Mourdock: Chrysler bankruptcy deal same thing as slavery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:46:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mourdock: Chrysler bankruptcy deal same thing as slavery
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mourdock: Chrysler bankruptcy deal same thing as slavery  (Read 455 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:57 AM »

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/mourdock-obamas-chrysler-bankruptcy-deal-same-tyrannical-principle-as-1858.php

Indiana GOP Senate nominee Richard Mourdock fired up a Tea Party crowd last week, by comparing the perhaps dry subject of his lawsuit against the Obama administration over the Chrysler bankruptcy to an older, more emotional struggle: Abraham Lincoln’s orations against slavery.

“He’s a man who does not understand this country. Because I don’t think anyone who truly understands those types of American who sacrifice, would ever be ripping away their assets, to take them from one group to give to another.

“You see, my friends, it is once again that message coming from Washington, D.C., that even people like those pensioners I represent can work and sweat and toil and earn and save, so that someone else can be given their assets.

“It is the same tyrannical principle as in 1858 — but now it’s 2012.”
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »

Yes, because saving one of America's biggest carmakers is akin to oppressing an entire race of people.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »

Please wake me up when this nightmare is over.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »

I really hope that Mourdock loses. He's like Allen West, but running for Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »

He isn't talking about the brankruptcy itself but rather a specific aspect of it, an aspect which could have been handled differently while still saving the companies, so don't give me that "Well it was worth it" crap. Tongue

As for the comparison, it is over the top to be sure, but this is an issue that gets lost in the weeds amongst the broader issue of the autobailout/bankruptcy itself and thus necessitates an attention getter of some sorts. This one seems to be counterproductive, however.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies