SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:38:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18636 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »

Abstain
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2013, 01:16:52 AM »

By a vote of 2-0-1, the NSC endorses Nix's bill.

And so ends this session of the NSC. I  hope to see y'all next session!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »

Alright guys.  Take a few days to settle into your offices, and we will then begin hearings on the three bills Joyce has written up and I've introduced Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »

Alright guys.  Take a few days to settle into your offices, and we will then begin hearings on the three bills Joyce has written up and I've introduced Smiley

NO SETTLE TIME, WORK NOW!!! Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »

Hearings will begin tonight or tomorrow.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »

Let's begin!  Joyce, please explain to us why these bills are necessary.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

Alrighty, going down the list:

-TRICARE Reform (introduced by Sen. Nix): TRICARE is the military health care program. To what extent TRICARE has been replaced/reformed by Fritzcare is not entirely clear; introducing this legislation would also be a way to determine that before the proposed reforms are implemented.
-Retirement Reform (introduced by Sen. Nix): In the interests of saving time, just skim my remarks in Mr. Marokai's campaign thread.
-Budget stuff: These two related pieces of legislation (separated in order to separate those that would affect the services and those that would affect the DoEA in general) are designed to allow for a reduction in defense spending while preserving current defense plans to the greatest extent possible in an effort to minimize potential vulnerabilities. It would keep the military capable of addressing a wide range of possible threats around the world, while achieving substantial cost savings. While it reduces LCS, F-35s, Army modernization and missile defense programs, it reinvests much of the savings into platforms such as DDG-51s, F/A-18s, F-16s, Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and trucks. It also returns the Army and Marine Corps to end strengths near their 2001 levels. I can provide further analysis of the potential risks of this legislation if you need it.
-UNCLOS: This would ratify the Law of the Sea treaty. Presently, the Atlasian military relies on customary international law regarding navigation in and above the sea, and customary law can change as practices change. This would codify reasonable, responsible maritime territory claims in an international legal framework which cannot be manipulated by any other states. It also provides through the ITLOS a way to resolve territorial and natural resource disputes with other states who have signed the treaty; Atlasia cannot participate in that framework without ascending to the treaty. Additionally, there would be massive economic benefits; we would have exclusive rights to manage the resources in areas near the coast. Atlasian corporations could also apply for ISA licenses in order to exploit resources in the deep seabed.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »

I would like to see additional information on the risks, yes.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2013, 03:06:19 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

DoEA Risk Analysis, Budget Plan

The risks associated with this plan are both modest and acceptable. Although it alters some programs, it preserves the bulk of defense capabilities. <1% of cuts go to naval forces, 3% to air forces, 19% to ground forces, and 77% to department-wide activities. It sustains but realigns our naval and air forces to face future threats. While we would field fewer planned new system such as the LCS and F-35, we would retain a powerful assortment of new platforms, such as the Ford-class carrier, Virginia-class submarine, F-22, and a large contingent of F-35s, along with highly capable platforms such as F/A-18s and DDG-51s. This is capable of deterring, or defeating, any potential adversary.

The alteration to the LCS program would result in a smaller overall fleet of surface vessels; however, alternative forward basing and crew rotation arrangements mean this would have a minimal effect. The 25% cut to the F-35 could potentially cause Atlasian allies to abandon the jet due to increased unit costs; however, they have invested in its development and we do not believe they would be quick to drop an investment. The reduction in Army and Marine end strength is connected to a planned reduction in operational tempo, and with a focus on the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions, ground forces will play a less central role in future power projection. The size reductions will return us to the active-duty force size and readiness of the 1990s, which will be adequate for current and anticipated global threats. The cancellation/reductions in the GCV, JLTV, and JTRS programs would mean ground forces would rely on existing systems; however, improving current systems will meet our needs for the next decade (we have lost fewer vehicles from battle losses and maintenance failures than anticipated in recent conflicts). We shall continue to pursue R&D so we are prepared to meet future challenges.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

Why has only one member of this committee been posting in it?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »

Alrighty, going down the list:

-TRICARE Reform (introduced by Sen. Nix): TRICARE is the military health care program. To what extent TRICARE has been replaced/reformed by Fritzcare is not entirely clear; introducing this legislation would also be a way to determine that before the proposed reforms are implemented.
-Retirement Reform (introduced by Sen. Nix): In the interests of saving time, just skim my remarks in Mr. Marokai's campaign thread.
-Budget stuff: These two related pieces of legislation (separated in order to separate those that would affect the services and those that would affect the DoEA in general) are designed to allow for a reduction in defense spending while preserving current defense plans to the greatest extent possible in an effort to minimize potential vulnerabilities. It would keep the military capable of addressing a wide range of possible threats around the world, while achieving substantial cost savings. While it reduces LCS, F-35s, Army modernization and missile defense programs, it reinvests much of the savings into platforms such as DDG-51s, F/A-18s, F-16s, Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and trucks. It also returns the Army and Marine Corps to end strengths near their 2001 levels. I can provide further analysis of the potential risks of this legislation if you need it.
-UNCLOS: This would ratify the Law of the Sea treaty. Presently, the Atlasian military relies on customary international law regarding navigation in and above the sea, and customary law can change as practices change. This would codify reasonable, responsible maritime territory claims in an international legal framework which cannot be manipulated by any other states. It also provides through the ITLOS a way to resolve territorial and natural resource disputes with other states who have signed the treaty; Atlasia cannot participate in that framework without ascending to the treaty. Additionally, there would be massive economic benefits; we would have exclusive rights to manage the resources in areas near the coast. Atlasian corporations could also apply for ISA licenses in order to exploit resources in the deep seabed.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to speak before this committee, Secretary SJoyce.  These proposals all seem like reasonable, common-sense proposals and they have my support Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »

Didn't see this.  Tongue

I completely second what Mr. X said. Reforming the military retirement system needs to be done. Too many brave men and women have served,. only to feel ignored and lost after doing so. In my opinion people in our military ought to receive an extremely high priority as they defend our nation and allow the entire Democratic process we have today to occur. I also endorse ratification of the treaty.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

Chairman, by my count now you have not posted here in five days, Why is that? (it might be four but its a month change in there and I really don't care at this point Tongue).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »

Since nobody seems interested anymore, we'll begin voting on whether or not to approve these pieces of legislation.

I vote AYE on all of them.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

I vote AYE on all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

Aye on all
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »

Since nobody seems interested anymore, we'll begin voting on whether or not to approve these pieces of legislation.

I vote AYE on all of them.

This shall not be tolerated. If interest dies, IT SHALL BE COMPELLED AND BROUGHT FORTHWITH BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!! blood litteraly dripping from this text visually Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:38 AM »

Oh for heaven's sake man. What the hell is going on here?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »

All relevant bills have been considered and there are no executive actions for us to deal with right now.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2013, 03:03:53 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

There's the ratification of a couple of bits of the Geneva Conventions that we haven't ratified yet sitting in my office, if one of you gentlemen would like to introduce them and then debate them here.

Also, you've got a Trade Commission to appoint, IIRC. I was going to try to push some major international trade agreement work shortly, so that could be something to take up.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:34 AM »

NOW YOU CUT THAT FENCE AND GET THIS GOD DAMN PLATOON ON THE MOVE!!!!!!

overdo for a Band of Brothers ftw reference Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2013, 02:53:50 AM »

Fitting, quote a war miniseries for the NSC committee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »

I know why you are moaning, its because you didn't think of the damn thing yourself. Tongue

lol George Carlin FTW!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies