Make up a map between you and the preceding poster. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:02:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community
  Forum Community Election Match-ups (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Make up a map between you and the preceding poster. (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Make up a map between you and the preceding poster.  (Read 52456 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »

In the Nevada Senatorial election to replace retiring Senator Harry Reid (so keep in mind those demographic shifts), the Republican Party fails to nominate a candidate (due to its takeover) and instead cross-endorses independent candidate SJoyceNev, who has great appeal to libertarian rural Nevada but flops greatly in major cities like the Las Vegas area, which by itself outvotes the rest of the state.

Who's your opponent?
Republican presidential primary between me and SJoyce:

Trying to restore the Republican party to its former greatness, Congressman Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI) runs for the Republican nomination for President.  Senator SJoyce (R-FL) runs as a libertarian-leaning candidate against me and attracts support from college students and similarly-minded voters.  My attempt to rebuild the GOP outside the base goes bust as I am attacked as a RINO by the Tea Party movement and many high-profile Republican Party leaders.  Nonetheless, the South and Plains states, put off by SJoyce's social liberalism, vote for me, while SJoyce wins everywhere else save my home state of Michigan, which goes Oldiesfreak as a favorite-son effect, and Utah, where Mormons are also put off by SJoyce's social liberalism.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2012, 05:51:44 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)- 329
drj101 (D-VA)- 209

Moderate conservative Congressman Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI), trying to expand the Republican base, wins the GOP nomination after the more conservative vote is split in the nomination campaign.  Democrats nominate liberal Congressman drj101 of Virginia.  What would have been a solid Democrat victory suddenly becomes a close race.  Drj101 attacks me (Oldiesfreak1854) on social issues, but I deflect much of the criticism by running a campaign based on economic issues and downplaying social issues, making large inroads with suburban voters.  I also counteratttack by successfully portraying drj101 as a left-wing extremist on both economic and social issues.  By the time drj realizes his attacks aren't working and attempt to change strategy, it's too late.  I win the Electoral College by the modest margin of 329-209, carrying a significant number of swing states and running up Republican numbers in many Democratic-leaning states.  Nonetheless, drj still manages to carry Virginia as a home-state effect and due to his higher name recognition there.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »

Cathcon: I'll do the MI Governor Republican primary map for you, at some point.  Not tonight, since it's getting too late.  Maybe tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »

(Also, and I forgot to mention this, fears of religion were used in both campaigns. However the candidates themselves chose not to pursue that line, knowing they could be attacked in kind)

A Republican primary in 1964 between an Adventist and a Catholic would have been very interesting.

-SKIP-
Let me guess: since I'm an Adventist and you're a Catholic, the Adventist clergy tried to scare their congregations by telling them that you would establish a national Sunday law, and Catholic priests played on fears of persecution from an Adventist president.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:11:44 AM »

Great, with all of this talking now I'm gonna get skipped. Tongue
Don't worry, Goldwater, I'll get to you after the MI governor primary between me and Cathcon.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:21 PM »

Cathcon: I'll do the MI Governor Republican primary map for you, at some point.  Not tonight, since it's getting too late.  Maybe tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. Smiley

Did you agree with the primary results?
Yeah, except I don't understand why Everett Dirksen would support you over me (except that you were from Illinois in that matchup and maybe even more in line with him on everything except civil rights.)  As for the GOP MI Governor primary map, here's mine:

Oldiesfreak1854- 54%
Cathcon- 46%

Cathcon gets the conservative base, but I win the primary with a coalition on moderate-conservative Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

I'll get to you later, Goldwater.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »

Here you are, Goldwater:

Oldiesfreak1854
Goldwater

(I would allocate delegates but I don't have any concrete numbers to use.)

In one of the closest Republican nomination battles in history, Governor Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI) defeats Congressman Goldwater (R-WA) in what is portrayed as a battle between the mainstream conservative establishment within the Republican Party and it emering libertarian-leaning wing.  Goldwater wins overwhelmingly in conservative-leaning states in the South and West, while Oldiesfreak, with his modertae demeanor, carries the Northeast, Upper Midwest, the Western swing states, and the West Coast, except for Goldwater's home state of Washington, which turns out to be closer than expected.  However, Goldwater's margins in the eastern part of the state, including around Spokane, makes up for a libertarian-fiscal conservative split in King County and the other areas surrounding Seattle.  In the Upper Midwest, Indiana turns out to be the closest state.  Goldwater carries the southern part of the state, while Oldiesfreak carries the areas surrounding Indianapolis, the manufacturing areas along Lake Michigan, and the Michiana area (where voters in and around South Bend had become familiar with his record as Governor of Michigan) to carry the state.

General Election

Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)- 313
Senator Scott (D-CT)- 225
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »

Republican Nomination

20RP12
Oldiesfreak1854
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:59 AM »

Oldiesfreak1854- 317
LiberalJunkie99- 221

I win a close election with a coalition of working class Rust Belt voters, fiscal conservatives, and the conservative base by prioritizing economic issues.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:03:07 PM »

jerryarkansas- 363
Oldiesfreak- 175
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »

Country Roads - 270 EVs
Goldwater - 268 EVs

Country Roads is able to pull of a very close victory by attacking my liberal stance on social issues & accusing me of being out of touch with working class Americans.
If you're so liberal on social issues, then I would think you would carry most of the Upper Midwest.

SKIP
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

That's about right, not so shabby in the midwest, great in the west, and the East Coast would be hard to crack.
I would think Clinton would win in a landslide.
SKIP
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »

In a historical event, the Republican Party nominates its first African-American candidate Oldiesfreak, emphasizing the party's need to return to its historical roots as the party of Lincoln. Oldiesfreak enters the campaign with a comfortable lead over the Democratic nominee, Antonio V, who is perceived as a radical librul soshulist commie. However, a series of disparaging remarks by Oldiesfreak outrages the South, prompting the candidacy of a "Southern Pride" ticket. Oldies' support in the South completely collapses, and despite retaining a slight lead in many northern Dem States, he ends up third on Election Day.

Antonio V/Amy Klobuchar (D): 47.3%, 229 EV
Mike Beebe/Jeff Sessions (SP): 20.8%, 177 EV
Oldiesfreak/Sam Brownback (R): 31.9%, 132 EV

The election goes to the House, where the split is clear along partisan and geographic lines:

I'm white and I said skip, but OK.

Antonio: 16
Oldies: 15
Beebe: 15
Tie: 4

After weeks of deadlock, a deal is reached between Southerners and Democrats (who control the Senate), and Beebe is elected President with Klobuchar as VP.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »

TNF (D-KY)- 411
Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)- 127
For much of the summer, TNF leads by a small margin, until my controversial comments about the South and TNF's status as a Southern moderate cost me several Southern states.  Only the most Republican-leaning states in the South go for me, but they become some of the closest states in the election.  The perception of TNF as a moderate gives him every state in the Northeast and Upper Midwest except Indiana (which I carry with a small majority), and nearly flips Arizona and Montana.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »

The election would end up being one of the most unique and historic elections of all time, with an African-American Republican ticket facing off against one of the most conservative Democratic tickets in all of history.

Governor Oldiesfreak (R-MI)/Senator Simfan (R-NY) - 286 EVs
Senator Goldwater (D-WA)/Governor Idaho Blue Dog Dem (D-ID) - 252 EVs
How did you end up running as a Democrat rather than running against me for the GOP nomination?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »

Sen. HagridoftheDeep (R-SC)
Gov. Oldiesfreak (R-MI)

One of the most exciting races for the Republican nomination starts out as a close two-way race between Governor Oldiesfreak of Michigan and Senator Hagrid of South Carolina.  After Oldiesfreak wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, it seems apparent that he has won the nomination, but Hagrid vows to take the race to Southern contests where he is strongest.  Shortly before the South Carolina primary, various credible sources leak to the press and the media some past comments by Oldiesfreak that were demeaning to the South.  Hagrid, who was leading comfortably in South Carolina prior to the reports, suddenly skyrockets in state polls and wins the state by a landslide.  Oldiesfreak's problems compound when various Catholic priests and bishops begin questioning whether his status as an Adventist would lead him to enact anti-Catholic policies.  Italian and Irish Catholic enclaves in the Northeast and Chicago quickly desert him.  Oldiesfreak still wins those contests due to his strength with moderates, but his margins are greatly reduced from his showing in the polls prior to the controversy.  Despite wins in New York and California, Oldiesfreak becomes too battered and damaged to recover, and Hagrid easily wins the nomination.

Rep. Snowstalker (C-PA)/Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin (C-WV): 280 EVs
Sen. SJoyce (R-FL)/Gov. Brian Sandoval (R-NV): 258 EVs

Rep. Snowstalker and his running mate Gov. Tomblin manage to build an Appalachian-Rust Belt alliance for the Cogendist Party. He promptly decrees the American Cogendist Union and dismisses the Congress.
Don't you mean to put a D by Tomblin's name?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »

Governor TNF (D-KY): 395
Governor Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI): 143
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »

US Army General Mung Beans (D-CA) - 303 EV, 49.2%
Governor Anton Kreitzer (R-WY) - 235 EV, 48.5%

Centrist General Mung Beans beats conservative Australian expat turned Governor Anton Kreitzer, although the result is fairly close in the popular vote:

How would you be eligible if you're an expat from Australia?
SKIP
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »

Goldwater (Republican) - 276 EVs
Scott (Democratic) - 262 EVs
How did Goldwater lose a libertarian state like New Hampshire but carry Maine?

SKIP
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »

Sen. TNF (D-KY): 357
Gov. Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI): 181
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 09:56:27 AM »

I can think of no conceivable scenario in which the Republican candidate loses the entire South and still wins in modern day, so I used the 1976 map. Tongue

Oldiesfreak1854 (Republican) - 292
Scott (Democratic) - 246
I don't think I would lose the entire South in modern day, but I would probably lose some of the more competitive states.  And how did I lose in Ohio?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »

Rep. SLValleyMan (D-UT): 307
Gov. Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI): 231
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »

Sen. TNF (D-KY)/Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY): 367
Gov. Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)/Sen. John Thune (R-SD): 171
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2013, 06:41:44 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Sen. TNF (D-KY)/Sen. Eugene McCarthy (D-MN): 394 (53% PV)
Gov. Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)/Gov. John A. Volpe (R-MA): 144 (44% PV)

After President Johnson decides to forgo reelection, Senator TNF of Kentucky wins the Democratic nomination by uniting the Democratic base (populists, New Deal liberals, unions, and Catholics).  Initially planning a campaign of his own, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, realizing the uphill battle he would face against TNF, endorses him instead.  Likewise, Senator Bobby Kennedy, thought to be TNF's strongest opponent for the nomination, is assassinated in June, which all but secures the nomination for TNF.  Though the Senator is a supporter of civil rights legislation, he stays relatively silent on the subject during the campaign in order to maintain his strong populist and Southern support.  This earns him the support of many segregationists in his party, such as Governors George Wallace and Lester Maddox and Senator Robert Byrd, as well as Republican Senator Strom Thurmond.  He also has the strong backing of labor, receiving support from union leaders such as Jimmy Hoffa.  At the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, TNF chooses Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy as his running mate, citing his strong opposition to the Vietnam War.

In the Republican nomination contest, moderate Governor Oldiesfreak1854 of Michigan secures the Republican nomination with token opposition.  His only serious challenger is Governor Ronald Reagan of California, who inserts his name at the convention, but by then, the nomination has already been decided.  Governor Oldiesfreak is a strong supporter of civil rights legislation and fiscal conservatism, and as such, draws significant support from wealthier voters.  However, he is also a strong anti-Communist and opposes the militant tactics of black liberation and anti-war protesters.  Similar to Humphrey on the Democratic side, Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York endorses Oldiesfreak after recognizing his strong support from the liberal and moderate wings of the party.  The Governor also receives early backing from former Vice President Richard Nixon.  At the Republican National Convention, Oldiesfreak chooses Governor John A. Volpe of Massachusetts.

In the general election campaign, Oldiesfreak attacks TNF as weak on civil rights and attempts to tie his economic policy to communism.  He also promises an honorable end to the Vietnam War, promoting a "chicken hawk" policy of de-escalation without complete withdrawal.  TNF accuses Oldiesfreak of being a tool of wealthy bankers and businessmen while promising a complete withdrawal from Vietnam.  In a seeming reversal of 1960, Governor Oldiesfreak also comes under fire for his religious affiliation, which TNF uses to portray the Governor as anti-Catholic, thus further strengthening the latter's Catholic support.  Polls leading up to the election suggest a close contest, but on Election Day, TNF wins comfortably, winning the popular vote 53-44% (with 3% voting third party), and taking the Electoral College 394-144.  Despite accusations of fraud by Republicans, Oldiesfreak refuses to ask for recounts, realizing that TNF's margin of victory is too wide to change the outcome.  TNF narrowly carries Illinois with the help of some dead-vote magic from Mayor Daley, and his strengh with Catholics and labor proves too strong for Oldiesfreak to even carry his home state of Michigan, which he takes by one of the narrowest margins of any state.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »

The Radical faction of the Republican party found itself triumphant at the year's party convention. The Radicals, which had held a very strong position of power in the party after the 1866 elections, were now prepared to take the Presidency. The question remained, however, of who would lead the party to victory. With General Ulysses S. Grant as well as several Congressional leaders bowing out or proving unsuccessful, the nomination went to favorite son Oldies Freak of Michigan. A former Michigan Governor, Lincoln Secretary of the Interior, and Lt. Colonel in the Civil War for his own home state of Michigan, in 1866, Freak had entered the Halls of Congress as part of the Radicals' strong congressional gains. A proud radical and anti-secessionist who had resigned his position in the cabinet in 1862 to "take the fight to Johnny Reb", Freak came from the Mid-Western social Gospel tradition of the Republican Party: anti-slavery, pro-temperance, pro-tariff, and anti-immigration. A Protestant and nativist, several of Oldies Freak's political confidants held nativist and anti-Catholic sentiments.

The Democrats, for their measure, nominated New York Governor Cath Con. The Presbyterian son of Scots-Irish immigrants with a Catholic father, Con had made his career as a foot-soldier for Tammany Hall. Derided by many as "Tweed's candidate", Con nevertheless intended to represent the party proudly. With slavery a settled issue and the war won, Construction was the key political issue. While Con had been a unionist during the war, he and his surrogates called for an end to Reconstruction and "Return to Normalcy". As well, in the East great political hay was made of Freak's stance on temperance, driving up the number of immigrants and Catholics that went to the voting booth in Con's favor.

Mid-campaign, while addressing a crowd of Union war veterans in Ohio, Oldies Freak made the claim that he didn't "care if Reconstructions stretches on  for a century." Having, "no problems if Union soldiers were stationed in the South well into the future". The Cath Con campaign attempted to drive up numbers of white Southerners as well as moderates in border and Mid-West states using what was called "needless war-making". Nevertheless, the Republicans would not be so easily un-seated. Oldies' surrogates worked across the country to bring Union veterans to the polls to ensure victory. Weeks after election day, counts were still being debated in New York, Ohio, Indiana, and the entire Reconstruction South where Union soldies and blacks were in a state of semi-war with white Southerners. Republicans charged that, should Democrats win, it would be the result of "Immigrants, Papists, drunkards, and traitors" while Cath Con's campaign claimed that the entire Republican campaign had been predicated on denying Southerners and Catholics the right to vote. A Republican preacher would make the claim that a Democratic victory meant a victory for "Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion". However, he had little to worry about when, after all other states were settled, Arkansas, Alabama, and North Carolina gave Oldies Freak a win over New York Governor Cath Con.

Congressman Oldies Freak (R-MI)/Senator Charles Sumner (R-MA) 164 electoral votes, 51.3% of the popular vote
Governor Cath Con (D-MI)/Former Congressman Francis Preston Blair, Jr. (D-MO) 130 electoral votes, 48.7% of the popular vote
Did you make me a nativist and anti-Catholic because of my religious affiliation? Smiley

SKIP
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies