Make up a map between you and the preceding poster.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:12:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community
  Forum Community Election Match-ups (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Make up a map between you and the preceding poster.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Author Topic: Make up a map between you and the preceding poster.  (Read 52394 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

Democratic Presidential Primary, 1972

In the race to select a candidate to defeat Richard Nixon, Senator Koenkai of New Hampshire and Congressman Joyce of Florida are both candidates.

Joyce runs on a strident anti-war program while Koenkai largely runs on an electability platform, trying to avoid talking about voting in favor of the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, and largely playing up voting in favor of Civil Rights legislation.

Congressman Joyce stuns the country with a surprise, albeit narrow plurality (29%, the nearest candidate having 24%) victory. The field immediately narrows and knowing that Joyce has a lock on the Florida primary, much of the Democratic establishment rallies behind the Senator from New Hampshire, who still goes to win a smaller-than-expected 51%-45% victory in New Hampshire, reminiscent of Johnson in '68.

Much of the establishment is conflicted and several Southern Democrats flee to Governor Noname of Kentucky, a labor-friendly moderate on civil rights issues, in order to try to stop Joyce in Florida. Noname enjoys a surge in polls, but Joyce pulls out a narrow victory in Florida, 49%-44%.

The election immediately moves to Illinois, where Joyce seems to be pulling off a victory as Koenkai and Noname divide up the votes. However, suspicious "late returns" from Cook County quickly put Koenkai over Joyce and Noname, 39%-37%-23%.

Somewhat demoralized, the Joyce campaign moves their battle to Wisconsin, where this time, they managed to win a reasonable 42%-31%-29%.

Koenkai waltzes into Massachusetts confident of a landslide, but a last minute Kennedy endorsement for Joyce torpedoes the Koenkai campaign, and although Koenkai wins Boston proper, Joyce wins most of the state, taking it 54%-44%.

The battle goes toward Pennslyvania where once again, Joyce pulls ahead of a divided field until returns from Philadelphia proper send Koenkai's vote total soaring. 35%-33%-32%.

The Washington D.C. race is brutal as a nasty negative attack fanning unsubstantiated rumors of racism in the Joyce campaign, while reminding voters of Koenkai's civil rights record, blares on DC airwaves. Koenkai turns a 20% deficit in the polls into a 59%-34% victory.

In Indiana, the same ads backfire as Noname accuses Koenkai of ties to "black radical" organizations. This is not helped when the Black Panthers actually endorse Koenkai, a relatively unwanted endorsement. Koenkai sinks in the polls, but Noname actually pulls out a victory against Joyce as many of Koenkai's supporters flee. 41%-35%-24%.

In a tremendous act of incompetence, the Noname campaign actually fails to get his name on the ballot in Ohio. Many of his supporters flee to both candidates, although Koenkai does somewhat better, very narrowly taking the state 46%-45%.

Noname sweeps Tennessee and North Carolina.

Although Koenkai leads in Nebraska due to strong support from rural residents, surburban Omaha turns out in force for Joyce and he takes the state, 49%-43%. Noname sweeps West Virginia.

Maryland is an extremely tough battle, as Noname sweeps Southern Democrats, Koenkai domnates in Maryland, and Joyce dominates everywhere else. Koenkai eventually takes the state, 36-34-29.

On the same day is Michigan, another dead-heat between all three. Joyce narrowly defeats Noname, 39-38-23. The two narrow defeats are exceptionally demoralizing to the Noname campaign and it never really recovers.

Joyce subsequently sweeps Oregon and Rhode Island.

After a very close fight, the bottom falls off of Koenkai's campaign as the Black Panther endorsement comes home to roost. Though Koenkai does win Oakland. Joyce triumps, 55%-42%. This is especially devastating as California's delegates, all 271, are winner-take-all. Joyce also sweeps New Mexico and South Dakota. However, Koenkai pulls off a narrow 51%-48% victory in New Jersey.

The convention is unsurprisingly hung.After an extremely angry and debated floor fight based on how to seat delegates from when and where, Joyce takes 47% of the delegates, to Koenkai's 33% and Noname's 20% Noname subsequently throws his support to Koenkai, but the Indiana delegation as well as Florida delegates pledged to Noname switch their votes to Joyce, allowing him to triumph with 54.3% of the delegates.

Nixon is re-elected.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 02:12:43 PM by Snowstalker »

Pennsylvania Gubernatorial Election, 2014

Treasurer Koenkai-50.7%
State Senator Snowstalker-49.3%

With Koenkai seen as a moderate, Snowstalker runs a left-wing campaign exciting Hispanics in Southeast Pennsylvania and cutting into blue-collar Appalachian areas. However, Koenkai's strong numbers in suburban and most rural areas give him the edge.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »

2016 D Primary

Delegates

Snowstalker- 55%
Miles- 42%
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2012, 05:13:04 AM »

Democratic primary between moderate establishment Gov. Miles of North Carolina and left-wing insurgent a Person, Mayor of Chicago. Mayor a Person manages to own the early primaries but runs out of steam later on.

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »

Democratic Primary between Governor a Person of Illinois and Senator Nagas of Virginia. It is initially a tight contest, but a Person is able to run away with the nomination with strong performances in the Midwest and the South.

Delegates
a Person - 58%
Nagas - 41%
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

Nagas (D-VA) : 285
Supersonic (R-NC) : 253

Sorry to break the trend of Democratic primaries. Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

In 2014, Senator Kay Hagan unexpectedly retires; à la Jim Webb, she cites the frustration of the Senate's gridlock.

Lieutenant Governor Miles runs in the Democratic primary against nclib, who represents the 4th Congressional district. Miles has strong support from Conservative Dems in the southeast eastern region; he also hails from the Charlotte region, which likewise helps in the western region. nclib overperforms in the Triangle, using Orange, Durham and Wake counties as bases, and out in the Triad. On primary day, Miles barely avoids a runoff, beating nclib 46% to 42%.

Congressman Supersonic represents the 5th Congressional district, as he upset Congresswoman Virginia Foxx in the 2012 primary. Despite his outsider status in 2012, when he announced his plans to run for Senate in 2014, the state Republicans largely backed his effort. As such, he won his primary in a landslide.

President Obama's approval rating in NC stands at 43/51. As such, Miles tries to keep his association with the President at arm's length. Still, this gives Supersonic ammunition to attack Miles as an 'Obama liberal.' Likewise, in breaking with the President, Miles further antagonizes progressive Democrats.

In the general, there is still dissatisfaction with Miles in the Triad with liberal Democrats, he noticeably underperforms there as some of nclib's most loyal supporters either stay home or vote third party. Supersonic is very popular in his district and cracks 70% in some counties there. Overall, while the race is one of the closest in the country, Supersonic claims a narrow victory.

Supersonic- 49.3%
Miles- 47.9%
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »

2014: Governor Rick Scott, in the face of 20% approvals, announces he isn't running for re-election.

Representative Miles (FL-02) faces Representative SJoyce (FL-13) in the Democratic primary. Miles wins easily throughout much of the Panhandle and Northern Florida, forming enough of a coalition between ConservaDems and African-American voters to win the nomination. Teacher and Tampa Bay-backed SJoyce initially plans to withdraw gracefully, till it is revealed that (due to the aforementioned low approvals of Scott) is going to cross-endorse Miles. Disgusted, SJoyce declares his independent candidacy, backed by liberal as well as libertarian groups. SJoyce manages to appeal to the more fiscally conservative voters of Southwest Florida, as well as urban liberals and college students, while Miles appeals to traditional Democrats and North Florida voters. In the end Miles' margins among North Floridians as well as soccon/fiscally liberal voters lets him carry the day.

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 09:02:30 PM by Clinton1996 "Sec. of Explaining Stuff" »

We battle it out in a Clinton-Obama style primary war. My coalition of disaffected Republicans, libertarians, moderates, minorities and Clinton/Reagan Democrats can't drown SJoyceFla's support among young liberals, Ron Paul libertarians, wealthy voters, independents, and college students. My strong support among minority rich Southern/South-Western and the Rust Belt states is offset by SJoyceFla's strong support in the Pacific West, Northeast, and Great Plains. SJF's delegate lead becomes insurmountable and I eventually drop out and endorse him and join his ticket.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2012, 07:04:44 AM »

Democratic Primaries, 2012
Senator a Person (IL) - 1,466
Governor Clinton1996 (VA) - 1,599
Others - 126
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »

Democrats have their acts together. Republicans do not, and somehow I get nominated. Things go as expected, with the emergence of a socon 3rd party candidate to attract votes from various Southern states. A Person manages to take back for the Democrats West Virginia with a rather populisty economic message, while the West Coast goes slightly for the Republicans due to a socially liberal message coming from the Republican candidate.

Senator A Person (D-IL): 245 EVs, 43% PV
Rep. SJoyce (R-MT): 235 EVs, 38% PV
Gov. Mike Huckabee (I-AR): 58 EVs, 19% PV
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »

In the Nevada Senatorial election to replace retiring Senator Harry Reid (so keep in mind those demographic shifts), the Republican Party fails to nominate a candidate (due to its takeover) and instead cross-endorses independent candidate SJoyceNev, who has great appeal to libertarian rural Nevada but flops greatly in major cities like the Las Vegas area, which by itself outvotes the rest of the state.

Who's your opponent?
Republican presidential primary between me and SJoyce:

Trying to restore the Republican party to its former greatness, Congressman Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI) runs for the Republican nomination for President.  Senator SJoyce (R-FL) runs as a libertarian-leaning candidate against me and attracts support from college students and similarly-minded voters.  My attempt to rebuild the GOP outside the base goes bust as I am attacked as a RINO by the Tea Party movement and many high-profile Republican Party leaders.  Nonetheless, the South and Plains states, put off by SJoyce's social liberalism, vote for me, while SJoyce wins everywhere else save my home state of Michigan, which goes Oldiesfreak as a favorite-son effect, and Utah, where Mormons are also put off by SJoyce's social liberalism.

Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »

Rep. Oldiesfreak (R-MI) 284
Gov. Thomas D (D-MD) 254

America not quite ready for a queer atheist president Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »

In the Nevada Senatorial election to replace retiring Senator Harry Reid (so keep in mind those demographic shifts), the Republican Party fails to nominate a candidate (due to its takeover) and instead cross-endorses independent candidate SJoyceNev, who has great appeal to libertarian rural Nevada but flops greatly in major cities like the Las Vegas area, which by itself outvotes the rest of the state.

Who's your opponent?
Republican presidential primary between me and SJoyce:

Trying to restore the Republican party to its former greatness, Congressman Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI) runs for the Republican nomination for President.  Senator SJoyce (R-FL) runs as a libertarian-leaning candidate against me and attracts support from college students and similarly-minded voters.  My attempt to rebuild the GOP outside the base goes bust as I am attacked as a RINO by the Tea Party movement and many high-profile Republican Party leaders.  Nonetheless, the South and Plains states, put off by SJoyce's social liberalism, vote for me, while SJoyce wins everywhere else save my home state of Michigan, which goes Oldiesfreak as a favorite-son effect, and Utah, where Mormons are also put off by SJoyce's social liberalism.

In that one it was Morgieb, if I remember right.

-SKIP-
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »

Senator wolfentoad66 of California is expected to easily win the Democratic nomination for president with support from both the moderate (because of economic policy) and liberal (because of social and foreign policy) wings of the party. However, the campaign is upended when left-wing Representative drj101 of Virginia wins Iowa by a hair, a shocking upset given that polls should wolfentoad66 winning by large margins, although closing in the last few days. Analysis shows that because the race was expected to not be competitive, many of wolfentoad66's supporters stayed home, and combined with the naturally low turnout of caucuses this allowed drj101 (whose supporters were more motivated to vote) to win. Wolfentoad66 easily wins the New Hampshire primary, but drj101 wins the South Carolina primary with the support of African-Americans who outnumber Wolfentoad66's white Blue Dog dems. Nevada goes narrowly for drj101 because of union backing and low turnout. Democratic leaders start to take the threat of an candidate they fear is unelectable seriously and go on an all-out offensive for Wolfentoad66. This halts some of drj101's momentum and Wolfentoad66 wins the winner-take-all state of Florida, taking home a huge delegate haul.

On Super Tuesday, Wolfentoad66 takes a large lead in delegates and effectively kills any chance drj101 had of winning the nomination. Drj101 wins Massachusetts and New Mexico and the caucus states of Alaska, Colorado, and Minnesota but loses all other states including some (California, New York, New Jersey) where drj101 was leading in the polls just a week before. Following Super Tuesday, there are calls for drj101 to drop out of the race from many in the party. Drj101 refuses to do so, but by now Wolfentoad66 has a large lead in national polls and considered the presumptive nominee by the media. The drj101 campaign, however, believes it will win the Potomac primary states (DC, MD, VA) in one week, due to a home state effect.

The next three states are wins for Wolfentoad66, even though Lousiana and the Washington caucuses were seen as likely wins for drj101 before Super Tuesday. Maine goes the same way. The Potomac primary in Feb 12 is seen as drj101's last stand. On the 12th, DC goes overwhelmingly for drj101 (as expected) and drj101 wins Maryland too, but by a narrow margin. Drj101's home state of Virginia, however, votes for Wolfentoad66. After this poor performance, drj101 drops out of the race and endorses Wolfentoad66, who goes on to win the general election. Wolfentoad66 appoints drj101 as HHS Secretary as a bone to the liberal wing of the party.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2012, 05:51:44 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)- 329
drj101 (D-VA)- 209

Moderate conservative Congressman Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI), trying to expand the Republican base, wins the GOP nomination after the more conservative vote is split in the nomination campaign.  Democrats nominate liberal Congressman drj101 of Virginia.  What would have been a solid Democrat victory suddenly becomes a close race.  Drj101 attacks me (Oldiesfreak1854) on social issues, but I deflect much of the criticism by running a campaign based on economic issues and downplaying social issues, making large inroads with suburban voters.  I also counteratttack by successfully portraying drj101 as a left-wing extremist on both economic and social issues.  By the time drj realizes his attacks aren't working and attempt to change strategy, it's too late.  I win the Electoral College by the modest margin of 329-209, carrying a significant number of swing states and running up Republican numbers in many Democratic-leaning states.  Nonetheless, drj still manages to carry Virginia as a home-state effect and due to his higher name recognition there.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »

I'd love to do a GOP MI Governor primary map, but I don't know enough about counties and such to do that. So instead I'll do a GOP presidential primary. Better yet, since you like Rockefeller and I like Goldwater, let's do 1964.

The year is 1964. With Nelson Rockefeller backing out of the race for president due to his recent divorce and rumors of extra-martial affairs, liberal Republican Governor Oldies Freak of Michigan is instead put forward in his place. Meanwhile, Barry Goldwater, after continually declining to run for President, instead endorses Illinois Congressman Cath Con. Governor Freak inherents Rocky's money and endorsements while Congressman Con gets Goldwater's organization and volunteers. With two different types of Mid-Western Republicans doing battle for the nomination, who will win?

March 10th: In the first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary, the bitter conservative Cathcon manages to pull off a narrow victory, thanks mainly to the endorsement of the New Hampshire Union Leader as well as a number of state politicians and Styles Bridges' widow.

April 7th: With Oldiesfreak scrambling to make sure he can get in a victory before the Illinois primary in which Cathcon is heavily favored, money is poured into the Wisconsin primary and pays off, despite the closeness of the race.

April 14th: In the Illinois primary, Congressman Cathcon is able to win a >70% victory due to his status as one of its representatives as well as the endorsement of Everett Dirksen. Governor Oldiesfreak instead opted to allocate resources towards North-Eastern primaries.

April 21st: In the New Jersey primary, Oldiesfreak wins big thanks to Cathcon still reveling in his Illinois victory and its status as a moderate North-Eastern state.

April 28th:
In both Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, Oldiesfreak wins. The endorsements of men like John Volpe, Henry Cabot Lodge Jr., and William Warren Scranton have done the trick.

May 1st:
In Washington D.C., Oldisefreak wins with over eighty percent of the vote.

May 5th:
In what seems a fitting response to Freak's double win on the 28th, Cathcon takes both Ohio and Indiana, two Mid-Western states that suit his style of campaign.

May 12th:
While Cathcon takes Nebraska, Oldiesfreak is the only one on the ballot in West Virginia.

May 15th:
Oregon, a state where moderate and liberal Republicans are common, easily votes for Oldiesfreak who is endored by the state's dovish Governor Mark Hatfield.

May 19th:
On the whole a Democratic state, the few Republicans who are there are pro-Civil Rights moderates and liberals and Oldiesfreak scores another easy victory. However, the contentious California primary approaches.

May 26th:
Singing to the tune of states' rights, Congressman Cathcon wins his first victory since Nebraska in the conservative state of Florida.

June 2nd:
In the hotly contested California primary, volunteers and employees for both organizations heavily blanket the state with advertisements. A number of Cathcon's supporters in Orange County open up independent campaign organizations, making commercials used to appeal to fears of African-Americans, especially following Johnson's signing of the Civil Rights Act of [whatever year, 1964 I think]. Meanwhile, Senator Thomas Kuchel endorses Oldiesfreak who has the obvious money advantage and dominates advertising. In the closest race of the primary season, Oldiesfreak narrowly wins. Turnout reached incredibly high levels. The only good news for Cathcon is his win in South Dakota.

Green-Governor Oldiesfreak1854 of Michigan
Blue-Senator Cathcon of Illinois

At the RNC, Oldiesfreak1854 is able to secure a plurality of delegates on the first ballot and a majority on the second following Cathcon's dropping out of the race. Governor Freak chooses William Scranton for Vice President.

(Also, and I forgot to mention this, fears of religion were used in both campaigns. However the candidates themselves chose not to pursue that line, knowing they could be attacked in kind)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

Oh, this'll be interesting...

So I, being myself, gain the Democratic nomination through some kind of convention trickery and witchcraft and sorcery, all that good stuff. I have the pleasure of facing off with Gov. Oldiesfreak (R-MI), who is angling to be the first Seventh Day Adventist President (I am aiming to be the twelfth or thirteenth Episcopalian President, depending on whether you count GWB). From the start, it's an interesting race, with states like Alaska and Montana swinging rather strongly towards my libertarian philosophy, while some states in the Rust Belt and Northeast going to Oldiesfreak, with he being a relatively moderate Rust Belt Republican (with even states like Massachusetts swinging, Oldiesfreak running a Romneyesque campaign). Last-minute gaffes by Oldiesfreak (yadda yadda yadda Civil War stuff) hand me states like Georgia and Texas (also rather libertarian states) and make the rest of the region close. I win almost all of the West, exempting the heavily conservative Idaho and Utah, while Oldiesfreak triumphs Midwest-wise and takes advantage of extremely depressed Democratic turnout coupled with his Vermont-ness to take much of the Northeast back into the hands of the Republicans. Final score is a tie:

EDIT: Damn it Cathcon.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »

(Also, and I forgot to mention this, fears of religion were used in both campaigns. However the candidates themselves chose not to pursue that line, knowing they could be attacked in kind)

A Republican primary in 1964 between an Adventist and a Catholic would have been very interesting.

-SKIP-
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

SJoyceFla (D-FL): 292 EVs
Goldwater (R-WA): 246 EVs
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »

Skippin' over me like that. Sad
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »

Cathcon: I'll do the MI Governor Republican primary map for you, at some point.  Not tonight, since it's getting too late.  Maybe tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »

A Republican primary in 1964 between an Adventist and a Catholic would have been very interesting.

-SKIP-
Let me guess: since I'm an Adventist and you're a Catholic, the Adventist clergy tried to scare their congregations by telling them that you would establish a national Sunday law, and Catholic priests played on fears of persecution from an Adventist president.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »

Cathcon: I'll do the MI Governor Republican primary map for you, at some point.  Not tonight, since it's getting too late.  Maybe tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. Smiley

Did you agree with the primary results?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »

Great, with all of this talking now I'm gonna get skipped. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24  
« previous next »