NE 2: Safe Sports Event Act - Defeated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:10:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE 2: Safe Sports Event Act - Defeated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE 2: Safe Sports Event Act - Defeated  (Read 884 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »
« edited: August 12, 2012, 09:29:02 AM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

SAFE SPORTS EVENTS ACT

In order to keep professional sports events safer for all concerned, both during the event and post event, the sale of alcoholic beverages of any kind shall be prohibited at any professional sports event held in the Northeast Region.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsor:  Winfield

Debating time:  72 hours
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 01:36:09 PM by Senator Scott »

I don't really understand the emphasis on sporting events in this bill.  Prohibition is undoubtedly a terrible thing, but why stop at sports?  Why not ban alcohol at churches, parties, dinners, weddings, etc.?  Shouldn't people participating in the events in those places be 'safe,' as well?

Personally, the only sports-related venues that I think alcohol could justly be prohibited from are shooting ranges, where alcohol is seldom present anyway.  Otherwise, I fear that this bill will have a profoundly negative effect on alcohol businesses in the Northeast Region.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

I appreciate the spirit behind this bill, but it seems rather overreachy.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »

I don't really understand the emphasis on sporting events in this bill.  Prohibition is undoubtedly a terrible thing, but why stop at sports?  Why not ban alcohol at churches, parties, dinners, weddings, etc.?  Shouldn't people participating in the events in those places be 'safe,' as well?

Personally, the only sports-related venues that I think alcohol could justly be prohibited from are shooting ranges, where alcohol is seldom present anyway.  Otherwise, I fear that this bill will have a profoundly negative effect on alcohol businesses in the Northeast Region.

I completely agree. As Alfred said, this bill is overreaching, and I can't support it.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »

I am sure we have all seen people at sports events, after drinking alcohol, who start acting like complete fools, and possibly acting abusive to others, and/or to the participants.  This detracts from the enjoyment of the event that most people in attendance have come to see.

As well, after a game, especially if the game has not gone to their liking, these individuals who may have too much to drink may take their aggression out on the highway, thus enganderaing the safety of others.

I like the code of conduct that the Seattle Mariners have committed to.  Banning alcohol at professional sporting events would be a start in this direction.  I believe with the banning of alcohol at professional sporting events would make these events more enjoyable for all concerned.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/ban-alcohol-from-sporting-events

Code of Conduct
The Seattle Mariners are committed to creating a safe, clean and friendly experience for our guests at Safeco Field. Our staff will proactively intervene to support an environment where guests can enjoy the Safeco Field experience free from unacceptable behavior, including the following:

Foul/abusive language or obscene gestures
Intoxication or other signs of impairment related to alcohol consumption
Use of tobacco products in any form.
Displays of affection not appropriate in a public, family setting
Obscene or indecent clothing
Any disruption of the game or event, including throwing of objects or trespassing on the playing field or in restricted areas
Sitting in a location other than the guest's ticketed seat
Fighting, taunting, or making threatening remarks or gestures.
Any guest not adhering to the above code or behaving in an unruly manner will be removed from the ballpark. The Seattle Mariners and Safeco Field management reserve the right to determine what is unruly or unacceptable behavior, warranting removal.

The point of the game is fans matter. Fans join a team as a we. When we join as team and wear its uniform, we participate but we agree to rules and actually enforce them and create them as we participate. This imposes obligations on us to respect the sport, support the team and not be cruel. We hand on the values and stance to those who follow us. 

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »

All the problems that arise from drinking at sports events aren't any different from the ones that occur in other places.  If a person's alcohol consumption drives them to the point of physical or mental impairment, then local police and security can take appropriate action so that their decisions don't endanger themselves or those around them.  Otherwise, it's best to leave the option to allow or disallow alcohol sales to the people running the establishments, who have the right to set certain rules for attendees and remove irresponsible or obnoxious persons at will.  If someone is being inconvenienced thanks to the bad decisions of another person, they have the right to report the offender to security.

I see no argument for banning alcohol at sports events that can't be applied for banning alcohol from other places, as well.  Of course, we all know the costs that society bears when alcohol prohibition is in place.  Furthermore, we ought to bear in mind that this Assembly has already passed a stupendous amount of regulations on businesses, and that enacting ones which won't benefit the greater good does nothing but needlessly cut profits.  This is bad for both our economy and society.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »

All the problems that arise from drinking at sports events aren't any different from the ones that occur in other places.  If a person's alcohol consumption drives them to the point of physical or mental impairment, then local police and security can take appropriate action so that their decisions don't endanger themselves or those around them.  Otherwise, it's best to leave the option to allow or disallow alcohol sales to the people running the establishments, who have the right to set certain rules for attendees and remove irresponsible or obnoxious persons at will.  If someone is being inconvenienced thanks to the bad decisions of another person, they have the right to report the offender to security.

I see no argument for banning alcohol at sports events that can't be applied for banning alcohol from other places, as well.  Of course, we all know the costs that society bears when alcohol prohibition is in place.  Furthermore, we ought to bear in mind that this Assembly has already passed a stupendous amount of regulations on businesses, and that enacting ones which won't benefit the greater good does nothing but needlessly cut profits.  This is bad for both our economy and society.

I agree with Senator Scott. We should be encouraging responsible alcohol sales and consumption, not resorting to prohibition. I cannot support this bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

Debate has now closed.

We will now vote on this bill.  Voting will last 24 hours or until all Representatives have voted.

Vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »

Aye
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »

NAY
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »

Nay.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »

Nay
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »

I apologize for not participating in our debate.

Abstain.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:14 AM »

All Representatives have voted.

The vote -

Nay          3

Aye          1

Abstain    1

The bill is defeated.