motivated, this is a campaign, and three, I couldn't put a number on how unsubstantiated they are or not because we have no proof Reid is lying. I'm just not as profoundly shocked by this as some Republicans are, because the only thing that's shocking is that for the first time since '96 the Dems are more competent at this kind of agenda-setting than Republicans are.

one. This is actually a good point. Why is the Senate Majority Leader spending so much time researching into Mitt Romney's personal wealth, even going so far as to bring it up on the floor of the Senate? "Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!", Senator.

two. Are you saying it's okay to accuse people of potential felonies without any evidence (slander) because it's campaign season or are you saying it's okay this time because of what Bush and Rove did 8 years ago?

three. We don't need to prove that Reid is lying, he has to prove that he is telling the truth. There is one thing that is shocking in this issue, and it's how Democrats quickly forget the principle of "Innocent until proven guilty"
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

If Reid's clams are false, wouldn't McCain and Schmidt be the two most credible people to strike them down? They saw Romney's tax returns back in 2008 when he was vetted for VP. What are they saying about all this?

McCain has refused to comment.. why doesn't he just come out and say that Reid is lying or has a BS source?

For all we know, McCain is Reid's source.
For all we know, the reason Romney was not chosen as McCain's running mate is that McCain did not get to see these tax returns at the time.

A) McCain saw 23 years worth of Romney's tax returns.

B) Those behind the McCain's campaign and VP vetting process, and John McCain himself,  have said that there was nothing foul or 'disqualifying' in Romney's tax returns.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/mitt-romney-tax-returns_n_1680765.html

Ironically, that's one credible source (in that they actually had access to Romney's tax returns) on the record for Romney's case. Contrast that with Reid's anonymous source who, should they even exist, would not have access to Romney's personal tax information and the writing is on the wall.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »

B) Those behind the McCain's campaign and VP vetting process, and John McCain himself,  have said that there was nothing foul or 'disqualifying' in Romney's tax returns.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/mitt-romney-tax-returns_n_1680765.html

In the words of Christine Keeler, "he would say that, wouldn't he?"

Seriously, do you think McCain and Schmidt have an incentive to say anything but "they checked out just fine," whether it's true or not?

Considering the alleged personal animosity between Romney and McCain, I don't see the motivation for McCain to flat deny this. If there was something there, McCain would 'no comment'. Instead, he insists that Palin was simply a better choice at the time; which I think is intended as a slight - but that I can't be sure of.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

I am not arguing that Romney did anything that is illegal or unethical, it is just that his tax activities highlight his ultra-wealth and his working of the system to get himself a better deal.

Do you think this makes middle class Americans like him more?

Oh it may hurt him a tad. But working the system within the law is what America is all about. I don't think most Americans would hold that against him. That is what they would do if they were in his position - almost all of them.

This.

Romney pays the bare minimum amount of taxes that the government will allow him. I don't know a single person who doesn't use the tax code to get the lowest possible rate. Tax Preparation is an industry of its own because of the universal desire to ensure the lowest possible tax rate.

Furthermore, if we are admitting that there is no evidence of wrong doing in Mitt Romney's tax filings, why do we still need to see them? If you want Romney's returns so that you can make attack ad out of Romney's perfectly legal tax rate, then you aren't alone; but it shouldn't come as much of a shock that Team Romney isn't playing ball.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies